wetsuit - neck rash

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
tibbus

wetsuit - neck rash

Postby tibbus » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi,

I just bought a wet suit, I tried it first time and everything was alright, no rashes.
When I tried it second time, after the swimming I had a rash on my neck.

It took 2 weeks to completely heal and now I will go again with it. I'm just wondering if anyone has an idea what caused the rash.
I probably have only 2 things that were different between sessions : the neck zipper was too tight or too loose ?

What do you think ? too tight or too loose ?
Last edited by tibbus on Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoraTheExplorer

Re: wetsuit - neck rash

Postby DoraTheExplorer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:19 am

It's just the wetsuit rubbing on your neck causing it, I get it from my swim suit too, at the base of my neck. Have you tried using a silicon based roll on gel\goo? It means your wetsuit can glide over your skin rather than sticking to it and irritating it.

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:34 pm

A lot of people have trouble with this. Conservative option: use Body Glide or similar non-oil lubricant. Other options: sudocrem, bepanthen, vaseline (not recommended by wetsuit manufacturers because they contain petroleum and can degrade neoprene. However, some people swear by them). Other options: rash vest or cyclist's buff.

Also, pay attention to your head position. Unless in very wavy water, you should be able to sight with "crocodile eyes", i.e. just about the water, rather than craning your head right up.

Hope that helps.
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

EHB

Postby EHB » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Don't repeat my mistake. When I first started with a wetsuit I was closing the neck part wrong. Obviously couldn't see what I was doing.

I guess it varies with wetsuits. I got neck rash for months before I happened to look at the closing mechanism when it was in the floor and realise I had imagined it wrong.

Before trying anything else just get someone to have a look & check it is ok.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”