Introductions - Say Hello

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
Paul Newsome

Re: Introductions - Say Hello

Postby Paul Newsome » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:13 pm

Nat the rat aka nuts wrote:And i need to work on my pacing and tumble turns/

CU
the Rat :)

Welcome Nat - funnily enough we have had a big request for some tumble turn practice so will definitely be doing this very soon!

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

neonhelm

Postby neonhelm » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:57 pm

Hi,

I'm Bjoern from Germany. Currently based in a small town near Cologne. I purchased the Swimsmooth-DVD Set nearly half a decade ago and it brought me quite forward.

Over the last year I developed to our clubs 'Triathlon swim coach', as I do like swimming and teaching and nobody else was there to do the job. Not that I'm even a good swimmer but I'm trying to do my best to convey my love to the water to our Triathletes.

Only problem is: Who's teaching me know...? :D

So I'm on both sides, trying to improve my swimming and my coaching skills. ;)

CU
bjoern
One week without training makes one weak.

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:01 pm

neonhelm wrote:Only problem is: Who's teaching me know...? :D

Welcome Bjoern

Have you checked out the Swim Smooth Coaches Network at http://www.swimsmooth.com/network - this could be just what you're looking for! Let us know.

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

SarahL

Postby SarahL » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Hello, I'm new!

You'll probably all hate me for this, but I'm an injured runner! I have run 3 marathons, my PB being 3.35 in Paris last year. I was training for the Berlin marathon in September and I've only gone and got a stress fracture on my left tibia, which puts me well and truly OUT.

I sprained my other ankle and then cycled Lands End John O Groats, so ended up out of running for 6 weeks, and then ploughed straight back into it - too much mileage too soon. And now I'm paying the price!

Luckily, I really like swimming! I swam from about the age of 2-12 when I was like a fish! Made it to the National Finals in backstroke although didn't pace. Then senior school, university, boys, booze and work came along!

Finally I realised that exercise was actually fun! Ditched all of that and started running. But since I've not been running I've got back into the pool and realised HOW MUCH I LOVE IT and how much I've missed it over the past 20 years!

I slipped back in the pool and realised I must keep this up. I've been to the local lake 4 times now (scary!!) for some open water swimming and back into the pool. Managed 1600mtrs in 34 minutes and since then I've started researching.

I found your most awesome website a few days ago and haven't stopped looking at MrSmooth! Studying him reduced my 100mts time from 2.00 to 1.39 in ONE SESSION!

So now I'm lapping it up! I've ordered your DVD and can't wait to get it, watch it, and then swim it! :)

Thank you for such a great site, I've told all my friends. I hope I make some new ones on here and will learn a lot from all your collective expertese.

Sorry for such a long post! lol! :)

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:49 pm

SarahL wrote:Hello, I'm new!

You'll probably all hate me for this, but I'm an injured runner! I have run 3 marathons, my PB being 3.35 in Paris last year. I was training for the Berlin marathon in September and I've only gone and got a stress fracture on my left tibia, which puts me well and truly OUT.

Hi Sarah

Firstly, welcome to the site and thanks for the referrals - thats very much appreciated!

Secondly, we won't hate you for being a runner - most of us are too! ;) I'm personally just getting over an achilles tendonitis issue so I can sympathize with how much of a pain that can be.

Thirdly, have you checked out our article on kicking for freestyle: http://www.swimsmooth.com/kick.html The bit about ankle flexibility might well be appropriate for you given your running background. Then again though, girls are usually LOADS better than guys at kicking!!! :)

Hope you continue to find the site useful! Look forward to seeing you improve further over the coming months.

Cheers

Paul

P.S Your DVD is in the post and with any luck you should receive it today or tomorrow if you haven't already.

raspyni

Postby raspyni » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:56 am

Barry Friedman from Grass Valley, CA. Thanks for this very cool new tool. I thought about Mr. Smooth the whole way across our morning lake swim on Tuesday and will do so again. Very powerful the way I can see him from all different angles.

Our lake swim is 1.6 miles round trip and by the end I have some stiffness right above my tailbone. I can tell from Mr. Smooth that I am cranking my head up too much and end up shaped like a banana, instead of the pencil I see 'him' doing :)

Thanks for this tool and this forum. I'm really looking forward to getting better. 10/10/09 is my 5-year swimming anniversary and I am 47 years old. One of the guys in our masters club told me, "Barry, you learned as an adult... you'll always have an accent". Maybe Mr. Smooth can help me sound a bit more like a native.

Barry

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:37 am

raspyni wrote:One of the guys in our masters club told me, "Barry, you learned as an adult... you'll always have an accent". Maybe Mr. Smooth can help me sound a bit more like a native.

