Scared of the deep part of the pool

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
CrystalEve

Scared of the deep part of the pool

Postby CrystalEve » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:32 am

So, today the coach asked us to jump into the deep part of the pool while she was there to make us feel safe, help when needed. Although she was right there and there's no risk of jumping at all, but I freaked out. I was so scared. I'm no longer scared in the shallow part of the pool where my legs are touching the floor because I know when I can't take my breath, I would just draw my hands and my legs and stand up on the floor, so it felt quite safe for me and I train on flutter kicks and arm movement right there in the superficial part of the pool without fear. While I still don't know any techniques to get out of water when my breath is out,so I panic, add to this; the idea of jumping itself freaks me out, but what makes it even worse is that I don't feel safe in deep water, don't know how to stand up if I want to take my breath, because If I stand up like the way I do in the shallow water, where would I be putting my feet? I'll drown. I know I should learn how to take my breath but still can't get my head out of water and still haven't trained very well on rolling my head to take a breath. Can I come out of my horizontal position exactly the same way I do in the shallow part of the pool and start treading water, I mean like moving my arms and legs to keep my head above water as my legs can't touch the bottom of the pool. Would that work? Although the coach is watching us carefully, I still don't feel safe at all. I don't know where is the problem exactly, I think I'm coward. What should I do to get over this? I really want to be a good swimmer but I'm terribly scared. I don't know what to do to feel safe and what to keep in mind.

Shenaram

Re: Scared of the deep part of the pool

Postby Shenaram » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:26 am

CrystalEve wrote: I don't feel safe in deep water, don't know how to stand up if I want to take my breath...
... I don't know what to do to feel safe and what to keep in mind.

I feel sorry for your fear. That feel is understandably scary.

While I am not an expert in this field, with your permission, I would like to give you my opinion which is as worth as it is free.
I think that the solution is to be found in the word itself "don't feel safe" (in the head). Anyone who feels loosing control would tend to not feel safe.

Perhaps, learning your buoyancy would help taming your bad feel, eventually getting rid of it.

One possible exercise would be to float vertically, without (or barely) using your arms or legs. You should ultimately realise that you would stay afloat almost indefinitely. Of course, only the top of the head and some of the forehead would be out of the water. Still you would not be able to breathe. With little effort though, for instance tilting the head back, or lightly using arm scull or leg action, you should be able to get the mouth out of the water and breath (almost) normally. It may take some practice though.

This may show you that whenever you are tired or bored or waiting for instruction or waiting for a lane jam to dissolve or just feel so, you are able to stay afloat and breathe for a long time, provided that you do not panic.

With a little more experience you may try the "breathe in rhythm with bobbing". Indeed, breathing while floating vertically generates a slight bobbing. The head is alternatively completely immersed, then out of the water every 1, or 2, or 3 seconds.

I found one video (among many): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWwRGrPquJU

I hope that with further experience you may enjoy swimming in deep water, swimming more and faster and other stroke styles, ultimately reaching your goal.
Good luck with your swimming.

NOTE: your instructor seems to be fairly rough in her manner. First mocking, then scaring. I guess that there are many ways to teach, though there may be many other more learner-feeling friendly ways.

CrystalEve

Postby CrystalEve » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:22 am

Shenaram wrote:
CrystalEve wrote: I don't feel safe in deep water, don't know how to stand up if I want to take my breath...
... I don't know what to do to feel safe and what to keep in mind.

I feel sorry for your fear. That feel is understandably scary.

While I am not an expert in this field, with your permission, I would like to give you my opinion which is as worth as it is free.
I think that the solution is to be found in the word itself "don't feel safe" (in the head). Anyone who feels loosing control would tend to not feel safe.

Perhaps, learning your buoyancy would help taming your bad feel, eventually getting rid of it.

