Introductions - Say Hello

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
ericvb69

Re: Introductions - Say Hello

Postby ericvb69 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:40 am

Hi, my name is Eric and I live in Spain.

I just get Paul's book Swim Smooth and I'm sort of confused about the pace times for the training sessions.

I don't understand quite well if the time added to CSS for the Endurance Sessions is computed on a 100m base or a 50m base.
Session 1 is pretty clear, as it states 'Set your 50m cycle time to half your 100m pace for CSS + 5", ie If CSS is 1'40", 50m cycle time is 55s.'

Now for Session 4, A = CSS + 6" per 100m.

If my CSS is indeed 1'40", does that mean a 50m cycle time of 53" or 56" ?

Same question goes for Sessions 2-3-5-6.

Thanks.

Kyle Wheeler

Postby Kyle Wheeler » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Hi all,

My name is Kyle, from West Wales. I swam as a youngster but recently got back into swimming through Triathlon. Taking time to develop all aspects of my swimming. Swim Smooth has given me some useful tips that have really paid off.

Cheers

Beth Baumgarten

Postby Beth Baumgarten » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi, I'm Beth Baumgarten in Herndon, Virginia. I'm a triathlon coach, masters swim coach, and running coach. Swimming tends to be the biggest limiter for many multi-sport endurance athletes. I coach my own swim classes as well as masters groups, and I do swim analysis for clients, including video if they wish. I love finding new ways to help them become more efficient (freestyle mainly).

onejahoh

Postby onejahoh » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:17 pm

hi
one here swim coach former swimmer
nice to have a forum we can interact and share ideas
cheers!

jwlallen

Postby jwlallen » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi all,

34 years old and been swimming a couple of months. After flailing around on my own a lot I finally bought the book last week. Had my first session this afternoon and i swear just understanding the stroke a little better (specifically the problems caused by crossover and catch position) has made life a LOT easier. I cant test it out properly as its half term so my pool is shortened to 17m instead of the 25 I usually swim. Definitely didnt feel like i was pushing so hard to keep myself moving though. We'll see :D

healthystuff

Postby healthystuff » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:54 am

Hi Guys!

I'm Debbie. I am so excited to be part of this community. I am looking forward to meet new friends and of course, to get insightful stories and experiences from you.

Till next time.

Starfish

Postby Starfish » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:49 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Cheryl, and I'm new to the forum!
I discovered Swim Smooth this year, having treated myself to the book, and it all makes sense :idea: ; all I have to do is put it into practice... Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a very good mind-body connection, so what I THINK I'm doing, and what I'm ACTUALLY doing appear to be at odds.
I'm 49, have been swimming virtually all my life, and am agonizingly close to cracking the 30 minute mile, both in the pool and open water - but there it stays. I'm pretty much a typical Arnette - although without the talent in other sports :lol: ; although I did compete very successfully as a Professional natural (i.e. lifetime drug-free) bodybuilder until three years ago.
Whilst I never had the confidence to join a swimming club, I've just joined the local Tri club for swim training only (knackered back = no running; don't like cycling), which I sometimes enjoy (when I do well...) and sometimes don't (when I do rubbish). I've just about got to grips with bilateral breathing, although there were times when I felt like giving it up as a bad job - but I made myself work at it, if only to prove that I could.
I've got three open water challenges lined up next year - the Great North Swim 1 mile (I actually won my entry to this :D !), the Great Scottish Swim (2 miles), and the ChillSwim Coniston Length of Lake swim (5.25 miles), so I'm looking forward to those, and keep dreaming about swimming events :o .
I just want to improve my speed by improving my technique...
So, hello everybody; I'm looking forward to meeting you :P

vasyaparish

Postby vasyaparish » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi everyone, I'm George.

I'm new to swimming and have been practicing for only a half a year.
My wife got me a Swim Smooth book and from that moment I realised how fun and exciting swimming can actually be.
I'm looking forward to building a solid freestyle technique and taking part in events like Bosphorus race in summer 2015.
Actually struggling a bit to determine my Swim Type, it seems to be Bambino, but I'm not completely sure and there's no one to help with that.
Anyways, I'm trying to put all Swim Smooth advice and knowledge to use and do my best to improve my swimming.

Glad to join the Smoothest community in the world!

Cheers!

Higgsy

Postby Higgsy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:57 pm

hi Guys & Girls

My name is Peter i am just this side of 50 Runner, Cyclist & martial artist I live in the uk , non swimmer who has 9 months to learn to swim as just signed up for my 1st Half Iron man, friends told me about this site, so hope to get loads of info to help me in my mammoth task

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Higgsy wrote:hi Guys & Girls

My name is Peter i am just this side of 50 Runner, Cyclist & martial artist I live in the uk , non swimmer who has 9 months to learn to swim as just signed up for my 1st Half Iron man, friends told me about this site, so hope to get loads of info to help me in my mammoth task

Hi Higgsy

That is indeed a mammoth task! Get swimming at least three times a week from now if you can. You've got a long road ahead.

