Advice on breathing please

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
woody

Re: Advice on breathing please

Postby woody » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Hi Harry
The first ever lesson I had on breathing 2 links prior to this I had a nose clip.Try not to laugh

http://youtu.be/ihE03wATP8c

http://youtu.be/4DczrwdicUI

After this we moved on to trickle fo up to 10 secs then fully exhale and be fully exhaled by the time I lifted my head out to take a breath and kept it going for 20 mins so it became like normal breathing.unfortunately that clip fails to upload.

Is embarassing for me to look at today

Regards Woody
Everything is won or lost inside your own head.

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

woody

Postby woody » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 pm

This seems to support the way Ian was teaching me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiN-ylVXb1o

Woody

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi Woody!

Very interesting! So stage-1 slow and stage-2 being short and quick! Must try that - had previously found a single stage quick exhalation awful, but this short/quick puff out after the more gentle initial stage, may do the trick!

Bye / Don

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:08 am

Hi woody, thanks for posting the clips, they arnt embarrassing, but rather helpful in that your tutor obviously bothered to take the time to teach you one of the most important aspects of front crawl. I imagine it takes a long tome to be able to trickle for one full minute. His comments on the need to swallow was interesting, I think you swallow, as I do, because you are trying to get the pressure to get rid of the rest if the air. It is an extremely hard thing to do I think, have found the sink down and torpedo breathing has helped, but I will try this also when I go to the pool tomorrow. I think relaxation, also hard to achieve, is one of the keys too! Thanks again woody. Happy laps. Harry

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 am

Steve, the key to breathing in front crawl is breathing out underwater not learning how to hold your breath. Best advice is if you really are a beginner, eg., starting from scratch is to google the swim smooth website, they have lots of free advice on all aspects of front crawl and of course to get their video. The video discusses all aspects of crawl. You need to build the stroke up by concentrating on each individual element in other words drilling. Harry

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:46 am

Hi Harry!

I expect you just saw your email indicating "SteveJames" had added a post here to this topic - and you replied. Sadly that bloke appended some 9 posts to as many "current topics" in the early hours of this morning. Nothing of any value, and in some cases rather arrogant/self-opiniated. I went through the 9 posts and used the "!" icon this morning (to highlight them for moderator action), and sent an email to "feedback@swimsmooth.com", so when they have a bit of spare time, I expect they will "chop" the chap, and all his posts will disappear, His efforts will come to naught in the long run. although crafty enough to make all the posts swim relevant, but each a couple of lines of next to nothing! OVER-POSTING is a "sin" commensurate with spamming! How could any sensible person have something of import for others to read. on more than a couple of different topics at any one time!

Bye / Don

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:02 am

Hi don, think I am being thick, I just saw the one post asking about breathing, how did you know he isn't genuine? Harry

woody

Postby woody » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:03 am

Hi Harry/ Don
Steve james is very likely in the philipines employed to write articles on forums by a web maketeer in uk or us .after a few articles to get credibility then post the ones with a link which earn money .
The internet is still like the wild west unfortunately for the marketeer the style of writing and so many articles at one time didn't fool sheriff don.
I think it is sufficient on this site that if we see this pattern we prees the alert button perhaps swimsmooth could comment.

Back to swimming i have definitely identified that my breathing issue is all about my balance/body position as I rotate to the right its all a bit hurried to that side . When i do side kiking drills to the left they feel smooth but to the right i just don't maintain a good position so a lot of drilling to get myself aligned in a straight line on that side.probably some strretching exercises too. On the right it feels tense panicky yet if i switch to the left it is instantly calm and my body straight .why is it so difficult to simply do a mirror image .
Woody

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:31 am

Have you seen my thread "Faster breathing to the right than the left"?

It connects with of "Y formation arm entry".

We think our arm stays straight ahead when we roll to the bad side but owing to lack of shoulder flexibility it crosses in front causing us to lose balance and panic.

It needs a real effort to push that arm out wide early on.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

woody

Postby woody » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks Cott
I will read properly you have hit the nail on the head it is about that wrong side arm.
Doing side drills on my wrong side unless i really concentrate a slight wrong move has my legs in wrong place body all wrong and no way of getting them back .Yet on the other side I can deliberately go wrong and correct easily.
Woody

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi woody, I am going to read cott's thread as well. I am finding that kicking on my side, catch up and breathing every stroke bilaterally plus one side arm pulls do work to a great extent, but the old arm when doing crawl proper can still sink if I lose focuss. I am trying to increase my flexibility with the ytwl swim smooth stretch, plus a torpedo stretch leaning against the wall. Have religiously done them for a week and a half now each day, hold each stretch for ten seconds, and do the whole retinue five times. When you start them you can tell how inflexible you are so I am thinking that eventually it will help, if you do try them relax into them, dont over stretch at first as you might find you pull something. I feel more flexible now than what I did and I can now breathe, using the early breathing technique, as well on each side, still slightly difficult putting it into the full stroke, but I think that's timing. In fact yesterday i couldnt remember which was my good or bad side at first i had to really think about it. Still finding the sink drills really useful, start each session now with them, plus torpedo kick drill where I breathe out straight away, can't believe how relaxed my breathing is for the whole session afterwards. Don't know whether it's the right way, but I am finding that I don't think much about breathing after these drills, it just seems to happen??? Any comments from you experienced breathers out there, is this how it is when you finally crack it? I think it's an ongoing journey woody, the end will probably never be in sight, still being retired whilst health remains, i have all the time to try to achieve the perfect stroke. Happy Laps Harry, ps thanks for explaining the spam, il leave it to you experienced spam spotters ha ha :lol: :lol:

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:33 pm

I have been practising to breathe to one side, but on every other stroke as a prelude to bilateral. So my breathing pattern is once every 4th stroke whereas bilateral is once every 3rd stroke.