Barry

I love it!!! Thanks Barry and welcome to the forum - this made me grin from ear to ear on this blustery Friday afternoon over here in "sunny" Perth - thanks for your thoughts. Keep us posted with your progress!

Cheers

Paul

SarahL

Postby SarahL » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Erm, me again! ;) Being a newbie, how do I add a photo to my profile please? Ta! :)

SherryB

Postby SherryB » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Hi - I just joined on the recommendation of a friend (the marathon runner with the fractured ankle). I'm a beginner at swimming. I'm a cyclist at heart and took up running when I was just not finding enough time to train to race for cycling (two young children). In May I entered my first triathlon in September as a way to motivate myself to learn to swim. In my first swimming lesson back in May, the instructor taught me more in 30 minutes than I'd learnt the past 30 years. It was like an epiphany. I didn't stop bouncing for days. I had another lesson, and then stopped going for a couple of months because of family 'stuff' going on and then I was ill. I've started again this week - and realising that EEEEK! although I love swimming, I'm not very good at it (yet) and it's only five weeks until the triathlon. My goal is to not drown, and not be last out of the pool.

Sherry

SarahL

Postby SarahL » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:40 pm

SherryB wrote:Hi - I just joined on the recommendation of a friend (the marathon runner with the fractured ankle). I'm a beginner at swimming. I'm a cyclist at heart and took up running when I was just not finding enough time to train to race for cycling (two young children). In May I entered my first triathlon in September as a way to motivate myself to learn to swim. In my first swimming lesson back in May, the instructor taught me more in 30 minutes than I'd learnt the past 30 years. It was like an epiphany. I didn't stop bouncing for days. I had another lesson, and then stopped going for a couple of months because of family 'stuff' going on and then I was ill. I've started again this week - and realising that EEEEK! although I love swimming, I'm not very good at it (yet) and it's only five weeks until the triathlon. My goal is to not drown, and not be last out of the pool.

Sherry

Hey Sherry, welcome! :) I think you'll be super at your triathlon - especially with all the helpful advice in this site and this forum :)

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:04 am

SherryB wrote:Hi - I just joined on the recommendation of a friend (the marathon runner with the fractured ankle). I'm a beginner at swimming. I'm a cyclist at heart and took up running when I was just not finding enough time to train to race for cycling (two young children). In May I entered my first triathlon in September as a way to motivate myself to learn to swim. In my first swimming lesson back in May, the instructor taught me more in 30 minutes than I'd learnt the past 30 years. It was like an epiphany. I didn't stop bouncing for days. I had another lesson, and then stopped going for a couple of months because of family 'stuff' going on and then I was ill. I've started again this week - and realising that EEEEK! although I love swimming, I'm not very good at it (yet) and it's only five weeks until the triathlon. My goal is to not drown, and not be last out of the pool.

Sherry
Hi Sherry,

Welcome to Swim Smooth!

I hope you've seen this article already, but in case you've missed it: http://www.swimsmooth.com/beginnertips.php
Take a good look round the beginners section - there's loads more tips to help get you swimming smoothly and easily.

Two quick tips from me:

1) Blow those bubbles! - as outlined in the beginner articles, make sure you are exhaling in the water, it's easy to hold your breath when you're a little tense and that will only make you more tense. Exhale and relax, just like they do in yoga.

2) Adopt a positive approach to your swimming. I mean this both mentally and physically. Mentally: even if it's a little bit of a struggle sometimes, enjoy your pooltime, enjoy the experiences and environment - a real break from the routine. Physically: it's very common to see new swimmers be a bit timid with the water - particularly women. You don't have to be - get a positive stroke action going, just like Mr Smooth, and don't worry about pulling the water backwards to the wall behind you quite hard - it won't hurt it! ;)

Let us know how you get on, how long to your race?

Cheers, Adam

Aimsmooth

Postby Aimsmooth » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:56 am

Paul,
my training consists of one long swim, one intense swim (intervals) and one concentrating on technique via drills (with help from Swimsmooth DVD). Currently average 1400m per swim and working up to 2200m average closer to next HI in ten weeks or so. At any one time I always have 3 focal points to concentrate on. At the moment these are: body roll; head position; hip position. I'll call on these (only one at a time of course) during training maybe for a couple of laps then switch to another. As I become more proficient at any skill I'll drop that from the current 3 and introduce another (Mr Smooth has given me a few ideas which I wouldn't have thought of otherwise).
This approach has served me well (for my purposes) but I have definitely hit a plateau but I'm positive that I'll improve otherwise I'll wait till after the HI and concentrate on my swimming more.
cheers,
Aimsmooth.