Have fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Higgsy

Postby Higgsy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks
I like a challenge, what would be your most usefull piece of information for me to get me on my way to becoming a strong swimmer in a short space of time

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:34 pm

Higgsy wrote:Thanks
I like a challenge, what would be your most usefull piece of information for me to get me on my way to becoming a strong swimmer in a short space of time

Get a video analysis done and join a squad if you can. Both will help you develop quicker rather than trying to do it alone in such a short time (on top of bike and run training!).
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Ian Bracken

Postby Ian Bracken » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Adam Young wrote:Welcome to the Swim Smooth forum - why not quickly introduce yourself and say hi?
Hello?
I swim 6 days a week in a 25m pool. I have done 2 sprint tri's where I had big troubles with the crawl which is now much better in that I do between 30 lengths and 50 crawl. I really struggle to do many lengths non stop. I have broken a minute for 50 metres many times but not many thereafter. The quiestion is do I need the beginner or intermediate training plan? How can I go further non stop???!! Thanks Ian

cvokaty

Postby cvokaty » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:27 am

Hi My name is Chris and I am doing my first Ironman next October in Louisville. I am 48 and never learned to swim as a child so just recently have been working on my swimming and overcoming some fear of the water. While a really strong runner and improving cyclists, I am frustrated with my swim progress. I am around 2:10 per 100 on a consistent basis and dying for help to get faster and more efficient. I am hoping this is the place to make that happen!

Sandii Meade

Postby Sandii Meade » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:51 am

Hi I'm Sandii and I'm an Austswim instructor and assistant coach who is looking to help improve the way my students and squads swim. I find sometimes someone else :) s words help the penny drop with certain students so I'm here looking for those words and any techniques that can help them be better swimmers.

angelinamike

Postby angelinamike » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:31 pm

Hi friends, I am Angelina Mike and a swimming lover and find each and every help if required.

Merle Talviste

Postby Merle Talviste » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi All

My name is Merle. Swimming and sports have been always my passion and part of my everyday life.
I am doing triathlon on a quite serious level and I am always looking ways how to improve myself.
Swimming technique is one of them . I love to read about it and at the same time try it out in the practice.

I am exited to be part of this great forum.
Cheers

Waterlogged

Postby Waterlogged » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:26 am

Hi. My name is Gary and I live in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico, but I'm from Seattle.
Adam Young wrote:Welcome to the Swim Smooth forum - why not quickly introduce yourself and say hi?

Waterlogged

Postby Waterlogged » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:31 am

Waterlogged wrote:Hi. My name is Gary and I live in Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico, but I'm from Seattle.

My problem is that when I swim freestyle I don't seem to have much power in my legs. I have a condition called spondylythesis in my back, L2-L3.

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:05 am

Hi "Waterlogged"!

I have problems with the lumbar area of my spine , so was interested in your comment : -

Waterlogged wrote: My problem is that when I swim freestyle I don't seem to have much power in my legs. I have a condition called spondylythesis in my back, L2-L3.

Damaged a lumbar disc in my mid 30s and there is a definite tilt to my hip cradle now, and problems with osteoarthritis exacerbate that lower back problem now that I am older (78). There is such weakness/pain there, that I cannot for more than a few seconds, lean forwards while standing and peering at a map spread on a table , or kneel and lean forwards when grooming my little Cairn Terrier laid on his side.

Despite that, I can still when swimming freestyle get some motion forwards from my flutter kick. My ankles are inflexible, so I have to make sure my kick is quite shallow if kicking with straight legs - so that the feet, pointing more downwards than backwards, don't "hook" water forwards causing me to go backwards! Kicking with straight, or almost straight, legs if you have spinal problems may be a bit painful.

I found that it was possible to get a bit more movement from the flutter kick, by adopting a version of kicking that fly swimmers use (although they, of course, do it with both legs together). This entails kicking not with straight legs, but allowing a bit more knee bend than SS would approve of! The idea basically is to to get a bit of undulation into the leg action and use the feet maybe a bit more like paddles, but with the feet moving up/down over a greater range than kicking with almost straight legs allows. Kicking deeply is counter-productive because it adds to drag, but by introducing an undulating element to the kick, the wave action that "sets up" can help counter that drag. In alternating leg kicking action with each leg (i.e as normal, one leg moving up while the other is moving down) - throw the thigh forward through say 20-30 degrees, with the knee joint completely relaxed allowing the lower leg/foot to trail behind, a bit higher up near the surface, then drive the thigh back up to the surface while simultaneously strongly flicking the lower leg/foot downwards. I.e. the thigh is moving up while lower leg is moving down - out of phase action of adjacent body parts = undulation! As the thigh comes up to the surface the knee is straightened by the action of the lower leg/foot flicking down - which is exactly correct for the upbeat of a flutter kick - the leg must return to the surface straight, so that there is no "curl-back" of the lower leg to act against the direction of motion.

I think if you try this kicking style, it will not exert so much effort involving the muscles/ligaments surrounding the vertebrae, as straight leg kicking might do!

Bye / Don

Return to “Talk Swimming!”