One possible exercise would be to float vertically, without (or barely) using your arms or legs. You should ultimately realise that you would stay afloat almost indefinitely. Of course, only the top of the head and some of the forehead would be out of the water. Still you would not be able to breathe. With little effort though, for instance tilting the head back, or lightly using arm scull or leg action, you should be able to get the mouth out of the water and breath (almost) normally. It may take some practice though.

This may show you that whenever you are tired or bored or waiting for instruction or waiting for a lane jam to dissolve or just feel so, you are able to stay afloat and breathe for a long time, provided that you do not panic.

With a little more experience you may try the "breathe in rhythm with bobbing". Indeed, breathing while floating vertically generates a slight bobbing. The head is alternatively completely immersed, then out of the water every 1, or 2, or 3 seconds.

I found one video (among many): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWwRGrPquJU

I hope that with further experience you may enjoy swimming in deep water, swimming more and faster and other stroke styles, ultimately reaching your goal.
Good luck with your swimming.

NOTE: your instructor seems to be fairly rough in her manner. First mocking, then scaring. I guess that there are many ways to teach, though there may be many other more learner-feeling friendly ways.

Thank you a lot. I guess I need to practice more in the shallow part before going to the deep end.

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:23 am

"Shenaram" is quite right! Holding onto the edge of the pool deck for security - work your way around from the shallow end to the deeper one until your head is still above the water but your feet will soon loose contact with the bottom if go any more towards the deep end. Then push yourself down, bending the knees, until your head is just beneath the surface. You should feel an upward force causing you to bob up to the surface - that's the buoyancy from your lungs! Do this a couple of times for re-assurance - then be a bit daring and work your way more towards the deep end, still keeping a hold on the pool side deck. when your feet come off the bottom, repeat the pushing down action of the arm, without loosing contact with the pool deck - so your feet are off the bottom - enjoy the bob back to the surface!

Make an inhalation and hold it in for a while, push yourself away from the wall a bit, but still within arm's reach, in case you get desperate - bring your arms down by your sides and look up towards the ceiling so that you are in, what we hope, is a vertical floating position. Feet off the bottom, arms by the sides, and if you have average buoyancy while tilting the head back looking up at the ceiling, the water will edge around your forehead/cheeks with your mouth just clear of the water - so you can do a quick exhale and inhale - stay in that position for a few minutes to reassure yourself you are not going to sink, because of the buoyant effect of the air in your lungs.

A further "step"! Move around the pool wall till you are in the deep end (water much more than your height). Take a normal breath. Push yourself slightly away from the side wall, and raise your arms outstretched above your head - that action will drive you downwards so that your feet may even touch the bottom. Then sweep your arms downwards to bring them close to your sides, that will cause you to shoot up to the surface, with head well above the water for an instant, and you can grab the pool side wall again! Getting a bit more confidence?

There are an extremely small number of people (usually heavy-boned men) who have such low buoyancy that it is necessary for them to keep moving the arms and legs to support them at the surface - I very much doubt that you are one of them!!! In general, ladies have better buoyancy than men.
Last edited by The Dodo on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom65

Postby Tom65 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:48 am

CrystalEve wrote:So, today the coach asked us to jump into the deep part of the pool while she was there to make us feel safe, help when needed. Although she was right there and there's no risk of jumping at all, but I freaked out. I was so scared. I'm no longer scared in the shallow part of the pool where my legs are touching the floor because I know when I can't take my breath, I would just draw my hands and my legs and stand up on the floor, so it felt quite safe for me and I train on flutter kicks and arm movement right there in the superficial part of the pool without fear. While I still don't know any techniques to get out of water when my breath is out,so I panic, add to this; the idea of jumping itself freaks me out, but what makes it even worse is that I don't feel safe in deep water, don't know how to stand up if I want to take my breath, because If I stand up like the way I do in the shallow water, where would I be putting my feet? I'll drown. I know I should learn how to take my breath but still can't get my head out of water and still haven't trained very well on rolling my head to take a breath. Can I come out of my horizontal position exactly the same way I do in the shallow part of the pool and start treading water, I mean like moving my arms and legs to keep my head above water as my legs can't touch the bottom of the pool. Would that work? Although the coach is watching us carefully, I still don't feel safe at all. I don't know where is the problem exactly, I think I'm coward. What should I do to get over this? I really want to be a good swimmer but I'm terribly scared. I don't know what to do to feel safe and what to keep in mind.

