How Was Your Swim Today?

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
User avatar
velvetparlour
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: Brisbane Qld Aus

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby velvetparlour » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:11 am

SarahL wrote:Eeeek something went ping on my run / walk yesterday. Worried that I mightve reawokem my stress fracture in my ankle


I hear ya, gotta nurse it back slowly slowly, hopefully not too much of a setback - and there is always the pool....

weuer wrote:Finals day today. Came 6th in my event because two people DNS. :P


was it fly? where you happy with yr time?

Bjoern Staben wrote:I tell ya, it was awesome....
Then go there and have a try. It's worth it. ;)


checked out the options in Brisbane, can book the velodrome, 2 hour minimum - not sure if they have bikes
gonna do it tho if possible, you've convinced me

Swam 4 tonight - bloody tired, felt like a slug in custard

1km free
500m free pull
700m fin kick variations
6 x 100m free 80%
200m loosen
500m drills and kick
400m free - tt
100m drowning warm down

later
Julian
Where reason cannot wade there faith may swim

weuer
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:40 pm
Location: Hong Kong, China
Contact:

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby weuer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:31 am

velvetparlour wrote:was it fly? where you happy with yr time?


My time was almost a whole second slower than in the heats, so I was kinda disappointed, but I'm quite happy with getting 6th. :P Next target is to ramp up training schedule to lower my time to 29 seconds by June. hehe

Bjoern Staben wrote:
weuer wrote:Hehe. I guess. There's only one velodrome in Hong Kong; at the Hong Kong Sports Institute.

Then go there and have a try. It's worth it. ;)


Eh, I don't think it's open to the public... :(

User avatar
SarahL
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: London, England

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby SarahL » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Velvet you do make me laugh! Slug in custard LOL :) :lol:
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

User avatar
Bjoern Staben
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Erkrath, Germany
Contact:

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby Bjoern Staben » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:37 pm

weuer wrote:
velvetparlour wrote:was it fly? where you happy with yr time?


My time was almost a whole second slower than in the heats, so I was kinda disappointed, but I'm quite happy with getting 6th. :P Next target is to ramp up training schedule to lower my time to 29 seconds by June. hehe

Bjoern Staben wrote:
weuer wrote:Hehe. I guess. There's only one velodrome in Hong Kong; at the Hong Kong Sports Institute.

Then go there and have a try. It's worth it. ;)


Eh, I don't think it's open to the public... :(

Ah, sounds like they're going to build a new one:

http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.p ... ist&cid=hk

I'm pretty sure if you ask them you could join for a taster as they are normally quite happy introducing 'newbies' to the sport.
One week without training makes one weak.

weuer
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:40 pm
Location: Hong Kong, China
Contact:

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby weuer » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Bjoern Staben wrote:Ah, sounds like they're going to build a new one:

http://www.fixedgearfever.com/modules.p ... ist&cid=hk

I'm pretty sure if you ask them you could join for a taster as they are normally quite happy introducing 'newbies' to the sport.


Just looked it up. Apparently, the Sports Institute one has been demolished, while the address of the temporary velodrome refuses to be found on the internet and the new one will be completed in 2012... (>_>) Oh well, I don't think I could enter anyway... A pity, but at least there are plenty of swimming pools :)

User avatar
SarahL
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: London, England

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby SarahL » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:38 pm

I swam!

Lovely swim. Wore new tri suit - strange wearing cycling shorts attached to all in one body unit, including built in bra in the pool!

it felt gooooood!

