Swimming lessons, what to focus on ?

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
cottmiler

Re: Swimming lessons, what to focus on ?

Postby cottmiler » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:50 am

That's brilliant!

You will be able to help new learners now on this forum.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:49 pm

250m - that's fantastic, you are well on your way!
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

Adivio

Postby Adivio » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Great work Tom!

I still remember when I did my first long swim couple of years back. Making the jump from shorter to longer was all a mental trick.
Just dare to leave the wall for every turn until you reach your target believing that you'll make it.
Also on http://swim.palstani.com/ forum.

Ashswims

Postby Ashswims » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:51 am

Wow excellent progress!

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:26 am

Missed a bit of pool time due to work and injuries, works easing and I've healed up so just gotta bust through the mental barrier for some more distance.

Bought a couple of these, so hoping to get to Lake Eildon with the kids over Christmas and do some real swimming.

Forum locked, might go to TI's forum, looked at SS's facebook page, too many photos...ewww...for me.
New Forum http://swim.palstani.com/

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:04 am

Saturday night, 1km of various strokes including a 250metre freestyle.

Sunday morning, aiming for a km again, 250m double arm backstroke, 250m backstroke, 2 x 50m freestyle, decided to try the last 400m in one go freestyle, successful.

Might change my Wednesday breast stroke lessons to learning flip turns.

Something odd Sunday morning was my weight had dropped, morning weigh showed up as 69kg, I'm normally 71 to 72kg, immediately drank a litre of water just in case I was unusually dehydrated.
Forum locked, might go to TI's forum, looked at SS's facebook page, too many photos...ewww...for me.

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Not pushing very hard, getting to the pool 3 times a week, swim a k of different strokes.

Did 10x 50m in the outdoor pool one day with very short breaks between laps, went to the indoor pool for the backstrokes, clouds have me wandering all over the place in the outdoor pool facing up.

Do at least one 50 in the outdoor pool every trip regardless of temp.

Raced the elder daughter (17) at the outlaws Christmas day, beat her in a push off the wall start and a dive start, she was a bit shocked.

Trying to get some load on the arms in freestyle, I feel the water pressure on the arms with backstroke and double arm backstroke. But to get distance with freestyle I slow the underwater, having said that when I do a sprint I still don't feel the pressure. EDIT felt the pressure this morning, got it by pulling faster, need to do more of this.

Put the snorkel on recently to practice early vertical forearm, now I know what gives that wiggly appearance to swimmers pull, it's easy to maintain with the snorkel, bit harder with breathing. Didn't seem to increase speed or change load on arms.

Lots more swimming to do.

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:01 am

20 x 50m freestyle this morning, stopped between laps, probably about 20 seconds at the start and down to about 5 seconds by the last couple of laps.

1km continuous isn't far away.

Adivio

Postby Adivio » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:11 pm

Tom, you are closer than you think you are ;).
Also on http://swim.palstani.com/ forum.

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:09 pm

400, 600, 800 - should get up to 1km in no time! :) My tip would be to set off with the idea "I'll do 400m, then see how I feel". If you've got 400m as a fixed target, you'll probably tend to rush the last lap, in the knowledge that recovery follows. Keeping an open mind about the distance can encourage a steadier pace, and you might surprise yourself! When I did my first 800 I was only aiming for 600, but as I felt OK I just carried on going. A couple of weeks later I did my first 1500.

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:37 pm

1500 metres continuous this morning.

Just decided to do a slow lazy swim making sure I was getting a good breath in, didn't set a distance goal.

Recent post on swim smooth blog helped.

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:13 am

That is fantastic news, Tom! :D Congratulations!

I remember the sense of achievement when I did my first 1500m a few years back. I've never looked back - last year I did a 5km charity event; this year I'm planning to do a 10km river swim. Not that you have to keep increasing distances, but it's important to keep setting goals, or you risk losing motivation. But for now, enjoy your success - at the start of this thread you were breathless after 25m - you've come a long way from there!