Alan Ward

Postby Alan Ward » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi Guys I'm Alan Ward..

I currently coach the swimming session for my club NorthDevonTri and have done so for the past couple of years, I have previously coached clubs at university as well. I'm here to keep myself honest and learning, it can be very easy to sit back and think you know a lot and I hope that this and the coaches forum will bring some challenges.

I also coach a Junior Aquathlon (Primary Age!) club and some school athletics regularly as well as my main job as a Swimming Teacher.

I've also must confess that just like everybody else I'm always on the look out for ways to improve my own swimming, open water seems to have gone out of window this year! I competed in my first tri in 2005 and started as an average swimmer, sadly this was my strongest discipline! :roll:

nephetssolid

Postby nephetssolid » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:31 am

HI! :) im stephen from philippines... im happy to join this forum in the net... most especially about swimming... thanks for this! ;)

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:54 am

Hi Alan, welcome to our little corner of the internet. The coaches forum is going to be great I'm sure - can't wait to get it flying!

Hi Stephen, welcome to Swim Smooth! Let us know how your swimming's going and if you have any questions, here's the place!

Cheers, Adam

SherryB

Postby SherryB » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks for the welcome Adam - and thanks for the tips too. I haven't been to the pool for four days because I've been away, and I'm missing it! And it's 32 days 7 hours 42 minutes to race day for me. My last lesson on Friday lunchtime was amazing and I suddenly started to "get" lots of the technique, well "get" as in understood it, not necessarily being able to do it, but I can tell when I'm not doing it right. As for exhaling, that's one bit I do seem to be able to do ... and I start as soon as I put my head under, at least I think so.

rob2681

Postby rob2681 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi, I'm Rob from the US. Thanks so much for this site. I make it a point to look at Mr. Smooth each day at work. I'm hoping it'll stick in my head and improve my stroke mechanics.

I love triathlon, but struggle mightily w/ the swim leg. My last race was an Olympic distance and my swim pace was 2:23/100 yd. I guess you can say I've got a lot of room for improvement. What is baffling though is that I was easily able to hold 1:51/100 yd pacing for my latest 300 yd time trial in the pool.

So far I'm gotten a lot of benefit from your tip of continuously exhaling while underwater. It feels like I don't tire as readily using that technique. Over time I'll be focusing on the other tips and attempting to integrate them into my stroke.

Yours in swimming,
Rob

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:02 pm

rob2681 wrote:I love triathlon, but struggle mightily w/ the swim leg. My last race was an Olympic distance and my swim pace was 2:23/100 yd. I guess you can say I've got a lot of room for improvement. What is baffling though is that I was easily able to hold 1:51/100 yd pacing for my latest 300 yd time trial in the pool.

Welcome Rob!

That bike set-up looks pretty mean in your avatar - what bike is it? Very nice!

These two events (the race and the Time Trial), how far apart were they and which came first? Have you checked out some of our open water tips which might save you some time in the open water http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon.html

Have you got a coach over there in the US whom you can work with and maybe get yourself video recording for analysis?

Cheers

Paul

SarahL

Postby SarahL » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:34 am

Nic Holmes wrote:Hi Everyone - My name's Nic I swim with Paul's super swim squad here in Perth! Paul/Adam this is a fantastic site! I really like how you can see the whole body rotation (hips and shoulders) happening on Mr Smooth - this is difficult to see when watching real life swimmers - really helped me to work on this in my stroke in the tough set we had this morning! Thanks guys! Nic

Hello Nic :) Thanks for posting this - you just made me go look at Mr Smooth again! There's so much to look at! I was really looking to see how much the arm bent and how close it gets to the body on the pull. You're lucky you get to train with Paul and Adam! Do pop into the "How was your swim today" thread and let us know what swimming you've been doing! Or even just for a chat! :)
Marathon runner & solo LEJOG cyclist recovering from stress fracture to tibia. Running is just starting to come back...
I can manage 20 mins now! Swimming is still very much in vogue, esp as Windsor Tri is now entered!

lametrano

Postby lametrano » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:45 am

Hello,

My name is Liza (like in Liza Minelli) and I am a new swimmer and sprint Triathlete! I live in the US. I am predominantly a runner but decided to try my hand at short distance triathlons this summer. I have done 3, but failed the swim trials twice, the first one and the third one. I did complete the 2nd triathlon swim trial (400 yds).

I am excited to be on this website and become more proficient at swimming and gain support to help lessen the fear I have of open water swimming.

Liza :D
Liza
Engaging, Energetic, and Fun

Return to “Talk Swimming!”