Session as follows, Pool Mate watch info where available:

WARM UP
108mts freestyle 1m58s 16strokes/25mts 108s/100mts eff 38
108mts backstroke 2m13s 24strokes/25mts 123s/100mts eff 47
216mts fins, up Popov, down fs
108mts kick board no fins
108mts freestyle

BUILD 6 x 2 lengths, easy up, fast back
1) 72mts 1m14s 16strokes/25mts 102s/100mts eff 37
2) 72mts 1m13s 17strokes/25mts 101s/100mts eff 37
3) 72mts 1m16s 18strokes/25mts 105s/100mts eff 39
4) 72mts 1m18s 21strokes/25mts 108s/100mts eff 42
5) 72mts 1m16s 18strokes/25mts 105s/100mts eff 39
6) 72mts 1m16s 18strokes/25mts 105s/100mts eff 39

Erm - WELL CHUFFED with the efficiency below 40 on these. Reminder of the scales:

more than 70 = below average
50-70 = average
40-50 = above average
30-40 = very good
less than 30 = excellent -professinoal athlete

Just need to be able to get faster now LOL

MAIN SET 8 x 5 lengths, drills
1) 180mts 3m22s 18strokes/25mts 112s/100mts eff 41 - fs
2) 180mts 3m34s 20strokes/25mts 118s/100mts eff 43 - fs
3) 180mts 3m36s 20strokes/25mts 120s/100mts eff 44 - fs
4) 180mts 3m28s 19strokes/25mts 115s/100mts eff 42 - fs
5) 180mts as pull buoy, paddles and bands round ankles
6) 180mts as pull buoy, paddles and bands round ankles
7) 72mts bands only (couldn't manage 5 lengths, nearly drowned)
8) 180mts - fs (untimed)

WARM DOWN
144mts - fs (untimed)

Very pleased. Total 2772mts

Does anyone else really struggle with bands. I literally drown. I'm not joking here. I just sink like a stone and have no strength to do freestyle arms as I'm virtually perpendicualr in the water. It's horrbile.

Home, dinner on the table (meat balls, nom one of my favs!) and now an episode of Lost!

I struggle a bit getting the motivation to go to the pool, but without a shadow of a doubt I never ever regret it and always have fun and enjoy it!

Although today I did most of my swimming in the "slow" lane. Which I found rather embarrassing for the slow people who were in the medium lane. WHY????? Grrrr. Still, pretty much had the slow lane to myself which was nice!

Bye.
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

User avatar
Bjoern Staben
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Erkrath, Germany
Contact:

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby Bjoern Staben » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:48 pm

Wow. Should do some swimming as well but can't be bothered in the moment.

Was interval session on the track tonight.

5 laps wu
6 laps a 1:45min/rest 1:45
5 laps cd

Like running fast. -ish.
One week without training makes one weak.

User avatar
Nat the rat aka nuts
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby Nat the rat aka nuts » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:02 pm

Hi All
day three without a swim and busy at work:
I am sundeprived...

slightly grumpy...

and keen to do the squad swim followed by 1-2-1 after purchasing my poolmate

keep swimming

Rat
Nat the Rat

No apologies, no regrets

User avatar
SarahL
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: London, England

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby SarahL » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Nat the rat aka nuts wrote:and keen to do the squad swim followed by 1-2-1 after purchasing my poolmate


Hope you make it to the pool and enjoy your Pool Mate! :)
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

weuer
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:40 pm
Location: Hong Kong, China
Contact:

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby weuer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Not done any swimming, since now that the meet is over, I'm resting my left shoulder. I can already feel improvement in the flexibility and there's less pain. I'm pretty sure I'll be well enough to swim on Monday. This has been a good lesson, teaching me that I must stretch thoroughly. hehe. Even though it's not a serious injury, it still hurt terribly; I can only imagine how your leg injuries must feel like, Sarah, Nat...

And then on Tuesday, there's a cross-country meet, 4k. And the Athletics heats I mentioned earlier is on Thursday - I shall skive the shot-put and long-jump events (two field events was mandatory...) and just do the 400, 800 and 1500 runs. XD

SarahL wrote:Does anyone else really struggle with bands. I literally drown. I'm not joking here. I just sink like a stone and have no strength to do freestyle arms as I'm virtually perpendicular in the water. It's horrible.


