Synchronising from the Feet Up

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
cottmiler

Synchronising from the Feet Up

Postby cottmiler » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:25 am

Ok, so we can do a nice 75 SPM right on the Tempo Trainer beeps but what are the legs doing?

They are supposed to be doing a 2 beat kick but are they?

How about doing the downbeat exactly on the beeps and letting the arms do their thing?

This is not so easy since the brain prefers to control the arms and not the feet but you must persevere until it happens.

This routine corrects any leg wiggle, corrects any hesitations in the pull and is a Good Thing.

Whilst you are trying to electrically connect brain and feet (which are a long distance away) remember to keep the legs straight, toes pointed in and legs crossing over (hide the foot) in order to minimise the legs flying apart.

I think my stroke is better today because I identified several coordination errors. I used bilateral breathing and tried to keep one goggle in the water.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

gavinp

Re: Synchronising from the Feet Up

Postby gavinp » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi Cott

That's good going. For training and getting the coordination going, give a go at dropping the beeps down to about 70-72 and get your flippers on when starting off the session doing a 2-beat kick. The flippers will help with support and get the coordination right without losing the balance. It's kind of weird taking the flippers off afterwards and attempting the same thing, but 'up' the tempo back to 75 and you 'should' begin to feel the timing kick in after a few lengths (maybe straight away!).

Keep having fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:21 am

The "hide the foot" thing definitely helps me with avoiding scissoring and over-rotation. Since I started doing this, in combination with focusing on straight back and tight glutes (the "back flat against the wall" posture), I've found there's a lot less drag in my stroke.
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:22 am

Mike, yes it's sort of crossing the legs behind each other to keep them nearer each other, which you can see if you look at Shelley.

Today I did 300 m of 80 SPM and 86 SPM in addition to the usual 75 SPM in order to get the whole action used to accurate coordination.

When you think that plenty of top triathletes and competition swimmers get up to 100 SPM then I think that if they can do it so can I.

I just need to try.

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:55 am

How much effort do you guys spend on keeping the back flat and the legs tight?
I can feel the benefits too, but its so easy to let it slip into too much relaxation again after a while.
Damn, those toes arnt touching anymore, add some tension again......
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:02 am

At high cadence you have to have the legs and everything taut since you need to fire all the muscles so quickly. There is no time to relax and go floppy anywhere.

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Hi Smootharnie, like you, I find it goes if you stop focusing on it. Not a problem on short intervals, but over 1500m or more I can easily lose focus. Usually I'll start to feel something's wrong, a bit too much drag, then I'll realise I've lost the tautness. Hopefully it becomes second nature after enough repetition!
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:49 pm

I think we are both a bit too much arm orientated, but with fairly good natural balance Mike.
Seems that these types are more often a little lazy in the core.
We should always keep some effort going to the kick and keep the bottom up kick/hip driving force alive in the stroke.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

Return to “Talk Swimming!”