Don't go in water above your head without a flotation device or something to hold on to until you're confident.

I've been able to swim under water for as long as I can remember, but that was all I could do in water, so I never strayed further than about 15 feet from something to grab hold of, point to point that is.

Can't say I was scared, that was just my obvious safe limit.
Forum locked, might go to TI's forum, looked at SS's facebook page, too many photos...ewww...for me.
New Forum http://swim.palstani.com/

Sprinter

Postby Sprinter » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:54 am

Another very important aspect here is to get used to, and start liking, having the head in the water. This is practised in the shallow end (where you can easily stand). Starting having the head under water for just a few seconds. Then extending this, and working on the relaxation. I just had a look around on the Internet, and
http://blog.swimator.com/2011/09/how-to ... t-and.html
looks alright to me. Perhaps it takes some time, but starting to feel comfortable with the head fully submerged is extremely important for swimming --- otherwise some form of "panic" will always be with you, creating tensions, especially with breathing, and nothing flows.
Last edited by Sprinter on Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sprinter

Postby Sprinter » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:02 am

Some exercises for getting used to the water I found at
http://blog.swimator.com/2006/01/tips-f ... -kids.html
and they look reasonable to me.
There are definitely many other sites, and forms of such exercises. It's all about getting used to being submerged, and to learn to relax.

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:05 pm

I know when I can't take my breath,

You have to learn a way to make sure you always can take a breath, no matter how deep the water is.

You could start with backfloat in the shallow end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCFqUo2CWE

if you are lucky, your legs will float too if you stretch out your arm above your head in the water.
If not, you have to kick a bit to keep them up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UASJuhQiyRg
Get comfortable in being able to float on the surface this way, so you can lay there all day if needed, doesnt matter how deep the water beneath is. You can stay at the surface.

once you know how to backfloat, next step is frontfloat and pushoff in back or frontfloat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHbKOr1wurI
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

CrystalEve

Postby CrystalEve » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:32 am

https://youtu.be/CiaoNSKcjI4
I use this technique to recover from floating in the shallow end of the pool. That's why I'm ok going any where in the pool as long as my feet can touch the ground. I feel safe and relaxed. But can this technique be safe to do in the deep water? Or will I drown because my feet are not touching the floor? Also can I float horizontally in the deep end if I jump vertically in the pool? I don't know, I don't feel good about myself, I'm pretty disappointed and feel kind of coward.

Shenaram

Postby Shenaram » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:04 am

CrystalEve wrote:I don't know, I don't feel good about myself, I'm pretty disappointed and feel kind of coward.

Please apologise if I am wrong, but it seems that you are rushing it a bit. Learning to swim is, in my opinion, quite a long journey.
I feel that your rough instructor and possibly your more advance swim mates make you feel bad, possibly inferior.

Unless you started early in your childhood or are able to revive reminiscent memory back from several hundreds millions of years (when we were fishes) it takes some time to master water and swimming in general.

CrystalEve wrote:https://youtu.be/CiaoNSKcjI4
I use this technique to recover from floating in the shallow end of the pool. That's why I'm ok going any where in the pool as long as my feet can touch the ground. I feel safe and relaxed. But can this technique be safe to do in the deep water? Or will I drown because my feet are not touching the floor? Also can I float horizontally in the deep end if I jump vertically in the pool?

In my opinion, floating is not a big problem if you are able to hold your breath for more than a few seconds without panicking. Perhaps, is holding your breath difficult for you?

One possibility is to exercise floating (vertically, on the back, on the side, or whatever) then recovering without touching the floor, in shallow water. Maybe, you are not wearing swim googles? They may help get some confidence as they allow to see underwater.

