Swim Post - New Drill - Fist/Ankle Band

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
cottmiler

Swim Post - New Drill - Fist/Ankle Band

Postby cottmiler » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:07 am

At the risk of upsetting the dyed in the wool non-drilling brigade, here is another bright idea:

Swimming Fist Drill (hands closed in a fist) whilst wearing an ankle band.

This really tests the skill of holding the body taut and horizontal while paddling with a weaker pull action.

I soon discovered that I wasn't bending the right arm at 110 degrees to catch the water on the forearm correctly. Left arm was fine.

It needs a bit more clockwise twitch after the stretch forward with the right hand.

I look forward to the rotten eggs and tomatoes flying this way!
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

cottmiler

Re: Swim Post - New Drill - Fist/Ankle Band

Postby cottmiler » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Paddles are indeed an important tool in the jigsaw box of "How to Swim".

There is a chap who swims most weeks with huge paddles and goes reasonably fast. However, he uses a pull buoy and his legs still are too low. He is not learning how to use the paddles with a horizontal floating body like me. I use the ankle band like he uses the pull buoy.

Until one has experienced this floating position when a small hand movement gets the body gliding forward then swimming is just a big battle through treacle.

I use my Finis Agility and Freestyler paddles on odd occasions and they do demonstrate imperfections in the pull action when swimming with the ankle band on.

I am hoping that when I have mastered the pull action then I can revert to the two beat kick and even get a modicum of thrust from the kick.

SharkFM

Postby SharkFM » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:44 pm

I did a LOT of fists this summer. It was my go-to stroke corrective.

So easy to do, and why not?

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:40 am

Working with Mrs Cott this morning, she had a first go at swimming fist drill with ankle band and she found it hard.

With the reduced thrust there was some dolphin kicking since the legs wanted to drop.

As she was able to comment helpfully on my attempts she said that I did quite well. That means that there was minimal dolphin kick and she could see each hip peep above the water line as I rolled. The right hip was not quite as prominent since my right arm action is still deficient.

The point of this is that improvements can only come from repeated practise. In the last week I have done a couple of thousand metres of this drill and the improvement clearly showed.

woody

Postby woody » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Hi Cot
A drill you and Mrs Cot may prefer 2 lengths with just index finger pointing ( like in a gunshape) keep rest of hand reasonably relaxed so not too much tension. Then 2 lengths add in your little finger so just two fingers extended. On both of these think about the feel of the water around the extended fingers whilst trying to pull gently through the water using your forearm.
Finish off with two lengths using full hand and think about the feel.
Then repeat
It will give you a superb feel for the water.
Woody
Everything is won or lost inside your own head.

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

SharkFM

Postby SharkFM » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:52 pm

that's cool never thought about adding in fingers one at a time.

A dolphin kick here or there, so what. I mean swimming is dynamic you have to use your core action to press down onto the lungs & to do that you need your legs to set the bar. Why is that bad?

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:21 am

I am not a follower of Wabi-sabi.

Wabi-sabi (侘寂?) represents Japanese aesthetics and a Japanese world view centered on the acceptance of transience and imperfection. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete".[2] It is a concept derived from the Buddhist teaching of the three marks of existence (三法印 sanbōin?), specifically impermanence (無常 mujō?), suffering (苦 ku?) and emptiness or absence of self-nature (空 kū?).

Characteristics of the wabi-sabi aesthetic include asymmetry, asperity (roughness or irregularity), simplicity, economy, austerity, modesty, intimacy, and appreciation of the ingenuous integrity of natural objects and processes.

Any dolphin kick here demonstrates an imperfection in the pulling action and body flotation. This causes extra drag.

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:24 pm

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:32 pm

Thats looking good.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

woody

Postby woody » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:26 am

Hi Cot
I couldn't do it whilst keeping my back end so high as you have achieved . But I do have an observation.
Your rotation seems to start at the front end rather than the hips. I'm super observant of this at the moment as it's my current focus and the times I get it right my swim feels so much better.
For instance last night at squad we were swimming 3 in a lane with the front swimmer having a beeper. I was 5m behind him the act of staying with the lead swimmer made me tense and when he pulled away after 4 lengths I started pulling harder stroking faster and he got more than half a length ahead. At this point I considered my stroke it was being initiated by my front end and I was tiring. I then consciously though about initiating from the hip which I now do by thinking about my top foot moving from top to bottom taking my hips with it. A couple of lengths later I was on his feet and breathing easy .
The indicator to myself that I am initiating from th front is usually thro my handsfeeling they are just for a millisecond pulling the start of my rotation.
I think you would love your drill moving from fists to 1 finger. then add in the little finger , then full hand. The lengths with the fingers added give you a feel as you pull through the water.
Edit I just watched again I can almost see your concentration on pushing the hip but of course I can't see if the pull has already started . I would be interested if you tried it thinking about your ankles moving first taking the rest of your body with them and then pull.
But I am so impressed with your balance this thousands of lengths with the band have paid off.
woody
Everything is won or lost inside your own head.

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Thanks woody for the nice observations.

Terry Laughlin of T.I wrote recently that he swam competitively and coached for 20 years before he discovered body balance. That transformed his appreciation of what swimming is all about.

My thread "The Twitch " of Aug 2nd 2016 describes a light bulb moment on this.

I will try more of the finger tip drill you mention.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”