correcting hand entry position

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
SwimNewbie

correcting hand entry position

Postby SwimNewbie » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:45 pm

I recently attended a swim smooth clinic which I thought was terrific. Informative and enlightening. I have a lot of flaws to correct but am really going to make an effort to "buy into" the process to correct some of my technical flaws. One the issues that was apparent was my left arm, on recovery, was very low to the surface and I would stretch it far out and essentially place it on top of the surface rather than at an angle. I'm wondering what the best way to correct this is or if what I'm doing IS a good way.

I have the freestyler paddles and when I use them if that left recovery arm is too low the tip of the paddle will hit the surface and it's very obvious with these paddles if I'm just laying the paddle on the surface rather than coming it at an angle. I am wondering if also using a snorkel while using the paddles or just swimming freestyle without paddles would help because I would not be turning my head to breathe and I might be able to see bubbles from my left hand coming in flat which was obvious in the video. Any other drills I should consider?

gregorywannabe

Re: correcting hand entry position

Postby gregorywannabe » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:25 am

Perhaps some drills with flippers? That way you can concentrate on the drill rather than thinking about swimming.

One arm drills would be a good way to isolate this issue. You should be able to watch your hand/arm entry.

gw

SwimNewbie

Re: correcting hand entry position

Postby SwimNewbie » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:27 pm

gregorywannabe wrote:Perhaps some drills with flippers? That way you can concentrate on the drill rather than thinking about swimming.

One arm drills would be a good way to isolate this issue. You should be able to watch your hand/arm entry.

gw

Any suggestions on some one arm drills? Flippers do help. Even during cool down I will swim freestyle with flippers and focus on getting that left hand entry position correct. The freestyler paddles do help as well.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”