Father and son training

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
Tin pot

Father and son training

Postby Tin pot » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:09 am

Hi all,

I'm training for ironman and my son is keen to swim with me. I'd like to combine some of my training with teaching him. Neither of us are competitive level, my CSS is around 2 minutes and though my son (10) has had regular swimming lessons for years the technique has only recently come to him.

He tends to make big improvements when I'm in the pool, but not so much in classes. "Big arms" - getting the stroke above and below surface, and breathing is all I've really encouraged him to do, and 100m is easy for him, 200 a bit of a stretch.

So my idea is to do "Technique" main sets when I go to the pool with him, but have him do, say, half my distances so it's not exhausting. I'm not sure whether kicking drills, broken arrow and all that are appropriate for children too, so I'd love some advice.

Cheers

TP

gavinp

Re: Father and son training

Postby gavinp » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:45 am

Tin pot wrote: 100m is easy for him, 200 a bit of a stretch.TP

The key there is that it's a bit of a stretch. You'll be surprised how quickly he will be doing 2-2.5k sets with you. They are little engines!

Tin pot wrote:
So my idea is to do "Technique" main sets when I go to the pool with him, but have him do, say, half my distances so it's not exhausting. I'm not sure whether kicking drills, broken arrow and all that are appropriate for children too, so I'd love some advice.

Technique sessions are brilliant for kids. Give them the tools early on. How much are you doing? Break it in half to start and after a few weeks start adding 50-100m to each set. As I said, he will pick the endurance up to do these sets quickly - especially as technique work isn't done at speed; you are working on individual elements of the stroke.
All the drills you describe - all good for kids too.

Have fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Tin pot

Postby Tin pot » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:58 pm

gavinp wrote:
Tin pot wrote: 100m is easy for him, 200 a bit of a stretch.TP

The key there is that it's a bit of a stretch. You'll be surprised how quickly he will be doing 2-2.5k sets with you. They are little engines!

Tin pot wrote:

Technique sessions are brilliant for kids. Give them the tools early on. How much are you doing? Break it in half to start and after a few weeks start adding 50-100m to each set. As I said, he will pick the endurance up to do these sets quickly - especially as technique work isn't done at speed; you are working on individual elements of the stroke.
All the drills you describe - all good for kids too.

Have fun!

Cheers, just got back from the pool. He was daunted at the start but got through a lot.

WU 200m FS
Main (technique, something a little different) 4x 25m PB 25m Kick 25m PB, 3x 25m FS breath every 3, 25m every five, 25m as he liked

He looked a bit bushed after that so sent him off to the kids pool to lark about with his sister.

I'd thought I could use the lane next to him and get the full distance in myself, but that's going to take some work.

725m - I'm proud of him!

SharkFM

Postby SharkFM » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:41 pm

Best thing you can do is drive your son to swim practice, in a club. Find one and sign him up. Do it now!
They'll start him in the lowest user friendly group and watch him grow from there.

Then you'll be trying to keep up with him, and that is futile, but fun trying all the same.

Here's my son's latest results - he's 11. I've got some work to do :o
400m Petit bassin 5:25.20 Nouveau 4 Mar 2016

Tin pot

Postby Tin pot » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:25 pm

SharkFM wrote:Best thing you can do is drive your son to swim practice, in a club. Find one and sign him up. Do it now!
They'll start him in the lowest user friendly group and watch him grow from there.

Then you'll be trying to keep up with him, and that is futile, but fun trying all the same.

Here's my son's latest results - he's 11. I've got some work to do :o
400m Petit bassin 5:25.20 Nouveau 4 Mar 2016

That's some good results but for us this is more about training together than performance - father/son time! :)

Return to “Talk Swimming!”