Electrolytes

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
go.swim

Electrolytes

Postby go.swim » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:42 pm

Electrolytes, one form being carb blend 'PowerBar Gel', are taken extensively in running events to speed energy to muscles. Anyone know if "electrolyte supplements" improve or are even helpful in swimming, which is now my primary method of fitness.

SarahL

Re: Electrolytes

Postby SarahL » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:47 am

I don';t know but I do drink them before after and sometimes during to help stop me getting cramps and it seems to work :)
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

Bjoern Staben

Postby Bjoern Staben » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:53 am

SarahL wrote:I don';t know but I do drink them before after and sometimes during to help stop me getting cramps and it seems to work :)

I can second that.
One week without training makes one weak.

weuer

Postby weuer » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:14 am

Apparently, energy drinks are bad:

From USA Swimming: http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/View ... temId=3407
ENERGY DRINKS: NOT A GOOD CHOICE!

Energy drinks are popular among teenagers and young adults. They are marketed as a quick way to boost mental energy and improve performance. These beverages are NOT appropriate for fluid replacement during exercise. They are full of caffeine and other stimulants that may make you feel jittery and lead to dehydration. They also contain too many carbs to be used for fluid replacement and may lead to stomach distress if consumed too close to the beginning of exercise.

EDIT: Sorry for necro-posting.

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:46 pm

weuer wrote:Apparently, energy drinks are bad:

I think they're referring more to cans of Red Bull and the like than Gatorade though...
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

velvetparlour

Postby velvetparlour » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:40 am

Paul Newsome wrote:I think they're referring more to cans of Red Bull and the like than Gatorade though...

yeah red bull's are bad, not nearly enough caffeine in them ;)

and so uncivilized when there are perfectly good espresso machines and coffee beans...

electrolyte drinks - I'm with Sarah and Bjoern, they do help
and the science of oral rehydration therapy (using sodium and potassium salts with sugars) is well proven
Where reason cannot wade there faith may swim

weuer

Postby weuer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:54 am

Ah, I see. Whoops. :)

go.swim

Postby go.swim » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:56 am

[url][/url]Thanks Sarah, I don't know either, so I just take a couple before I swim. All I know is that the high carbs and maybe the electrolytes give me lots of energy. So much so that I do well, feel good and don't wish to stop the swim; but I must also go to work. Greg

likawil

Postby likawil » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Electrolyte replacement is generally best kept for sessions over an hour. The ones that get your heart rate up and you are sweating at the end. Unfortunately in the water its difficult to know how much your sweating [weigh yourself pre/post swim to determine fluid loss]. If you're goggles are fogging up you can assume you are sweating. Sweat removes salt [sodium] from our system, used to relax muscles, whilst potassium is needed for contraction of muscles to make them work.

Problem with drinking so much electrolyte is that you need to know your kidneys are up to the task as they are responsible for balancing the numbers, so to speak. This can be checked with a blood test, ask your GP. Not to mention the sugar and your teeth.

Excessive amounts of electrolyte can be just as dangerous as too little [we're talking about changes to heart rhythm/beat, thats why some people get palpitations when they drink them].
Keep the sports drinks [not energy drinks, they are bad full stop] to hotter weather and for longer workouts as either part of your recovery or during a session if it makes you feel better.

Heres a tip - sugars/carbohydrates are absorbed in the mouth, so take a drink, swish then swallow to get a faster result if its energy you are after. A study of cyclists found that swishing and spitting out the sports drink had the same energy benefit as swallowing it, just with out the hydration. Also an apple is better for alertness/energy than a coffee [natural sugars].

The only other way to re-energise is the old fashioned way - REST!!

SideNote: did you know you can eat too many bananas in a day? [i think its about 10]

sorry for the blurb, but i do like the physiology side of sport...
me

"this will require the energy of a thousand empty calories"

Return to “Talk Swimming!”