Yards v. Meters

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
HalfLordofthefishes

Yards v. Meters

Postby HalfLordofthefishes » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi, I live in Southern California. A 'meter' is something we put coins into so we avoid paying parking tickets. How should we deal with the conversions of meters to yards in all the workouts, formulas, etc... Is the difference significant enough to worry about? What do you think? My regular spot is a 25 yard pool...

weuer

Re: Yards v. Meters

Postby weuer » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:22 am

1 yard is about 0.9 meters (0.9144).

There's currently no way to convert between yard times and meter times (that I know of), though.

When training, I don't think it really matters. Just think of your times in yards. Improvement is improvement, after all. :)

HalfLordofthefishes

Postby HalfLordofthefishes » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:14 am

I suppose that's true! Thank you!
It can be confusing going back and forth so I'll just stick to yards!

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:17 pm

Hi HalfLordofthefishes,

As weuer says, it shouldn't matter too much if you swim a meters session as if it were yards. Obviously you'll be slightly shorter overall - if that's a concern then you're losing approx 250 to 300 yards an hour so extend the session by that amount where you think best appropriate.

Helps that helps some. Are you a user of our training plans? If so, that's very good feedback thanks. We need to make a note of that in the plans for version 1.1.

Cheers!

Adam

Endre

Postby Endre » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:23 pm

Hello from a new registred swimmer - I know this doesn't really answer your question, but for openwater and longer distances - 1 mile is very very close to 1.6 Km. The ratio is about 8 / 5 th's. 160 km per hour is 100 mph. So 3.2 Km is 2 miles. My Gym Pool is 25 metres and I time myself for 70 laps to be a 1 Mile openwater swim. i.e 64 laps + 10% for the openwateryness. And even though we measure everything here in metres, kilometres etc - we still have 1 mile and 2 mile swims! In fact only the longer 5km, 10km, 20km swims are measured as such. Tomorrow I am going to an openwater event and the distances we will swim are either 1 mile, or 2 miles. http://www.entrytime.com/index.asp?GoTo=EventInfo&EventID=2522#Registration Strange huh?

HalfLordofthefishes

Postby HalfLordofthefishes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:02 am

Yes that IS strange. We need someone to step up and make it consistent. Although adding a few feet, or meters, to half the pools in the world might take some time and meet some resistance. i guess we'll have to make do.
Thanks for the insights!

Return to “Talk Swimming!”