Introductions - Say Hello

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
dmitrii

Re: Introductions - Say Hello

Postby dmitrii » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi from Helsiniki, I am Dmitrii, glad to be here. SwimSmooth is doing great job, that's why I am here. My level is about 2:00/100m, My goal is 10k open water swimming. I've been swimming for a couple of years already and get to a plateau. I've been reading a lot, and still without speed improving, now besides reading I am starting writing, let's see if it helps. Some people recommend to start swimming to get faster, I have no idea why are they saying so...

Swimcoach

Postby Swimcoach » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:51 pm

G'day Guys,

My name is Steve and I am a swimcoach in Australia about 3 hours east of Sydney. I believe that knowledge shared is knowledge gained so i really looking forward to share my ideas and helping people when I can.
Check out my website at www.swimbetterhq.com

hellraiser6662

Postby hellraiser6662 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:27 pm

Hello. My names hewy and ive in the uk. I've been swimming freestyle since my back went pop on my L5/S1 disc. I've had two major ops and now have little disc left. I've got nerve damage down my right leg. Took swimming up at first to help with taking the body weight off the spine when I was pre op may 2011 and then post op to gain my core back and help me move again. I used a pull bouy for alot of the time as using the legs is hard. Then having another op Nov 2015 to remove all the soft part of the disc the road to recovery was aided because of me swimming so much, just before the op I swam the 22 mile aspire channel challenge and manged to swim a total of 33 miles before the op ofcause it wasn't in one go it was over a few weeks.. I'm now a year later and slowly very slowly starting use my legs though they don't push me much. I still use a pull bouy alot or now I use fins to keep my body up. I swim mostly in the local pool 3 times a week for about a hour at a time. The average is 108 Lenths of a 25m pool. I normally do more but I've slowed down to put more thought into what im doing .. hence why I found swim smooth, I'm now reading the book which is hard for a dyslexic to take it in.. Thank god it's got pictures haha. I'm not the fastest by any means I just see it as away to keep me fit at 46 and to be able to walk and keep riding motorbikes , surf and help me in my job as a tattooist. My aim is to swim the channel for aspire charity in a relay team. But that's along way off I've only swam in the north sea once, I didn't find it as bad as I thought but I was wearing my surf summer wet suit which helped plus large fins, well we all got to start somewhere haha. With vids and advice from the book I'm sure I'll only get better. Slow and steady wins the race so they say.
Hewy.

hughesy

Postby hughesy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:06 am

Hi, I'm Gareth, I'm 63, didn't start swimming till 34, no regular swimming until the last 3 years, during which time I've learnt the beautiful FC.

I do most of my swimming in the lagoon in Mauritius, manage 900 m in 32 mins, and this has felt very comfortable and relaxed, though recently I have wanted to go faster! Though I've dipped in an out of Swimsmooth over the last couple of years, it's only in the last couple of weeks that I've studied the contents in detail, and it's been a revelation. In particular, I think I'm just grasping (literally?) the concept of the flexed wrist catch. It now feels as though it's making a bit more sense, and I just need to increase my tempo a bit to get some forward momentum to help. As someone else has written, I can't wait to get back to the water to try it out in a longer swim.

Hope I can now transfer this insight into action. Thanks to the SS team and also all the contributors whose different perspectives and ways of explaining have also helped.

Gareth

jbrunningman

Postby jbrunningman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Hi Everyone, new to the forum just thought i would drop by and say hi......

Hope to speak with some of you soon

adamfra

Postby adamfra » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:13 pm

Hi everyone :-)

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:42 pm

Hi,

before I start hammering out Swimming questions, i´d like to introduce myself.

I´m 48 yrs old and from Germany, so please excuse my language.
Work, wife, Kids, dog, limited time..

I started to train swimming 3 years ago after I had a shoulder surgery and I had to build up my upper Body strength again.
Of course, i was able to swim and crawl before, but never trained.

After playing ice hockey all my live and doing bike crits, Swimming is my new love.

swim smooth is the best site on the net i´ve came across so far and i´ve read a lot.

I swim 4 times a week mostly alone. Once a week I swim at a Club, but there´s no Coach on deck.
So basically I tought myself how to swim via reading, YouTube and Monitoring myself 8-) .
I think about a getting a Coach, to have a look at my Swimming.

I did CSS and switched to USRPT to develop more Speed, and it works.
I did my first open water Event last year (3.3 km 50:00min 1:32min/100m)
Last month I swam an 2-hours Event, where i did 7150m in an 25m-Pool :roll:
So endurance is my Thing, whereas Speed not so much..

