Introductions - Say Hello

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
samwear

Re: Introductions - Say Hello

Postby samwear » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:32 am

Hi,

I am steven (50yrs) very much a swinger and going to work hard in the next months, using swimsmooth to drop my IM swim from 1:16 @62bpm(finis) to as low as possible !
and how low could/should that be, when hitting the pool 5 times, 30-40minutes, a week ??
love to hear from you how you all got faster.

DoraTheExplorer

Postby DoraTheExplorer » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:56 am

Hello,

I was in a swimming club as a kid and swimming is the only sport I've ever been half decent at. Everyone tells me that I have a lovely stroke and that it's beautiful to watch in the water (they're non-swimmers), but I'm not very fast. My 100m pace has plateaued at around 1.52.
I have realised that I'm an incredibly lazy swimmer, my heart rate is never up (I'm never out of breath or desperate for a rest) and my stroke rate is only around 22 strokes (not cycles) per minute, I guess I really use swimming as a bit of exercise and relaxation. Was surprised when I used the tempo trainer for the first time how much I must "zone out" while swimming, as set at 23 strokes per minute, I actually had to put in a tiny bit off effort, and my arms did actually ache the next day!
I swim on my own, in a gym pool, so am looking to get myself faster and get a bit of a workout, for no other reason than because swimming is the only sport I can stick at. I'm not interested in races or open water (found out you really can't zone out there!), but I'd still really like to have a respectable time and know that if I did ever enter a race, I wouldn't come straight out last!

Tanethra

Postby Tanethra » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi everybody,

Just a quick line to introduce myself to the forum.

Mainly learned to "swim" by my dad and had the class swimming lessons in junior school, (UK), were I earned the bronze and silver swimming certificates but unable to complete the gold much to my chagrin that my leg kick in the breaststroke wasn't good enough :| . So missed out on the what I consider more useful stuff like life-saving etc but did 1km using the backstroke. That was in the early 80's

Advance many years and my wife and I now started taking our son (3 years) to the local swimming pool at the weekend to get him used to the water and learn the rudiments. My wife is a good swimmer and shows she was coached well during her time in the swimming club she attended when she was younger. Good technique in all the strokes she does, front crawl, back stroke and breast stroke, (not see her do the Butterfly), anyway I digress.

In order to get some benefit going to the pool I decided to learn once and for all the proper technique for the freestyle / front crawl with bilateral breathing. Saw this web site and how comprehensive in its attention to detail in all the aspects of the FC technique. So I'm starting with some drills to condition myself to breath out whilst underwater, (I do tend to hold my breath and know I should breathe out), doing the 6-3-6 drills atm as I tried to swim 2 lengths of a 25yrd pool and was gasping, totally spent and not feeling great, (developed a headache!). The upside was my wife said what see saw of the stroke was much smoother as I was a rather frothy swimmer with lots of kicking etc.

Anyway that's my limited swimming history but aiming for better endurance, getting fitter and a good swimming style / form.

See you around

michaelmarshall5030

Postby michaelmarshall5030 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:01 pm

I'm new, and thought I would just say hello

SwimmerOne

Postby SwimmerOne » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi swimmers

I am new to to this forum. I am an adult with so much to achieve in my life.

I am an avid swimmer but from last few months don't get the time to go under water, now that i am have some free time (a lot in fact) and wanted to fresh start join this forum. starting a fresh journey from a long break creates lot of problems for me to gain back my strength and stamina. learn few things in between, now that i am here , will help the beginners as well expert having any issues related to swim. so ping me whenever you need any help. thanks
Everything you want to learn about swimming at www.SwimmerStop.com

dylan20

Postby dylan20 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:52 am

Hi there! My name's Dylan, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and although I've been swimming all my life I only got serious about it a couple years ago. And I only got really serious about a year ago.

About half of my swims are in the SF Bay, where I swim without a wetsuit pretty much year-round. The other half are in a pool, where I swim with the Burlingame Aquatics Club's Master's program.

My whole purpose in swimming is to get out into open water. But I'm doing the Master's workouts (and studying videos online and such) because I want to get stronger and better able to swim distances.

Glad to be here!

Dylan.

woody599

Postby woody599 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi, woody599 here!

Glad to be here :)

woody599

cheistinejose

Postby cheistinejose » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:40 am

Hello!! I'm new to this forum.
Thanks for adding me!! :)

Jen197

Postby Jen197 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:43 am

Hello, I'm female, 65 yrs old, want to swim for fitness, can't do the swim sink, keep popping up after exhaling in 1.5 metres, I weigh 71 kg, height 154, learnt what I know about swimming sitting on sidelines for years watching my kids train, what can I do to improve my stroke so I can swim forever comfortably

Jen197

Postby Jen197 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:01 pm

Sorry people, I meant sink downs, I read about a video on the swim smooth site showing sink down technique but can't find it, I can't find any replies to my first post here either as I don't know how to find

TeresaRodriguez

Postby TeresaRodriguez » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:22 am

Hello everyone, this is Teresa a swim lover and a newbie to this forum.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”