Introductions - Say Hello

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
Burchib

Re: Introductions - Say Hello

Postby Burchib » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi,
My name is Barry. I am 56, and I am trying to learn the freestyle so I can do triathlons. I have been a fairly functional sidestroker out in the lake, but I have never developed any technique for efficient swimming! I am looking forward to learning from this great site!

Carol123

Postby Carol123 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:35 am

Hi all i am new here....

vowthyn

Postby vowthyn » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:45 am

Hi everyone.

My name is Krzysiek, I'm 33 years old and swimming has been my passion for about 6 years. I've been reading Swimsmooth website and forum for some time, and finally decided it is time to join and maybe ask for some guidance to my stroke.

Luke_Wadrzyk

Postby Luke_Wadrzyk » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Lucas and I'm from Poland. I've been swimmer for 16 years (with 5 years break ;)). Now I'm swimming teacher and beginning coach too. I'm interested in swimming technique and that's my big passion.
I hope you'll give me some useful guidelines and I'll help you too ;)

Nolania

Postby Nolania » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:32 pm

Hi name is Ian

I am a level 2 Tri coach, but have not coached in Tri for about 7-8 years. Decided to return back to tri coaching. Have been following swim smooth for some time, have brought their book and attended a BTF organised swim smooth presentation late last year to update my self on changes.
The Mr Smooth FS Demo is great.

dcbowers73

Postby dcbowers73 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi from Illinois! I'm Dave and after many years around competitive swimming (swimmer, swim parent, official), I decided to start coaching my local high school swim team this year for the first time. Came across your site early in the season and we've had great success implementing some of your techniques, especially your focus on EVF. I tease my kids that, as an added bonus, they get to learn a foreign language at the same time: Australian! We're just past mid point in the season, freestyle has been our primary focus, and we're seeing significant time drops across the board. It's tons of fun when everyone is getting faster! Thanks for the help!

asdurand@wcpp.gov.za

Postby asdurand@wcpp.gov.za » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi from Cape Town, South Africa. I have been swimming for 4 months now. I am an HR practitioner and have two kids. Swimming is just great. My partner swims with me and i have recently completed my first open water kilometer. I only discovered the swim smooth website yesterday and have found so many tips and information - will try it out tonight when i swim. I have never had a day's swimming coaching in my life and must figure it all out for myself.
Lena in Cape Town

jay1lk

Postby jay1lk » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Hi
My name is Jason, 43. Based in Cornwall, currently doing lvl 1 triathlon coaching. would like to be more swim orientated and looking to do further swim coaching.

topswimmingworkouts

Postby topswimmingworkouts » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:02 am

Hi Guys, I'm Jeff! I'm new here and hope to contribute soon if possible!

ianwbracken

Re: Relaxation Hello

Postby ianwbracken » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Adam Young wrote:Welcome to the Swim Smooth forum - why not quickly introduce yourself and say hi?
Hi I am Ian
Interesting question, if you swim and your stomach is tight is that because you are not relaxing. If I use the float between the legs its fantastic not tight and not tired at the end!. I do the sink downs a treat so would seem breathing OK. Any thoughts?

ken269

Postby ken269 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:13 pm

Good morning, my name is Ken. Last June I couldn't swim 25m without feeling as if I needed oxygen (I could run and bike all day, but when it came to water, I was horrible). I bought the Swim Smooth book, watched all the videos I could get my hands on, and now my weekly totals hover around 12-14000m. The best piece of equipment I ever bought (after I read of it in the book) was the Finis Tempo Timer. I tuck it under my goggle strap and just GO! Yesterday the Ironman/Distance swim training program arrived and I look forward to starting it on Monday. I'll never be fast, but I want to become more efficient in the water with a better stroke technique and a bit more power.

I do have a question though: I notice the first 'long swim' in the plan is 2500m which is half of what I normally do, currently at 52-53 on the Tempo Timer. I was wondering if I should do the 2500m and bump up the speed +1 or simply stay at my current levels, gradually increasing distance? 'Long swim' days for me are 4000+ and generally 2x per week, with the other four days in the 2500-3000 range depending upon the goals for that day. Usually I finish the 'long swim' with a 2-3 mile run.

Anyway, thanks for the great website and for the Forum and while I'm not one to give advice to anyone I'll say two things: (1) Yes, you can improve-I managed to-but it takes time, patience, and a plan. And at least where I swim, I've never found anyone who wasn't helpful if you have a question. (2) Get your self a Tempo Trainer! It will seem slow at first and that's good because you can concentrate on your stroke, but I promise you when you start hitting 1000, 1500 and 2000m mark it won't seem so slow!

:D All the best!

Ken

timiji

Postby timiji » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:07 am

Hi all,
New to Swim Smooth but not to swimming... thought I'd drop a wee 'hi'.