I've never used the bands, myself, but I've tried swimming a little bit without legs. Basically, you need to pull with enough power to drag the legs along like how the person is dragged along in water-skiing. I think maybe using more of the EVF technique may pull you along better.

User avatar
SarahL
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: London, England

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby SarahL » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:37 pm

weuer wrote:Not done any swimming, since now that the meet is over, I'm resting my left shoulder. I can already feel improvement in the flexibility and there's less pain. I'm pretty sure I'll be well enough to swim on Monday. This has been a good lesson, teaching me that I must stretch thoroughly. hehe. Even though it's not a serious injury, it still hurt terribly; I can only imagine how your leg injuries must feel like, Sarah, Nat...

And then on Tuesday, there's a cross-country meet, 4k. And the Athletics heats I mentioned earlier is on Thursday - I shall skive the shot-put and long-jump events (two field events was mandatory...) and just do the 400, 800 and 1500 runs. XD


Eeeek - glad it's improving - I can sympathize A LOT! Hopefully it won't be too long before you're back out there again. And in the mean time sounds like you've got plenty of XC and athletics to keep you going! Good luck! :)

weuer wrote:I've never used the bands, myself, but I've tried swimming a little bit without legs. Basically, you need to pull with enough power to drag the legs along like how the person is dragged along in water-skiing. I think maybe using more of the EVF technique may pull you along better.


I'll look into the EVF technique. I am like a drowned rat (no offence Nat!). I just flap and seem to have no strength at all. I'm alright to start with when I have a bit of momentum pushing off the wall and m streamlined, but as soon as my legs start to drop to the bottom I sink!!! LOL more practice required!
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

User avatar
SarahL
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: London, England

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby SarahL » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:40 pm

weuer - could've sworn I read something about the length of the pool I swim in being 36mts - but it seems to have magically disappeared!!!

Yes - it's annoyingly a very strange length. It's nice to have a pool longer than 25mts which I find too short. My preference is 33.3mts or 50mts ideally. But we only have 1 50mts pool and that's a bit of a trek away.

The 36mts pool makes following the swimsmooth plan a bit of a nightmare - I have to figure out how many lengths is roughly equivalent to 100mts, 200mts etc. And often end up at the wrong end, with my equipment at the other!!!

The bonus for the 36mts pool is that it's outdoors! It's LOVELY. It's heated so not cold and it's all steamy in winter :-)

Here: http://www.hamptonpool.co.uk/
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

User avatar
Bjoern Staben
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Erkrath, Germany
Contact:

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby Bjoern Staben » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Still fighting a cold. was an easy 5k this morning.
One week without training makes one weak.

User avatar
SarahL
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: London, England

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby SarahL » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:05 pm

Bjoern Staben wrote:Still fighting a cold. was an easy 5k this morning.


Hope you get better soon Bjoern (((()))))

I'll be doing the SarahL triathlon again tomorrow but cos of dodgy ankle will be walking instead of running..... I can't WAIT to be able to run properly again... one of these days!
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

User avatar
velvetparlour
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: Brisbane Qld Aus

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby velvetparlour » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:44 am

Bjoern Staben wrote:Still fighting a cold. was an easy 5k this morning.

was the easy 5k was a run (or a swim?) ;-)

SarahL wrote:I'll be doing the SarahL triathlon again tomorrow

Sarah, I think you have a real chance of defending your title!

Nat the rat aka nuts wrote:and keen to do the squad swim followed by 1-2-1

super keen to hear how you enjoyed the video analysis nat

had to cover for someone at work this week and missed 2 days training (thrus and fri), frustrating
swam this morning tho (sat) and actually felt stronger for the 2 day rest
endurance focus today

4km free (56 mins)
1km fin kick variation
500m free w/d

woosh ;-)
Where reason cannot wade there faith may swim

weuer
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:40 pm
Location: Hong Kong, China
Contact:

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby weuer » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:27 am

velvetparlour wrote:4km free (56 mins)


Woah. Fast...

SarahL wrote:weuer - could've sworn I read something about the length of the pool I swim in being 36mts - but it seems to have magically disappeared!!!

