Unco with an Ankle Band (Thread 2)

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
cottmiler

Unco with an Ankle Band (Thread 2)

Postby cottmiler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:42 am

It seems that my original thread started on 22 April 2016 has been spirited away by the Martians since it was such a valuable item.

Progress with this drill over the last three months has been slow but sure.

The recent discovery of Ratchup (Reverse Catchup Drill) has helped with the quest for maintaining a rigid straight body floating horizontally yet being propelled by minimal slippage hand/arm action under the water. This drill deals with the action from when the body is lying as a flat horizontal plate in the water and the pull/push rotates the body axially through 45 -85 degrees.

Unco commences with the hand entry when the body first rotates axially through the reverse direction of 45- 85 degrees and then the catch pulls the body back through 90 -170 degrees getting the good shoulder dip.

What seems to help is to do Dunco which is two pulls on the right, switchover and then two pulls on the left etc.. The switchover is the Boomer drill 2 which I referred to last year in a thread.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

cottmiler

Re: Unco with an Ankle Band (Thread 2)

Postby cottmiler » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:24 am

Something that seems to help to get the body rolling swiftly from side to side is to breathe both sides with each arm stroke.

Push off with face breathing to the left and right arm in front. Pull hard and spin the body over so you can breathe to the right. Re-enter the right hand as you roll to breathe to the left and so on.

Since this needs a twist motion it is called Twunco.

After half a lap it's best to swap arms as dizziness starts to set in.

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:07 pm

I swim normal catch-up that way - breathe both sides, and with every armstroke. As I can't use fins, I have to kick a pretty hard 6-beat pattern, and I need the extra oxygen!
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:05 pm

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:41 am

Do you pull yourself into such a big roll on purpose? You dont have to roll so much do you? I regognise some bodyline bending from my own unco.
Once your bodyline starts bending its going downhill and the speed drops.Staying straight is important. otherwise the exercise doesnt has much use.
As far as i can see it you better pull more backwards then pulling yourself so much into rotation, but thats easy for me to say. I can only do unco with a 6Bk.
Without a kick getting a constant rotation is difficult indeed.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:09 pm

I needed the big body roll because I needed to get forward speed or else the legs dropped. It is still "work in progress".

Return to “Talk Swimming!”