I have 2 OW-competitions this summer to train for.
Another Goal, which I never imagined being possible is Swimming 15:00/1000m. Right now it´s about 15:20min.

awhatley

Postby awhatley » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:25 pm

Quick question from a swimming newbie (does that make me a guppy).
What is the standard unit of measurement when discussing swim pace? Running uses the minutes per mile and biking uses miles per hour. For swimming, I have seen some references to minutes per 100 yards or minutes per 100 meters. Are either considered the standard or is there another?

Thanks,
Andrew
(aka Atlanta Guppy)

nofins

Postby nofins » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum. If you post your question on the main Talk Swimming site you should get more replies and maybe Gavin one of the SS coaches might reply. Personally I think both are standard you just have to know if your time is yards or metres. I switch between pools that are yards and meters so I get used to the time difference for my lengths. Are you thinking about your css pace?

bez

Postby bez » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi all,

35 and trying to learn to swim. I want to believe!

JoeyG

Postby JoeyG » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi ,I am Joey .Glad to meet you so many warm friends ,such a big family.I love swimming,and many other outdoor activities.I love you guys! :P :P :mrgreen: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :idea: :idea: :twisted: :twisted:

tranhaitrieu84

Postby tranhaitrieu84 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:45 am

Hi all,

I come from Vietnam. I'd like to say hello to everyone

I love swimming, and practiced around 1 year freestyle, I swim 4 days/week. At the moment I can swim 2k for 55minutes using TI 2bk method. Is it average performance? How can I speed up? :)

Hope to receive advised from you guys all

Thanks

Trieu

Likeabrick

Postby Likeabrick » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:22 pm

Hi all!

I'm Penny, living in London, desperately trying to learn front crawl - third or fourth time around! I can swim breaststroke all day - but front crawl - well, holds all manner of fears for me... am a bambino-arnie hybrid :lol:

Looking forward to sharing/learning tips that work and hearing how everyone else is doing!

SwimAng

Postby SwimAng » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Hey, I just found this site; I joined to answer a question and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm in the Pacific Northwest. I did a little swimming a few years ago when I was training for a (very casual) triathlon, and I'm trying to get back into it, maybe do some morning laps for exercise. Thanks for the great site!

Mattspur

Postby Mattspur » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:32 am

Hi all

I'm Matt from London. I've just joined the forum and wanted to say hello.

I'm a pretty decent breaststroke swimmer but my front crawl is shameful. Would really like to improve it.

Also, what's up with the GD Designs Rochdale Review threads???

swimmer061

Postby swimmer061 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 am

Hey does anyone know how to make a signature on this forum. I want to be able to have a nice quote and my website ** www.SwimSteady.com ** Any help is appreciated!
website above
Hunter Allen
Just swimming for fun .... for now at least.

Monica63

Postby Monica63 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:04 am

Hi

I'm new here - started back swimming around 3months ago, go to local pool now 4/5 times a week, can't do frontcrawl, though relatively good at breaststoke, swimming 70 lengths in an hour. Hoping to get fit again and in turn increase stamina and tone up a little.

Also I would be most grateful if anyone could provide advice on swimming goggles, as now have itchy red eye(Swimmers eye)very irritating, never worn swimming goggles, so advice and suggestions on which are the best/fit would be most helpful.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from this forum.

Regards

Monica

Mattspur

Postby Mattspur » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Monica63 wrote:Hi

I'm new here - started back swimming around 3months ago, go to local pool now 4/5 times a week, can't do frontcrawl, though relatively good at breaststoke, swimming 70 lengths in an hour. Hoping to get fit again and in turn increase stamina and tone up a little.

Also I would be most grateful if anyone could provide advice on swimming goggles, as now have itchy red eye(Swimmers eye)very irritating, never worn swimming goggles, so advice and suggestions on which are the best/fit would be most helpful.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from this forum.

Regards

Monica

Hi Monica

If you're swimming for a hour you definitely want to get yourself some goggles.

I think at the stage you're at it doesn't really make a huge difference what goggles you go for. As long as they are a reputable brand you should be able to find a good pair for a reasonable price.

Monica63

Postby Monica63 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi
Thank you for advice, heading to town centre tomorrow to buy goggles as haven't been swimming for a week to let my eyes settle. Thank you again for taking time to reply and offer advice.
Regards
Monica

Monica63

Postby Monica63 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi
Thank you for advice, heading to town centre tomorrow to buy goggles as haven't been swimming for a week to let my eyes settle. Thank you again for taking time to reply and offer advice.
Regards
Monica

Return to “Talk Swimming!”