Introductions - Say Hello

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
Raytaupedi

Re: Introductions - Say Hello

Postby Raytaupedi » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:33 am

My name is Kenny
I am a 57 y.o male from Massachusetts.
I have enjoyed swimming for most of my adult life but have never swam competitively or had any real coaching since I was in 3rd grade. I recently occurred to me that I would enjoy my swimming workouts more if I finally learned to swim with proper technique. I am currently reading your book and trying to imitate "Mr. Smooth" and feel I have made a lot of progress in only a couple of weeks
Thanks for all your help

millertimegooney

Postby millertimegooney » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:31 pm

Hello from Gremany!!!!!!

love to swim everyday.

good forum here.

SprocketWaffle

Postby SprocketWaffle » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:37 pm

Hello all - my first post on here!

To say that I'm a new swimmer is an understatement! I decided to make the move to full Triathlon this year and then realised that I really should get to know what I'm doing in the water!! Doh!

I've been swimming seriously since February and my technique has really come along. I also genuinely love swimming now (even though I'm not very good at it). I did my first Open Water swim at the weekend - and that's added a whole new dimension.

My big problem is the kick; it's far too frantic. If I swim with a Pull Buoy, it's fine - similarly with a wetsuit. But, freestyle in the pool, however hard I try, my legs flap around frantically, trying to keep me balanced - and I know it's burning tons of energy.

Any tips you more experienced folks could give me would be greatly appreciated. I bought some fins at lunchtime and really looking forward to trying them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Ian.

shmileblik

Postby shmileblik » Mon May 05, 2014 9:17 am

Hi, I'm blik
I'm a 33 olded girl from France and a quite low intermediate swimmer. I'm trying to swim with technique thanks to swimsmooth book and website (Mr Smooth is my heroe!). I have made a lot of progress these last weeks but I'm still too slow (shame on me, I swim only 2'10"/100m ...yes there is no mistake I think I'm one of the slowest swimmer in the water :D !) It means that my technique is one of the worst too :roll:
Hope I could a day conquer my first triathlon (without drowning in the water)
Thanks all for your help!
Have a nice day!
bliK

sarah_carruthers

Postby sarah_carruthers » Thu May 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Hi!

My name is Sarah and I am a former competitive swimmer in the UK. I have previously swam at national level, travelling all over the country. Although I know longer swim myself, I have a great passion for teaching and coaching swimming to beginners as well as the more experienced. I have volunteered at my local swimming club, coaching children between the ages of 7-10 and have worked in a small swim school teaching children from as young as 3 years old. From this website, I hope to enhance my knowledge of swimming techniques that I can use to help swimmers meet their goals.

Tatti

Postby Tatti » Sat May 10, 2014 10:36 am

Hi!
I love my swimming, have already used some techniques to great effect, trying to train more efficiently whilst avoiding a shoulder problem and have got a bit quicker (at least in the pool anyway). I don't do any drills at all I just get in and swim because I love it and drills may kill my enjoyment...but I have improved. I don't think I really fit directly into one of the categories although I have some similarities with both gliders and swingers (except the speed on the latter). I am sure I could do better but not sure where to go next. I have been swimming the Great Scottish and London swims for a few years now, the mile and this year I'm doing the 2 mile in Scotland and the Human race in the Thames from Hampton Court. Wish me luck!

NiceGuyBobby

Postby NiceGuyBobby » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:02 am

Hello From New Jersey USA.
My name is Bobby. I'm 50 years old and I took up swimming aprox 24 months ago. I was in a bad accident and they had to lower me in the pool from my wheelchair for therapy (I've got so much steel and screws in me it's a wonder I don't sink right to the bottom). I started reading Swim Smooth's website right at my start and it was a big help but now I've hit a wall. I'm stuck at aprox 2:08 per 100m at distance of 3000M and can't seem to get past it. Whether I'm at 45 SPM or 50 SPM the pace is about the same. I joined Masters last year and had some coaches look at my stroke but their advice is minimal as their workouts are fairly structured and because of my injuries I can only swim freestyle. I can swim at 1:40 per 100M when doing splits but I run out of gas pretty fast. I'm swimming 4 times a week for a total of aprox 12,000M . I want to push up to 4000M sessions but I don't want to fall into the trap of "garbage yardage". My goal is 1:30 Per 100M pace at distance but it seems way out of reach at this point. I own a wetronome and it has got me to where I am now but after 54 SPM my stroke seems to falls apart. Where do I go from here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life." Lance Armstrong to Peter LeFleur

JoELMaN

Postby JoELMaN » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:18 am

Hi all,
My name is Joel. I am 28 years old and from Newcastle, NSW, Australia.
I started swimming with a mate of mine a bit under 2 years ago, purely for fitness. But over the last year or so the passion has grown as I got more and more intrigued by the technique side of things. Realising swimming fast has very little to do with strength.

As a child I absolutely hated water, and up until recently the smell of walking into an indoor chlorine pool sent shivers down my spine as it reminded me of swimming lessons as a child. Now it excites me, and my life is based heavily around the water with spearfishing/freediving, surfing and boating.

I have a goal to comfortably swim 1500m in 22.5mins by the end of the year, currently I do it in 25. Learning to tumble turn is also on the agenda. Hopefully with the help of this forum I will be able to achieve this. I will be sure to post some video footage of my swimming shortly.

Cheers
Joel

neilfholland

Postby neilfholland » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 am

Hi,

My name is Neil, I’m 41 and live in South East London, UK.

