Speedo goggles fog up after 1 use, Tyr last longer?

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
jombojuice22

Speedo goggles fog up after 1 use, Tyr last longer?

Postby jombojuice22 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:24 pm

Hey all. I started swimming 3 hours/week ~6 months ago. The first goggles I bought were Tyr brand, and they lasted for about 1 month of this before they started fogging up. After the fogging started to get really annoying I bought a pair of speedo vanquisher goggles. I loved the fit, and they were amazing the first time I wore them. The second time I used them, though, they fogged up within 25m.

My bad, I thought, I didn't take care of them. I never rinsed off the Tyr goggles either, but maybe Speedo's antifog is more fragile or something. I bought another pair of Tyr goggles and made a point to never touch the inside lens and to rinse in fresh water after each use. They lasted ~2-3 months before fogging.

I just bought another pair of speedo's (air seal XR) and was soooo careful to take great care of them. I even brought cold water to rinse them off afterwards instead of the warm water from the shower or sink. Used them once and they were brilliant. Second time in the pool with them, instant fog on the first lap.

I figure I must be doing something wrong, because otherwise I don't see why anyone would ever buy Speedo goggles...?

Janus

Re: Speedo goggles fog up after 1 use, Tyr last longer?

Postby Janus » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi Jombo
Rather than keep buying new goggles, have you tried antifog solution (available from many sports shops and definitely online)? Other tricks to try are spitting on the inside of the lens (I lick mine) or washing the inside with a very mild baby shampoo. You should not have to buy four new pairs in six months of swimming... mine last a good couple of years.
Try searching online for other tips too
Good luck.
Janus

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:19 am

I put a small amount (teaspoon) of water into each lens which stays there while I swim and that washes around and keeps the lens clear. This works for fresh or sea water.

The can steam up at any time but if I shake the head, the water swishes them clear again.

The goggles last years and I regularly polish them with silver polish or similar (Silvo, Brasso) to try and remove sand scratches.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

vinter

Postby vinter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:48 am

I also have the speedo vanquesher type and the best solution is to spit inside, then put it in the water and then you can wear them completely without any fog issues

Nicolopolus

Postby Nicolopolus » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 pm

I've tried quite a few brands and models and found the same problem with a lot of them. Even some pairs that I've spit into before a session are fogging up halfway through.

I've been using the Aquasphere K180s for the last few months and they're the best! Comfy, great visibility and the anti fog coating lasted the longest. Now I have to use the spit trick, but this sees them through a whole session.
Check out my swim blog at http://nickybuoy.wordpress.com

I'm swimming 201.2 miles to the Olympics for the Lifeboat Fund - please check my sponsor page! http://www.justgiving.com/NickyBuoy

jombojuice22

Postby jombojuice22 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:15 pm

Tried spitting and it kind of works well enough I suppose. I'll keep experimenting. Thanks!

dcoughman

Postby dcoughman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:46 am

I always keep a small bottle of baby shampoo in my swim bag. The tiniest drop in my goggles usually works nicely for the whole workout...

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 am

Goggles fog because of the different temperatures of your face/pool/ and goggles. Do you put them on and then get into the water? The best trick I find (which works equally well in open water) is to get into the water holding your goggles in your hand and plunge yourself into the water to get your face and goggles at the same temperature as the water. Once your ready to go put your goggles on.

I do get a little fogging after a while - as your swimming with effort, then your body temperature will increase which forms condensation (fogging) on the inside of your goggles. Best thing to do is just swill them with some more water at the end of a lap/set.

Don't touch the inside of your goggles with your fingers as this can/will affect the coating if they are anti-fog. Just rinse with water afterwards to get rid of chlorine and any other chemicals that may be in the water :?

There are lots of anti-fog solutions out there, guess it's just a matter of finding out which works best for you :)
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

dcoughman

Postby dcoughman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm

And respectfully I disagree. I always touch the inside of my goggles and spread baby shampoo on the inside. I'm not worried about the anti fog that the goggles came with. The baby shampoo works for me in spite of the difference in temperatures etc.

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:45 pm

dcoughman wrote:And respectfully I disagree. I always touch the inside of my goggles and spread baby shampoo on the inside. I'm not worried about the anti fog that the goggles came with. The baby shampoo works for me in spite of the difference in temperatures etc.

Well your effectively creating a layer of film so that condensation doesn't get onto the goggle aren't you (the whole point of anti-fog solution). I never said it was wrong to do that if that's what you want to do. I just avoid touching the inside of goggles as that's a quick way of wearing out the anti-fog layer - which works for me and makes the goggles last longer. The pair I have now have lasted just over two years by doing this.. though they are starting to fog slightly, so I think I'll try your trick with the baby shampoo :D
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

hnoor0055

Postby hnoor0055 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:22 am

I always touch the inside of my goggles and spread baby shampoo on the inside. I'm not worried about the anti fog that the goggles came with.

leather jacket
Last edited by hnoor0055 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:05 am

Haven't you bods been around long enough to learn that rubbing a bit of saliva on the inside of the lenses (crudely - a bit of "gob"!) on the lenses before you get in pool water eradicates most of the fogging. OK so you may not think it particularly hygenic - but it works and is easier than fiddling with baby shampoo etc. Just remember saliva is slightly saline, so that's why you don't get so much fogging of goggles when in the sea (as "cottmiler" wrote in an earlier post on this thread!). Have been doing it for "donkeys years" without trouble - if you're fussy and worried about the possibility of eye infections, rinse the goggles in a weak antiseptic solution after each swim, so any bugs don't multiply!

It doesn't work so well if you pause in your pool swim and lift the goggles off and repeat the above process - 'cos some pool water may have got into the mouth and spoiled the saline effect of the saliva!

Sprinter

Postby Sprinter » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:27 am

The only goggles for me (I tried many) which don't leak are the
Speedo Fastskin3 Elite Mirror Goggle
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedo-Adult-Fa ... B007RNRII0
I swim 6 times a week, each swim around 2 hours, and after 6 months, visibility is quite restricted, so I buy new ones (according to a guy at the "Speedo-Flagship" in London that is expected).
During that time, I *never* get any fogging issues (and I don't do anything about it, except of not touching the inside).

GoManGo

Postby GoManGo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:56 pm

dcoughman wrote:And respectfully I disagree. I always touch the inside of my goggles and spread baby shampoo on the inside. I'm not worried about the anti fog that the goggles came with. The baby shampoo works for me in spite of the difference in temperatures etc.

I tried the baby shampoo this evening and my goggles didn't fog for the whole 2k swim. Thanks for the tip! :D

dcoughman

Postby dcoughman » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:06 pm

I don't know the reason but baby shampoo is one of the best kept secrets of swimming. Even my coach will discourage people from using it. I cannot figure it out.
But you are welcome!

bust

Postby bust » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:40 pm

I haven't had well experience yet, so I appreciate your advices. I greet you

Return to “Talk Swimming!”