Ocean Race report.

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
SharkFM

Ocean Race report.

Postby SharkFM » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:22 am

58th Ocean mile. Took down the Open Division. This race was about 2K, the markers were way down the line ( I have GPS).

Not a perfect race by any means but still with the luck of entrants, ended up P1 in the wetsuits.

cottmiler

Re: Ocean Race report.

Postby cottmiler » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:36 am

Good to hear from you.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

Shenaram

Postby Shenaram » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:07 am

Congratulations!
Nice cup too.

SharkFM

Postby SharkFM » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:10 pm

Ducky wrote:
SharkFM wrote:58th Ocean mile.]

was this a participation event or did they have a clock there?

Ha ha you trying to be funny? Lately I've been killing it, just in summer strong shape and the core/posture work has been money. I've been knocking down sub 5min 400's w/suit that is. You can add a full minute or more without!

Here's a bit of report I did on another forum:

It's a no-charge entry race run by the city. Great historic event. 100's of people and city dignitaries (MLA's) watch the race. Course was long this year, my guess is ~ 2km as I have GPS'd the shoreline more than a few times. Conditions were good, slight swell and current coming back. Start at the gates you swim out then back in, parallel to the beach along the markers. Never more than say 10 feet deep.

Ravensong, Nanaimo & Victoria club swimmers took it quickly out at the front. I ran into the feet of some slower kids, swung out to overtake but lost the small front group by the first turn. Here's the start photo, I'm in the suit :evil: .
I'm not really aggressive enough therefore was destined to no-man's land for the remainder of the race. Swam a mix of stroke styles incl 1:3 to keep straight as I can't see very well. Current coming back I used 6BK breathing every stroke and then turned it up as much as I was willing with the end in sight.

Family friends of ours, Haley "the Comet" who is swimming 12x per week etc. out of the Victoria High Performance center, took first overall ~ 22:45? She's had a good year competition wise. My buddy Owen was 2nd with a 23:15 ish. I came in officially with a 29:00. However, I stopped to assist another swimmer tangled up in the final buoy and (women first!) held up so she could move ahead to the finish. So I was more like a 28:45 ish

The Doctor
https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com/status/765223439720251392

The "Comet"
https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com/status/765051079167836161

SharkFM

Postby SharkFM » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:22 am

I tested 3 suits beforehand, used B70 reaction, with some tweaks (snake oil) + Hammer nutrition= significant. Followed a casual warm up & prep plan, starting at 8am. Important note this included 1 hour of rolling/lax ball/ mobility.

Times are relative, to one another on the day of. I swam 1.5K in the morning, 2km at the race.

Then after dinner & some wagers, I took my 23 yo son Shane on in a 700M set-to (I smoked him). Recall Shane was like a 59:00 100M time, as a 17 year old, in board shorts and no cap. Still races in board shorts and no cap :lol: We did that in just over 9 mins, hitting a neighbour's boat, I sprinted in with about 100M as he was sputtering.

I have not been swimming that much. 6:30 am foam rolling and warm-ups, 7am water-ski, immediately follow with treadmill for 30mins, then 750M swim followed by 20 min core workout based on this https://youtu.be/0__WL6PzmGA Then breakfast :) Afternoon another 1K maybe tops, drills and stuff. No wetsuit swimming since late June.

Fixing posture was monumental. Adding strength I gained a lot of grunt, easier breathing too, as the breath is now de-coupled from the stroking/core action, if that makes sense.

SharkFM

Postby SharkFM » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Wetsuit does 3 things = buoyancy, and reduce skin/surface drag, and adds more "air". I'm a bit challenged on these fronts, cause I am a hairy beast with knobby limbs, and sink like stone. Because I am so low in the water my window to take in air is reduced. The suit corrects all these and I can let the dog run!

Opposite to me is Ledecky who has a little bit of a built-in wetsuit. That is why she is so fast, rides high in the water and mass concentrated at the base = streamlined natively.

With no suit - I can sprint 50M on par with my son Logan he's 12 years old @ 1:11ish +/- timed before TSUN summer break.
With the suit I can probably sprint that in sub 1:00 here at the lake (using my GPS)

So you are correct, that's about up to 15 sec +/- per 100M. Sprinting will be on the low end of the suit differential.

Now what is crazy is that other swimmers, you know the real ones, seem to take the suit time "legit" even 1:1...saying "hey great time" etc. In the back of my mind I'm like OK I'll take it, but you have no idea - want to see me really speed up? I'll go to the next level and use a surfboard :lol:

Don't matter, I'm not breaking WR's anytime soon.

Here's some pool times from the "Comet"
800m Freestyle 25m 9:04.79
400m Freestyle 50m 4:14.66

Top in Canada:
1 RUCK Taylor 2000 Unattached Canada 4:09.93 5 Apr 2016 Toronto <<< Swam for Canada in RIO, trains in USA
2 ANDERSON Olivia 1999 Etobicoke Swim Club 4:14.56 5 Apr 2016 Toronto
3 BENNETT Haley 1999 Uvic-Pcs Association 4:14.66 New 3 Jun 2016 Victoria

Actually Based on that 22.5mins/18 mins *1600M= 2000M I think we were under 2K but pretty close.

SharkFM

Postby SharkFM » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:58 am

My wife mentioned the Ocean race was covered in the local paper. Of course you could mistake that guy in the pix for me, but it's Owen coming out of the water :roll: . Headline is pretty dramatic. Kinda funny they wrote that I had "listed my hometown as Sproat Lake".

You see Port Alberni is reeling after years of being labelled the worst city to live in Canada, so they take it personally.

https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com/status/768598517262667776

Return to “Talk Swimming!”