I think that the most important point is to progress step by step AND make sure that we do the drill better each time.

Good continuation.

NOTE: it may also help to pinpoint why you wanted to start swimming in the first place. It may help understanding why you seem to feel so pressured.
Last edited by Shenaram on Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sprinter

Postby Sprinter » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:38 am

Perhaps there is quite a mismatch here between the current abilities and the level of the course?
The SwimSmooth page for absolute beginners is
http://www.swimsmooth.com/mindset_beg.html

CrystalEve

Postby CrystalEve » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:20 am

Today I tried treading water but couldn't keep my head up. I'm afraid I have a problem with buoyancy.

swimmer061

Postby swimmer061 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:48 am

You are not alone. Many people are scared of deep water, me being one of them. What you need to do is just slow down. Your training seems to be progressing faster than you are. treading water is a very basic thing in the grand scheme of thing so it is necessary to get it out of the way. I recommend starting learning treading water with a couch in the shallow end or by the wall in a section of the pool just barely deeper than your height. This way you can still push off the bottom easily if you fail to hold yourself up. When it comes to turning your head while swimming, learn it in the shallow end first. Your horizontal so theres not worry about the pool being too shallow. Good luck and train with a coach that understands your skill level. Idk if this helped much but good luck to you!
website above
Hunter Allen
Just swimming for fun .... for now at least.

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:44 am

in pencil float, the avarage buoyant person has the water level around the nose eyes
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2622
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:05 am

swimmer061 wrote:... Many people are scared of deep water ...

Even for those who are confident that they are sufficiently buoyant to stay up on the surface if their lungs are full - there may be some feelings of trepidation if the watery depths are inky black (talking about the sea here!). It helps if you can actually see the bottom - it's what you can't see that is more fearful! (Maybe my imagination is too fertile! Did I wonder if in the sea, a dolphin might swim up to check me out, or I might get stung by a jellyfish's tentacles, if I blundered into one? - Have seen a dangerous "Portuguese Man-of-war" jelly fish with tentacles some 30ft long, from the side of a ship when out in the mid-Atlantic. You remember little things like that - Gulp! :roll: )

Had an unhappy experience out in the middle of Portland Harbour many years ago, after I had a dinghy capsize when alone, and couldn't get the boat upright again. The water was very chilly, had all my sailing gear on (yellow wellies, bib/brace overalls and buoyancy jacket), and wondered what to do for the best :? - try to swim for the shore perhaps a mile away, or stay with the boat (a cut down version of a "Laser") hoping someone might see my trouble and come and help me. Worried about the increasing wind force and the current from the outflow as the tide ebbed through the harbour mouths, worried about the jellyfish a bit deeper in the black inky depths (probably over 100ft deep). Fortunately I had the sense to stay clinging to the boat - but getting a bit desperate after numerous failed attempts to right it - it was an effort not to panic, as I clung to the hull (fervently praying!) :shock: I was fortunate (my prayers were answered!) - I was seen by a sailing club safety boat, and they helped me get my dinghy upright again and sail back to shore. What a pity I fell in after getting close to the shore, due to making the same mistake as in mid-harbour - letting the boom out too much as the tail-wind spiralled up the loose-footed sail (creating an unexpected sideways force near the top of the sail) and nearly capsized me again! :o Happily there was a trailing rope that I could use to haul myself back in over the stern. That thoroughly "put me off" my little efforts at single-handed dinghy sailing - yet had been so happy before on larger 2-man dinghy sailing trips, even in quite stormy conditions needing the sails to be reefed - so I wasn't a "newbie" at it!

CrystalEve

Postby CrystalEve » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:50 am

https://youtu.be/fFRL7g0O1Cs
Is it safe to try these rotations in deep water so I can get on my back and take a breath?

Shenaram

Postby Shenaram » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:11 pm

CrystalEve wrote:https://youtu.be/fFRL7g0O1Cs
Is it safe to try these rotations in deep water so I can get on my back and take a breath?