Germano rosa

Postby Germano rosa » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:35 am

Hi! I really appreciate this Forum! Thank for your precious advices. I do love swimming: it's my personal daily meditation and tuning.
Mr. Smooth is a brilliant tool. Greetings from Venice (Italy)

masip

Postby masip » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:55 pm

Hi, I am Marco from Austria, I picked up swimming 2 years ago with the local swim club and I felt that I reached a plateau with little to no progress. That's when I bought the swimm smooth book, invested in some Finis gear and started CSS pacing today. It's such a huge leap forward to me personally, I cannot thank you enough for it! Keep up the great work, and yes, the world certainly needs better swimming! 8-)

davew

Postby davew » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:58 pm

Hi All, My names Dave and I live in Western Australia. I travel widely most years and I will be seeking out various open water races wherever I go. I've just entered a 2km event in Copenhagen, Denmark in June. Looking forward to other events in Germany, Austria, the USA and also Japan perhaps this year as well as events in my home country. I'm a young 'older' guy of 50 plus and generally mountain bike to keep fit.
Looking forward too to going through this site and chatting with other swimmers
Cheers
Dave

Paula George

Postby Paula George » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi there

My name is Paula and I am a BTF L3 coach and Coach Educator here in the UK and loving how Swim Smooth techniques are helping our triathletes here - thanks for sharing Mr Smooth!

patricKfoy

Postby patricKfoy » Tue May 05, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi Swim Smooth

During the latter part of last year I decided to get into the world of triathlons and after watching a view Youtube videos about triathlon for beginners, one piece of advice particularity stood out to me, and that was to just sign-up for a triathlon and go from there.
My wife, after some research, gave me the Swim Smooth book as a Christmas present, so that I could improve my swimming.
I am 50 years old this year and although I have enjoyed a very active life style throughout my entire life, I have never participated within any particularity sport. I learnt to swim as a youngster but not to any marked level, I can obviously ride a bike but have always been against running for the sake of running. So for me it was great to be able to make significant improvements in all disciplines.
From watching many of the Youtube videos aimed at triathlon beginners, there was a common thread of advice from all about focusing on the swimming as this would be the most technical of all three disciplines.
Before receiving the Swim Smooth book, I had already started swimming before work and within a few days I was swimming 2km breaststroke. But as soon as I started trying freestyle, I struggle to do 50m without have to revert back to breaststroke to regain my breathing.
I read through the Swim Smooth book and then after identifying my style as classic Arnie, I download the information pack for the Arnie swim type. I was lucky enough to swim 3 to 4 times a week and after working through the Arnie program I quickly progressed to swimming well over a 1km in a half hour each session.
My regular training was interrupted by holidays and work commitments and at the same time I joined a local triathlon club that did swim training on a Monday night and running midweek. And then things just went horribly wrong. Although I thought my technique had vastly Improved, my stamina just declined beyond believe and once again I am struggling to swim several lengths without needing a break.
I swam with the triathlon club last night but just couldn’t swim the distance. When I used a Pull Buoy, I could sustain my swimming, so I knew that I had reverted right back to a classic Arnie. The frustration and disappointment was overwhelming and the want to give it all up was very real. I am currently living in German but have very little grasp of the language at present, so trying to find a suitable and competent coach is very difficult.
I have just signed up to your 48 hour free trial and read though some of the Arnie specific training program and suddenly, not only have a lot of my shortcoming now become clear to me but with the additional aid of your training videos, I am now incredibly confident that I can start once again at the beginning and work my way through the training program with a much more robust foundation to build on. The vidoes provide so much more information than could ever be provided by the book alone.
I must tell you that the 48 hour trial, provides not only a great insight into what you get for your money when you sign up for the full subscription but it also clearly shows that Swim Smooth know more about what they are talking about than any other source but also have the tools available to improve every possible swimmer.
As with any classic Arnie, I am pleased that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I know that persistence will eventually pay off. With your help I know that I will be able to reach the level of swimming that I so desperately want to achieve.

Kind regards
Patrick

fastier

Postby fastier » Tue May 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Hi - I'm Frank, from California. I'm a self-taught freestyle swimmer, who loves swimming! I swam with the Master's here for a while, but now I'm swimming by myself, 5k 3 times a week. Loving it!

sg.johnny

Postby sg.johnny » Thu May 07, 2015 7:58 am

Hello everybody,
I'm an beginner/intermediate swimmer. My name is Johnny and I live in the north west coast of Italy, and I started swim about 2 years ago, after a bicycle accident where I broke my leg. "Thanks" to that event, now I'm a triathlete and I love swim both in pool and in the sea.
I'm trying to improve my technique but that's very difficult! I started to follow SS 1 year ago so I discovered I am a classic overglider who try to remove dead spots and swim with more continuity.
This year I'd like to swim the www.swimtheisland.com 6 km distance; last year I swim the 3,5 km distance and I found out that open water swimming is amazing!

robbieandzact

Postby robbieandzact » Tue May 12, 2015 5:47 am

Hi all, my name is Jan and I am from England. I am 60 yrs. old and just got back into swimming after about 10 year lay off. Once I get my stamina built up a bit I will be joining my local Masters swimming group and my goal is to compete at Masters gala's.
I love Mr Smooth and have learnt a lot from watching the animation over and over again. Bye for now.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”