Nightcrawler's 2017 Season

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
nightcrawler

Re: Nightcrawler's 2017 Season

Postby nightcrawler » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:37 am

23.11.2016 - LCM - Evening Session - 4000m
Warm up(with speedo's biofuse short fins):
400 broken arrow drill with 6-1-6 format
400 Shoulder tap drill with 6-1-6- format
400 finger trail with 6-3-6 format

Set:
4x{
100 IM with paddles int:2'
100 max free int:2'
100 max free int:2'
100 easy
}

Cool Down:
400 easy

Notes: I cought up by club mate (with whom we took lesson from Serkan). I obeyed his workout, in 100m max repetitions I came around 1:16 which means "terrible". I dont know why he is doing IMs among??? For USRPT(which has scientifically proven) mixing the sets is useless. Although my still friend defends their benefits for me it is just a rubbish classical training session that had done 20 years ago that has never taken me one step further.

In the above session in all sets, I focued on balanced technique with continuous rolling arms and rhythmical kicking, that was the goal of the session for me. I am looking forward to develop my technique asap and do my USRPT sets again. For technical development I mean that less SPL with the same stoke rate, such easy.

When I got home at 21:00 in the evening I rewatched SS's master class dvd for the 10th time, side kick+6-1-6+6-3-6 drills hope refine my technique again as they did 4 years ago. If you have watched the DVD, you might remember the YTWL dry land exercise which is very useful for longer stroke development, can you imagine I cant do the "L" position, my scapula has no proper flexibility it is like a plank :D

Today I designed an "everyday-can-be-done" workout framework for myself including all aspects, technic+speed+fexibility, here you may find it below:

Nightcrawler's Workout Framework:

Dryland exercise before the session:
30 jumping jacks + 30 front+back arm rolls

WarmUp(Technique Development):
600m the following drills will be done continuously
{
100m side kick drill
100m 6-1-6 broken arrow drill
100m 6-3-6 shoulder tap drill
100m sculling #1-2-3 drill
100m doggy paddle drill
100m unco drill
}

Set1(Speed Development):
16~24x100m free, minimum SPL with same SR (R:10" or int:100")

Set2(Flexility Development):
16~24x25m medley, push for minimum SPL regardless of SR (R:10" or int:30")

CoolDown:
200 worst stroke, easy pace

Dryland exercise after the session:
30 jumping jacks + 30 front+back arm rolls

Note: Speed and Flexibility sets can be done by 10 seconds rest and by a constant interval period succeedingly every other day.
Last edited by nightcrawler on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Once something goes into motion, it stays in motion, the process itself feeds the fire!
Ref: http://self-inspiration.com/video/uncomfortable-vs-exhaustion

s.sciame

Postby s.sciame » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:18 am

nightcrawler wrote:you might remember the YTWL dry land exercise which is very useful for longer stroke development

it's a great posture exercise, I do it whenever I can (at office too) as a reset from the typical hunched posture we may assume sitting all day in front of a computer.

Salvo
Other SS forum members and I are also on swim.palstani.com

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:27 am

Hi Salvatore,
What do you think about my "everyday-can-be-done" workout framework? I am gonna start doing this today...

Nightcrawler's Workout Framework:

- 30 jumping jacks
- 30 front+back arm rolls

- 100m side kick drill
- 100m 6-1-6 broken arrow drill
- 100m 6-3-6 shoulder tap drill
- 100m sculling #1-2-3 drill
- 100m doggy paddle drill
- 100m unco drill

Set1(Speed Development):
- 16~24x100m free, minimum SPL with same SR (R:10" or int:100")

- 16~24x25m medley, push for minimum SPL regardless of SR (R:10" or int:30")

CoolDown:
- 200 worst stroke, easy pace

- 30 jumping jacks

Note:
- Speed and Flexibility sets can be done by 10 seconds rest and by a constant interval period succeedingly every other day.
Once something goes into motion, it stays in motion, the process itself feeds the fire!