In my opinion, most, if not all, of these drills are safe in shallow waters and deeper waters.

The best for you, I think, would be to find a (good) swim coach in your area in order to get rid of your fears and start swimming. I assume that you could not do so since you created this thread and has been posing many questions.

It would help if you could show us what you can or cannot do, for instance in a video. Troubleshooting blindfolded is difficult, I think. Of course, video taping is not always easy. Everyone is helpful and in my non-expert opinion, each of the advices given is really great. It would be good to have some feedback. Perhaps, you may describe what you could do or not do with those advices.

Please continue going to the swimming pool and keep us posted.

CrystalEve

Postby CrystalEve » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:00 pm

Shenaram wrote:
CrystalEve wrote:https://youtu.be/fFRL7g0O1Cs

In my opinion, most, if not all, of these drills are safe in shallow waters and deeper waters.

The best for you, I think, would be to find a (good) swim coach in your area in order to get rid of your fears and start swimming. I assume that you could not do so since you created this thread and has been posing many questions.

It would help if you could show us what you can or cannot do, for instance in a video. Troubleshooting blindfolded is difficult, I think. Of course, video taping is not always easy. Everyone is helpful and in my non-expert opinion, each of the advices given is really great. It would be good to have some feedback. Perhaps, you may describe what you could do or not do with those advices.

Please continue going to the swimming pool and keep us posted.

Thank you. I already have a coach, she is okay, but I'm still scared of the depth. It's probably because she has not trained us enough, so our technique is not so good which makes me feel unsafe, I can float with flutter kicks, it's pretty easy, but If I get my head out of water to take my breath, I lose my alignment and drown. Also, in the front crawl, I may take the first breath, but if I try to take the second I lose my alignment and drown, its my third week in the swimming pool, so I'm supposed to get better, but somrtimes Im terribly disappointed that I think I should quit swimming because I won't do it anyway, I'm always afraid of failure.my peers are not better than I am except that they push themselves to jump in the deep water. I can't imagine how they can jump with this poor technique, but they feel safe, because if they drown, the coach will get them. I cant have this feeling of safety,also I hate jumping for no reasons, I even can't jump in the shallow water. I just hate jumping and I really wish I can overcome my fear one day. Hope I'm able to explain my problem accurately. Thank you for taking time to read my problem, I truely appreciate it.

Shenaram

Postby Shenaram » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:56 pm

CrystalEve wrote:Thank you. I already have a coach, she is okay, but I'm still scared of the depth.

Is it the person who makes fun of you?
I am not sure if she is really ok, but you may tell her your problem with deep water phobia. If she is really an okay coach, she might show you ways to overcome that fear. Otherwise, she might only be an okay coach...

CrystalEve wrote:I can float with flutter kicks, it's pretty easy, but If I get my head out of water to take my breath, I lose my alignment and drown. Also, in the front crawl, I may take the first breath, but if I try to take the second I lose my alignment and drown.

On that topic, certified swim coaches here on Swim Smooth might help you better.
I do not understand what you mean by "lose my alignment".

In my opinion, floating depends on buoyancy, not technique. On the other hand, swimming depends on buoyancy AND technique, and whatever parameter that others here find essential (I admit on that point that I lack expertise to list them exhaustively).
If you cannot take more than one breath in pencil floating (vertical floating), I think that you still have to learn your buoyancy until "mastering" it. It may require some practice, i.e. more than a few sessions. Playing with the water might help, such as bobbing in the water, holding breath and counting under water, fetching objects from the bottom of pool, or just watching the deep end of pool while holding on to the pool edge (be confronted to the source of the phobia in a safe situation), etc.
Phobias are a nasty psychological mechanism that is difficult but not impossible to get rid of, I think.

Others might disagree and I would gladly stand corrected. I am unfortunately not a certified psychologist.

Please keep going with your effort.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”