6 beat-2 beat, back to 6 beat?

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
Petethefish

6 beat-2 beat, back to 6 beat?

Postby Petethefish » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:06 am

I'm a IM triathlete and last year changed my random flutter kick to a symmetrical 2 beat kick. I say symmetrical cause my random flutter wasn't and I was kicking with my right foot when my right arm was catching. Everything I read said this wasn't good!
After lots of effort in the pool I got the 2 beat working well and I am as quick now as before and it seems easier- generally 58-1.02 for IM swim.
I think of myself as a smooth, but the reality is I am a bit of an over glider and have plateaued.
For one I need to do more work to improve( don't do anywhere near enough and focused enough work now) but I also question whether I should, with our winter coming up in uk, try to go back to 6 beat kick(symmetrical this time) to help raise my tempo?
Problem is how best to do it- sounds easy to move from 2- 6 just kick legs more, but in practice I just won't happen when I have tried
Any ideas - is it worth it, tips on drills to assist etc?

Thanks

gavinp

Re: 6 beat-2 beat, back to 6 beat?

Postby gavinp » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi Pete

I always train to do both but in different sessions because it's good to have the ability to change depending on the conditions and environment. A great skill to have.

Maybe start with flippers and get back to basics with short sets of streamline kick drills and 6/1/6, 6/3/6 drills to get that 6 beat kick feeling going. Now you've got to 2 beat it'll take a little time to re-learn 6 beat. As I say, decide which option you are going for on that day and stick to it. Swapping in the same session completely throws your timing.

Good luck and have fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:41 pm

easiest to go from 2 beat to 6 beat with the 2 beat main kicks wiith more power, so you keep the basic timing the same.
So basically 2 beat with 4 smaller inbetween kicks. L,2,3, R, 2,3,L,2,3,R,2,3 etc.
The left and right are the 2 beat kicks.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

Petethefish

Postby Petethefish » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:16 am

Thanks all- plenty of food for thought in there.
Would welcome a view from Paul/Adam on the symmetrical point.
Maybe it's a bit like running- as a kid your body works out what's the best style for you irrespective of what the books say?

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:52 pm

If your 2BK is working why not get rid of the overgliding tendencies first with that 2BK?
Faster catch and a higher strokerate?
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

Return to “Talk Swimming!”