hold my breath

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
intihana

hold my breath

Postby intihana » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:02 am

How can I hold my breath while swimming? I just joined swimming and whenever I hold my breath and I come out of the water, the water goes straight up my nose and I swallow it. I puff my cheeks (Bobs) but whenever I come out of the water to breathe I still end up getting water into my nose. Please give detailed tips because I am a really bad swimmer who needs practice. Thank you!
2nd chance checking account ~ checking account for people with bad credit ~ checking account for bad credit

Nayan

Re: hold my breath

Postby Nayan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 am

dont hold your breath!
when your face is in the water you should let the air out and always have bubbles coming out of your nose/mouth. That way you get all the used up air out and are ready to relax and breath in when your head emerges for the breathing part of the stroke cycle.

DeborahC

Postby DeborahC » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 am

That's the thing - I've already tried to hold my breath as you're writing but the water goes in my nose anyway and I can't simply relax in this situation, especially thinking over free annual credit report government. Is this a psychologic issue?
Thanks.
Last edited by DeborahC on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

aro

Postby aro » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Breathe out while swimming. Breathe out through the nose as you turn your face out of the water. As soon as the mouth clears the water, stop breathing out through the nose and breathe in through the mouth.

Make sure you don't breathe out in the water completely and thus run out of air too early. Leave some air in the lungs for breathing out (through the nose) while turning your face out of the water.

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:10 pm

Why not use a nose-clip - it makes things easier! Try breathing with the mouth only and the nose-clip in place while on dryland for a short while, just to get used to the feeling. They are not 100% effective, but better than sometimes breathing through the nose, and sometimes the mouth - and it's easier for doing flip turns if you get more expert/compete. Otherwise, you will need to snort out through the nose as you go upside-down with your somersault. That will use up air that you may need a moment later for a decent push-off from the wall as you blow out yet more bubbles. That in turn may lead to desperation for air, as you break out into the first stroke, instead of waiting till your body is better balanced, at say, the second arm stroke in order to inhale.

Also, if the sinus cavities get "soggy" with continual "water up the nose", then over a long period, that can lead to later problems with sinusitis (wretched headaches, pain above the eyes), and possibly in some cases to dental problems with the roots of the upper row of teeth, the side ones may be more prone to get abscesses from infections in the sinus cavities behind the cheekbones. I think there are some problems that can also arise from the action of frequent vigorous snorting (increased likelihood of nosebleeds).

What a cheery soul I am - quick go out and get a nose clip - and perhaps earplugs - if you get "swimmers ear" you wont wan't a repeat occurrence - quite painful!!! Of course, many swimmers manage quite well without these extra items in their kit bag - it's all a matter of personal preference!

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:52 am

God Don, I am glad I wear a nose clip if rotten teeth, sinus infections are on the cards, I wonder whether a soggy brain occurs too! That's my problem then :lol: :lol: :lol: Harry

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:17 am

Hi Harry!

Harrybeardie wrote:God Don, I am glad I wear a nose clip if rotten teeth, sinus infections are on the cards, I wonder whether a soggy brain occurs too! That's my problem then :lol: :lol: :lol: Harry

I also wonder about that in my case - the grey matter does seem to be a bit slower for a while after a swim! ;)

Bye / Don

healthystuff

Postby healthystuff » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Nice tips. I have problem with this for awhile. I'll just call my alexandria va dentist if in case I'm having dental issues. Nose and mouth are two organs that are very important too. So better careful with it next time.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”