Yes - it's annoyingly a very strange length. It's nice to have a pool longer than 25mts which I find too short. My preference is 33.3mts or 50mts ideally. But we only have 1 50mts pool and that's a bit of a trek away.

The 36mts pool makes following the swimsmooth plan a bit of a nightmare - I have to figure out how many lengths is roughly equivalent to 100mts, 200mts etc. And often end up at the wrong end, with my equipment at the other!!!

The bonus for the 36mts pool is that it's outdoors! It's LOVELY. It's heated so not cold and it's all steamy in winter :-)

Here: http://www.hamptonpool.co.uk/


hehe. Yeah, I did a search and found the old post where you told us the pool length, so I deleted that part of my post. :P Looks like a great pool, right next to nature!
Last edited by weuer on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bjoern Staben
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Erkrath, Germany
Contact:

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby Bjoern Staben » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:36 am

weuer wrote:
velvetparlour wrote:4km free (56 mins)


Woah. Fast...

Jeez, don't quote wrong again... ;) I just searched all my posts, if I'd said I'd do 4kin 56min. To do that I have either to improve my technique or my fitness. Most probably both... :D

Skipped my 2h run this morning due to my cold and I think I'll have a leisurely cycle ride later.

vp, in the moment it's mostly running as it's off-season and I like to do what I want to do, not to do what's on the schedule. I know when I start proper swimming to early again I can't be bothered with it any more in March which wouldn't be good...
One week without training makes one weak.

User avatar
SarahL
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: London, England

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby SarahL » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:46 am

4km 56 mins - I *heart* you! Super speedy quick - how do you do it?!??!?!?!??!
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

User avatar
velvetparlour
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:49 pm
Location: Brisbane Qld Aus

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby velvetparlour » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 pm

SarahL wrote:4km 56 mins - I *heart* you! Super speedy quick - how do you do it?!??!?!?!??!


"quick" is always a relative term and, improvement is the real thing to be applauded for swimmers of all levels

in perspective
56mins for 4k is 14mins per k in a pool
Rottenest 09 Paul swam 19.7km in open sea water in 5hrs 24mins which is just over 16 min/km for nearly 20k - that's quick and long
(winner david cox did 4hrs 40mins)
Then we have guys like Grant Hackett - 10km open water in 1 hour, 54 minutes - averaging 11 and half minute kms (insane)

I'm happy to plod along as long as I feel like I'm improving
Where reason cannot wade there faith may swim

User avatar
SarahL
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: London, England

Re: How Was Your Swim Today?

Postby SarahL » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:25 pm

velvetparlour wrote:
SarahL wrote:4km 56 mins - I *heart* you! Super speedy quick - how do you do it?!??!?!?!??!


"quick" is always a relative term and, improvement is the real thing to be applauded for swimmers of all levels

in perspective
56mins for 4k is 14mins per k in a pool
Rottenest 09 Paul swam 19.7km in open sea water in 5hrs 24mins which is just over 16 min/km for nearly 20k - that's quick and long
(winner david cox did 4hrs 40mins)
Then we have guys like Grant Hackett - 10km open water in 1 hour, 54 minutes - averaging 11 and half minute kms (insane)

I'm happy to plod along as long as I feel like I'm improving



Erm wow wow wow and wow! I still think you're amaznig! And so are they ^^^^

I just did 1km in the pool this morning - not time trial, just up and down in 19mins 16sec!! I feel like a snail! I did a time trial 1km in the pool about 6 weeks ago - pushing as hard as I could and I did 19min 27sec.... so I've improved a bit! 11sec. But it did feel easier.

LOL I'm such a slowbie! :)

Today though I did do 1km swim in 19m16s then 20km on the bike at av speed of 17.6mph then a 20 min run/walk bimble.

Pleased with that - for someone that can't run I'm still getting plenty of exercise :)
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!


Return to “Talk Swimming!”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests