Critical Swim Speed

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
JulianC

Critical Swim Speed

Postby JulianC » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:57 pm

I did my first session using this last night - boy was it tough!

I swam at 1.28/100m and did the second session (5:45-7:30 for 400m). Not sure how much recovery I needed between sets so I gave myself 30 second (45 seconds on my third 400 to allow a breaststroker to finish their length). Felt that my form was suffering a bit in the last few 100m's and I went from bilateral breathing ( every three strokes) too every second stroke which is always a sign that I am getting tired.

Overall I managed to stick pretty close to 1.28/100m. Not sure how many of these sessions I should do a week but definitely recommend them. As I don't swim with a squad or anything they definitely pushed me a lot harder than I usually train.

Paul Newsome

Re: Critical Swim Speed

Postby Paul Newsome » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:07 pm

JulianC wrote:Not sure how many of these sessions I should do a week but definitely recommend them. As I don't swim with a squad or anything they definitely pushed me a lot harder than I usually train.

Nice work Julian. You are right - these are the creme-de-la-creme of specific swim fitness and pacing work. I would suggest just one set like this per week if you are swimming 3 to 4 times per week. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7 for some more guidelines on this.

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

JulianC

Postby JulianC » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:21 pm

Hi Paul, I am swimming in the pool four times a week and doing at least one long open water session over the weekend - usually two.

If my stroke/bodyroll etc are not correct is it still worth concentraing on the CSS stuff? I am looking forward to my next session that is for sure.

Hopefully get a video up this weekend too.

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:25 pm

JulianC wrote:If my stroke/bodyroll etc are not correct is it still worth concentraing on the CSS stuff? I am looking forward to my next session that is for sure.

Well we don't know that for sure until we see your stroke. But my suggestion is that if you are swimming 1:28 per 100m on intervals of 400m then yes, you are very much capable of and in need of this type of training to assist with the technique work that you are doing. Its all about balance.

Enjoying these sorts of sets is a real bonus too! :twisted:

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

Return to “Talk Swimming!”