At first I really struggled doing this especially on the left side but after a couple of weeks, and about 10 miles of swimming, I think my brain has learnt this breathing pattern. I don't seem to panic and gasp for air now.

This would agree with Paul Newsome who suggests we keep trying a new breathing pattern for a fortnight in order to learn it. It seems you just can't do it straight away.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi "cottmiler"!

This ain't a useful post at all! Read about the sudden termination of your swim session after just 2 laps on another topic (due to the hanging light fixture!). I have had a "glum" session too - sometimes my prescription goggles occasionally leak, but today it was almost as bad as not wearing them for my left eye. After my swim, my vision in the left eye is a bit foggy compared with the other - hope it improves after some "Optrex" eye wash! Have dunked the goggles in a shallow dish with just enough water to reach over the level of the plastic lense holding part - and will inspect to see if any water has leaked through onto the lenses after a while. They cost me about £400 some 4 years ago, 'cos my prescription is just at the limit for special machining - so I hope I don't need to "shell out" that sort of money again for a while!

Didn't enjoy my swim or achieve anything much today (my intention to focus on better breathing "went to pot"). Thats just the way things go some days (in a "talky" bit on my DVD of Phelps Butterfly - he says the same sort of thing - even at his level!)

Bye / Glum Don!

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi don hope your goggles arnt ruined and that your next swim is uplifting, it's disappointing to come away from a swim feeling like you haven't achieved anything I bet we've all been there. Harry :cry:

BrentonFord

Postby BrentonFord » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:58 am

Coaching a swimmer today - he found that beginning to breathe out immediately after taking the breath helped him relax and control his breathing. This helped with his bilateral breathing and stopped him from running out of puff so quickly.
Last edited by BrentonFord on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Get the podcast with Swim Smooth coach Paul Newsome here: http://goo.gl/iRrk5

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi don, woody et al. I am sure you have both noticed this guy brentonford is obviously a spammer, I don't know how to report him, will you do it or tell me how to. Thanks.

On the subject of breathing, a cause dear to all our hearts, I have been watching this guy in my pool, he swims for at least an hour never stops, total relaxed style, I was thinking how does he do it and decided to investigate further. Observations. Unilateral breather, breathes very regularly 2 or 4 th stroke and he recovers his arms in a very relaxed manner, got under the water and saw he has dropped legs, some kick. Well, there I was thinking he looks good, but on closer inspection, very poor position etc. It has hit home to me that you can go on for ages unilaterally with poor body position etc., but if he tried to go faster he couldn't, this is maybe why we are finding it difficult to progress because we are trying to do it properly, bilateral, good position, good kick, is there a moral to this story! :lol: :lol: :lol:

woody

Postby woody » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi All
I had also thought Brentonford was spam as the posts were getting short pus an internet address but I was wrong Solar has assured me he's a good guy.Sorry Brentonford.

Yes its strange once you know what you should do swimming becomes harder as we overthink it.I was swimming for an hour very slowly non stop till I decided I wanted to do with some style.
A year or so ago my legs were low,I lifted my head to breathe had no idea what my arms were supposed to do,sank as i took a breath looking skywards pausing as i took it too.but kept going despite all of this and more.

Now I think I know what to do but run out of breath after 2 lor 3 lengths. basically each lesson I learn a bit more but am also confused a bit more.

Its only in the last couple of weeks I have fully understood that I am using a lot of energy at the beginning of the stroke by pushing down with my lead arm instead of gently dropping into the catch.Yet when I play back the videos from my coaching seessions it has been pointed out several times I just didn't get what they meant when they said I was pushing water down but by coming on here and reading posts it all starts to gel.
Not swum today but was practising trying to do that popye thing in the mirror it was hilarious my mouth just would not co operate .
Regards
Woody

Janus

Postby Janus » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi Harry

Yes, Brenton Ford is not your traditional spammer: he runs an Australian swim coaching outfit but has certainly been rather "spammy" here in recent days.

But I did want to comment on you "looked underwater" comment. So often when I am talking to people about swimming technique and point something out they just look. I say that what you do above water is irrelevant - it is what happens underwater that counts.

Keep your head down in the water and observe others - it does help. Deliberately swimming slow also helps.

J.

BrentonFord

Postby BrentonFord » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Sorry guys, don't mean to come across as 'spammy' with my replies. I just like to keep things short and to the point. :D
Get the podcast with Swim Smooth coach Paul Newsome here: http://goo.gl/iRrk5

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:15 pm

Sorry if you are a genuine forum user, but I didn't think you were suppose to advertise which I assume you are indirectly doing by posting your website, maybe you should just sign yourself brentford minus the web site addressnand then you would be just like other forum members. Harry

Return to “Talk Swimming!”