Having learned to swim as a kid and made a trip to the pool for a slow mile of breast stroke every couple of years since (or on holiday with the kids) I have not been the most active swimmer!

Have been running and cycling for over a decade so came into it with a reasonable level of cardio vascular fitness but big, sinky legs.

Decided over the autumn of 2013 that I’d do a triathlon at some point in 2014 and mentally decided to get some swimming lessons once I had built up some base swimming fitness and at least learned to swim freestyle in some form. So I bought Swim Smooth following excellent recommendations on Amazon and started swimming 3 times per week at the beginning of January.

Have done ten miles per month since and have seen my times fall consistently to where I can do a mile in c. 33 mins

Started intervals last week and despite a poor 400m TT during CSS calcs I think my CSS is around 1:55 / 100.

Will keep going with these and I hope to do the 1,500 swim in my first Tri in 4 weeks in under 30. Have another in Sept and with more quality training under my belt by then would hope to get to something under 29.

Still keen to do swimming lessons but very difficult to fit in around business travel at present.

Thanks for the book, this forum and Mr Smooth.

Cheers

Neil

salman

Postby salman » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi, I am Salman !

I really loving swimming ... Hope to get some cool tips from here!

davidJeremiah

Postby davidJeremiah » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:53 am

Hello everyone, administrators, founders and moderators many thanks by this open door for us all. I love swimming. No doubt it is a great exercise. Swimming builds your muscles less than other aerobic exercises.
I am really excited to finally join the swim smooth forums and can't wait to become an active member of the forums!

Have a nice day!!!
!*!*!*!*!*!Jeremiah!*!*!*!*!*!
!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!*!

jjefferjo

Postby jjefferjo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:52 pm

Hello
JJ here I have just started lessons so I am an adult learner - beginning this process and excited to be here

aisha

Postby aisha » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:25 am

Hello everyone!

xtextedx

Postby xtextedx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:33 am

hi
find great <a href="www.slixaustralia.com"> girls swimwear</a>

EmmaJo McConnellogue

Postby EmmaJo McConnellogue » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:42 am

Hi!

I'm Emma-Jo, I am a former competitive swimmer turned competitive triathlete, I'm looking forward to getting involved with the swim smooth community which is already an amazing one! Can't wait to find out new things, other peoples views and share my own!

377hiway

Postby 377hiway » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:08 am

hello swimsmooth im a retierd tri athlete (hip replacement very soon) so swiming is going to be my choice of sports, would be advanced with a 1.22sec css which i started 8weeks ago and am slowly turning myself into deisel!! a huge change for me were once 30x100 on the 2min was about all i could do,so now the red mist is almost like a drug in a good way thanks paul,adam and the swimsmooth site hiway

amyb007

Postby amyb007 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Greetings,

My name is Amy, and I am an adult beginner. My goal is to compete in a triathlon in a few years, but I'm still very nervous in the water. After numerous lessons, I still have a hard time floating, rotating, and breathing, but I am determined to get over my fear of the water. I found this site after a Google search seeking answers for my swimming issues. I look forward to being part of the Swim Smooth community, and gaining valuable knowledge from you all!

david62

Postby david62 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi My name is David I am 62 and I need to improve my swimming.
In six weeks I have gone from not being able to swim 50m to swimming 500m.
Need to be able to swim 1500m open water.
teaching myself off You tube videos hoping to get fit enough to join a Tri club in oct.
Must add I was a couch potatoe up to six weeks ago. Unfit overweight and gone to seed.
So fitness is a problem as well as technique being a problem.
Looking to benefit from this forum and have just got my Finis Tempo Trainer Pro now all I have to do is get fit enough and establish some semblance of a correct swim technique so I can use this gadget. :!:

Geemy

Postby Geemy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:11 am

Hi all,

I'm brand new to this site which already in the past few weeks I have found invaluable! I had an accident about 5 months ago (fracture dislocation of patella, torn vastus medialis and medial patellofemoral ligament). After the initial intensive physio got me going again I decided to take up swimming again as my regular form of exercise (easier on my knee) and as part of my physio.

I haven't swam regularly since I was at school really and all my adult life swam breast stroke but decided to stay away from that (from a knee point of view) and decided to learn free style properly. This initially led to much amusement just trying it myself but then I found this site with Some awesome tips and drills! I am definitely going to try some adult lessons as well. Analysing my last session myself I think I have a tendency to drop my lead arm when i breathe, making my breathing harder, so am looking forward to tips and suggestions on how to improve and get away from this bambino error!

I think my current fitness level is definitely a limiting factor. Can swim around 700m per session at the moment (a mile used to be a breeze when i was a kid :? ) but have certainly noticed an improvement in my general fitness and have lost weight (8.9kg or 19lb 9oz since April). Hoping all that will help!?

Ill try and find the swim type section.
Loving this site!
Gemma

KirstenR

Postby KirstenR » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am Kirsten Read. I live in Maine and I am a competitive pool and open water swimmer who is looking to this site for personal improvement and help with my new Coaching business.

I hope to be able to coach swimmers and triathletes in the New England area to become more relaxed, more efficient and faster in the water -- and to have more fun!

I believe that everyone, at every level, can improve. The reason I like Swim Smooth is that it doesn't treat everyone the same -- it recognizes that people have different styles and personalities. To be a good coach I think you have to take this into account and customize your coaching.

I look forward to getting to know you all better!

Kirsten

Return to “Talk Swimming!”