pool water temperature and ease of swimming

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
The Dodo

pool water temperature and ease of swimming

Postby The Dodo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:55 am

With the advent of the Rio Olympics and some swimmers training in open-air pools there - I began to wonder about the effect temperature has on the ease at which we can swim through water. We often prefer to swim in cool'ish water rather than warm - thinking that there is more resistance to work against when the water is not warm - so I "Googled" viscosity of water relative to temperature and saw the following : -

"Viscosity and Temperature
When a liquid heats up, its molecules become excited and begin to move. The energy of this movement is enough to overcome the forces that bind the molecules together, allowing the liquid to become more fluid and decreasing its viscosity. For example, when syrup is cold it has a high viscosity and can be difficult to pour. When heated in a microwave, the viscosity decreases and the syrup flows more freely.
What is Surface Tension?
Surface tension is what makes it possible to float a needle in a cup of water, or for water-skimming insects to glide across the surface of a lake. The molecules on the surface of a liquid are bound to the molecules beside and below them, but have nothing above them to balance out these attractive forces. Because of this imbalance, the molecules on the surface of the liquid will be drawn more strongly to those around it, creating a sheet of tightly bound molecules on the surface of the liquid.
Surface Tension and Temperature
As the temperature of a liquid increases, its surface tension decreases. When water heats up, the movement of its molecules disrupts the imbalanced forces on the surface of the water and weakens its sheet-like barrier of tightly bound molecules, thereby lowering the surface tension. This is why hot water is more effective when cleaning; its low surface tension allows it to more easily penetrate the fibres of a material like fabric and wash away stains."

I could have "Googled" to find out if there is some standard for the temperature of pool water for swim competitions - but reckoned I had learnt enough - our "feelings" are valid on this matter! Effort expended overcoming resistance = propulsion - and when we aim to get a "grip" on the water (i.e. the "catch") to expend that effort, we don't want our arms to slip through it too easily. This "slippage" when swimming is an interesting business - but could be too much for my little noddle to contemplate! ;) Although I've often wondered if, at the higher SPMs there was a lot of energy being wasted in slippage driving the arms through the water "as fast as bees wings" and effectively, "spinning the wheels".

If you have any thoughts on this, please try not to "flummox" me with talk about the Reynolds number etc, unless it is essential to comprehension! :roll:

smootharnie

Re: pool water temperature and ease of swimming

Postby smootharnie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:29 pm

GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:17 pm

Ooh er! :?

Shenaram

Postby Shenaram » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:07 pm

The Dodo wrote: but could be too much for my little noddle to contemplate! ;)

Sincerest apologies if it is OT.
In some regions, "little noddle" means the thing that is dangling down between the legs.

Sorry again, I do not mean any offense to anyone, in particular NOT to the OP. I just thought that it is funny...

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Shenaram wrote:

In some regions, "little noddle" means the thing that is dangling down between the legs.

Sorry again, I do not mean any offense to anyone, in particular NOT to the OP. I just thought that it is funny...

"Using your Noodle" in Oz is using your brain, doodle as a noun on the other hand...

Water temp.... bodies reaction to too hot or too cold are gunna kick in long before temperature variations wide enough to effect viscosity.
Forum locked, might go to TI's forum, looked at SS's facebook page, too many photos...ewww...for me.
New Forum http://swim.palstani.com/

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:37 am

cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:45 am

Shenaram wrote:

Thought the context "...to contemplate" made my "Hampshire dialect" word clear. My Dad often used the phrase when "telling me off" after some stupid childish mistake "Why didn't you use your noddle more?". Thanks for the warning about cultural differences - I'll try to avoid using that word again! I wonder how many other strange dialect words I've picked up from long'ish periods living elsewhere!

@Shenaram - suggest you delete the illustration in your earlier post of Fri 05 - it "lowers the tone" of the forum - there's a proverb that says "Lewdness is the sport of fools!"
Last edited by The Dodo on Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:39 am, edited 8 times in total.

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:47 am

bit of button clicking trouble!
Last edited by The Dodo on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:49 am

more button clicking trouble!
Last edited by The Dodo on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:53 am

...and still more trouble!

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:33 am

cottmiler wrote:How about swimming in soup?...

Oh you mean the sort of "clear" water we have in our local DWfitness club pool! Recently I was interested in seeing UW the action of a good fly stroke swimmer who was just a few metres or so away across the lane rope from me. Hopeless - the water was too cloudy!

Return to “Talk Swimming!”