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:55 am

Super job! 8-) 8-)
Once you go beyond 100/200m distance bariers are all in the head.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

daisyeden

Postby daisyeden » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:26 am

Until recently I used to work as a swimming instructor at the YMCA. I would definitely recommend giving swimming lessons a go if you have the means! Not only is lane swimming a great method of cardio, but swimming is an important life skill if you ever find yourself in a situation involving deep water.
If you can, I would suggest going for private lessons, because the adult classes I had to teach were overcrowded and I ended up not being able to help every individual very much in the half hour timeslot. Private lessons give you focused attention on exactly what you need to work on.
Give it a try! And the best thing about swimming is that after your workout, you can just jump straight into the hot tub and relax. Good luck! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dot net Training in Chennai | Salesforce Training in Chennai | Cloud Computing Training in Chennai | Linux Training in Chennai

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:59 am

Mike A wrote:That is fantastic news, Tom! :D Congratulations!

I remember the sense of achievement when I did my first 1500m a few years back. I've never looked back - last year I did a 5km charity event; this year I'm planning to do a 10km river swim. Not that you have to keep increasing distances, but it's important to keep setting goals, or you risk losing motivation. But for now, enjoy your success - at the start of this thread you were breathless after 25m - you've come a long way from there!

Thanks, biggest kick I got was some time back when I swam the 100 laps in the 25 with the snorkel, 1500 without just means I can get some regular exercise doing some proper swimming.
Not real fazed about aiming for distance, although I'll try 2km next weekend.
Don't need to set goals for motivation, when I'm not keen on a trip to the pool some out of shape person will cross my path and remind me to do what I believe is best for my health.

smootharnie wrote:Super job! 8-) 8-)
Once you go beyond 100/200m distance bariers are all in the head.

Still having a bit of an issue with appropriate pacing, after 350 metres I'm pretty right to keep going.

daisyeden wrote: ....

Hot tub after a swim, yuk, I have a cold shower after the swim.

Last edited by Tom65 on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tom65

0 to 1600 in three years.

Postby Tom65 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:07 am

1 mile this morning.

Not the quickest 0 to 1600 learning curve, but I got there.

May have to hunt down another pool now, the outdoor 50 I use is seasonal and the 25metre indoor is uncomfortably short for longer swims, also too hot most days.

In the meantime the routine is now....Wednesday lessons, breast stroke etc...Saturday, long swim (long for me that is >2000m)....Sunday, backstrokes and tidying up the freestyle.

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:21 am

2000 metres today, pool was too cold last week and bailed with ear aches.

The 2k took 61 minutes :oops: so might cap the distance at 2000 or even 1500 and work on swimming faster.

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:12 am

Hi everyone,
There are interesting posts above this titke, i love to read. I want to contribute... For the swimmers who has tight time and who dont want to participate in races, just swimming for fun and recreation, i recommend the below set, it takes maximum 30 minutes in total:

Workout:
Dryland warm up (2min)
1x1500m non-stop, swim as below
- 25 butterfly
- 25 crawl
- 25 backstroke
- 25 crawl
- 25 breaststroke
- 25 crawl

What to focus on:
Each time choose one stroke (for example make a backstroke day) and focus on technique rather than pace. Easy, funny and beneficial.

Enjoy it.
Once something goes into motion, it stays in motion, the process itself feeds the fire!
Ref: http://self-inspiration.com/video/uncomfortable-vs-exhaustion

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:30 am

Not getting to the pool regularly the last couple of weeks, only made it on Sundays.

Almost didn't go this morning, lacking time and motivation, figured the most important time to go is when motivation is lacking, so made the time.

Sunday week ago swam 1500, kept an eye on the stopwatch and 75 seconds per 50 metres is my continuous pace, had been hoping I'd missed counting laps on my earlier 2 km swim, oh well.

Today, Sunday 13th. Swam several 50's with breaks trying to go a bit faster than usual then swam 300 intending 200 but had started off a bit slow, then 200. Moved to the indoor pool and done 500 metres on my back, couple of 25 f'style sprints.

Missed lessons the last two weeks, lack of time and there's some newbies there now that deserve some of the attention I'd been lucky enough to receive with so few enrolled swimmers turning up to lessons over the previous year.

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Loving it...three trips to the pool per week, swim at least 1500 for two of those.

Certainly at least what I hoped for when I commenced lessons. :D

Return to “Talk Swimming!”