Diet Problems

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
gatchiravs

Diet Problems

Postby gatchiravs » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:34 pm

Hello guys, I am new to this forum. I went here wanting to ask you guys on what to do regarding my appetite. I really love swimming. Although I don't swim competitively, I can swim at least 25 laps per session (I take breaks in between) at a 25m pool at an average speed. Im pretty sure I can swim more but here is the problem... I am very skinny, as much as I want to stay longer in the pool, I know that I can't since its going to destroy my weight.

After swimming very consistently at least 3 times per week, I decided that I want to take my swimming seriously. I want to build more muscle so that I could work on my speed in the pool. I know swimming burns a lot of calories, I limit my self from swimming with 1 hour as my maximum time limit inside the pool. Can you guys give me tips so that I could eat more? I want to be able to gain weight while working on my swimming. Please, just don't tell me to stop swimming entirely. I love swimming too much.

TeresaRodriguez

Re: Diet Problems

Postby TeresaRodriguez » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:33 pm

Hey! I can suggest you to consult a good nutritionist and seek advice from her about your diet problems or you can follow a nutritional guide for the same. One of my friends who is a swimmer started following a nutritional guide and changed her eating style from then onwards. You can also try this for healthy eating.

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Swimming breaks down muscle; to build it back up you need protein. One of the best ways you can do this is to drink chocolate milk, preferably within half an hour of swimming. Studies have shown that this is more effective than many of the expensive protein shakes that are available! You will also need to replace your energy stores (glycogen) which requires carbohydrates. You should therefore also eat carbs after training, and throughout the day. Hope that helps. There is a lot of information on the internet about nutrition for swimming.
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

s.sciame

Postby s.sciame » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:40 pm

Mike A wrote:Swimming breaks down muscle; to build it back up you need protein. One of the best ways you can do this is to drink chocolate milk, preferably within half an hour of swimming. Studies have shown that this is more effective than many of the expensive protein shakes that are available! You will also need to replace your energy stores (glycogen) which requires carbohydrates. You should therefore also eat carbs after training, and throughout the day.

Hey Mike, I remember you were asking for advice about this some time ago (in particular nutrition after long sessions): did you apply this chocolate milk within 30' thing then, and did you find concrete benefits? I'm pretty interested too.

Thanks,
Salvo
Other SS forum members and I are also on swim.palstani.com

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:25 pm

I've definitely found it has reduced muscular aches and pains - especially in the summer, when I was doing 6 or 7km open water swims quite regularly. I'm only doing 2km sessions at the moment, so I'm just drinking a 270ml bottle after swimming instead of a 470ml one.
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

Return to “Talk Swimming!”