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:08 am

25.11.2016 - SCM - Evening Session - 1700m

- 30 jumping jacks
- 30 plank hip dips

- 100m side kick drill
- 100m 6-1-6 broken arrow drill
- 100m 6-3-6 shoulder tap drill
- 100m sculling #1-2-3 drill
- 100m doggy paddle drill
- 100m unco drill

Set1(Speed Development):
- 8x100m free, minimum SPL with same SR (R:10")

- 8x25m medley, push for minimum SPL regardless of SR (R:10")

CoolDown:
- 100 worst stroke, easy pace

- 30 jumping jacks
- 30 plank hip dips

s.sciame

Postby s.sciame » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:08 pm

nightcrawler wrote:Hi Salvatore,
What do you think about my "everyday-can-be-done" workout framework? I am gonna start doing this today...

Hi NC, I think it's a good stroke rebuilder ;) I like to see that you're introducing warmups (either on dryland and in the pool). Especially in this part of the season I believe you could benefit very much from good warmups. As for the drills, personally I prefer alternating one length drill / one length swim to have an immediate feedback of the carry over effect of the drill into the swim.
A stroke refinement session every now and then is something we all need imho, regardless of plateaus or not. It's too easy to forget about it and just train and train to get faster. But little by little we inadvertently introduce (or reintroduce) bad habits over time and periodically need to clean them.

Keep up the good work!
Salvo
Other SS forum members and I are also on swim.palstani.com

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Actually i am thinking of redoing my ex framework which is 75-50-25m sets inluding drills among with lower SR to refine and fine tuning.

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:57 am

27.11.2016 - Morning Session - SCM - 3000m
16x75m fr int:80" SR:1.00 (avg SPL:18, avg pace:1:08)
1200m 25bf-25fr-25bk-25fr-25br-25fs
12x25m bf, fr kicking r:10"
12x25m fr int:30" SR:1.00 (avg SPL:16, avg pace:18")
notes: focused on high elbow catch and pull in freestyle.

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Some photages taken after the workout:
https://youtu.be/Zt23cL5gV_c
https://youtu.be/XsX9vAzVzD4
Can anyone recommend drill for my splash of the hand while hand exit and over push back?

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:23 pm

nightcrawler wrote:
Mike A wrote:
nightcrawler wrote:Sorry, I wrote it wrong, in the competition our times were 6:40 and 6:45.

Oh good, that makes me feel slightly less inadequate - as I work towards getting my 500m time below 9:00. :lol:

:D :D :D :D
Check SharkFM's ex post, he explained very well, it may help you to swim faster, but needs patience, consistency and discipline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKKry7F ... e=youtu.be
I believe that you can achive.
Good luck Mike.

Well I did finally swim a sub-9 min 500m last week. Just sneaked in at 8:57. Secret weapon: Tempo Trainer set to 27s (1:48/100m).
I have to say, I took a much longer rest than usual before the next 500m! Swam the next set with the beep on 28s (came in at 9:16), then ditched the beeper and swim cap (because the pool was like a warm bath, and my head was getting hot!), and did another 3x500m all around the 9:25 mark with longish gaps.
I think I'm still a long way from 5x500m on 9min. :lol:
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:52 pm

Congragulations Mike, first barrier was broken, well done! Next step can be 8:50 ;)

Nowadays I am doing my ex framework:
3000m continuous swim as:
25 buttefly - 25 free
25 backstroke - 25 free
25 breastroke - 25 free
(focus on one stroke each day, that stroke should be faster as whilst others are slower).

After this aerobic set the below USRPT set can be done for focusing on race pace:
30x25 freestyle R:15" (should be swum at 200m pace).
or
20x50 freestyle R:20" ( (should be swum at 400m pace).

Adivio

Postby Adivio » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

You should not take my opinion too seriously, but to my untrained eye your pull is too long at the push phase.
Doesn't look natural, especially the left hand.
Also on http://swim.palstani.com/ forum.

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Adivio wrote:You should not take my opinion too seriously, but to my untrained eye your pull is too long at the push phase.
Doesn't look natural, especially the left hand.

Thanks advio, unfortunately this is my all day pace approx. 15% slower than my 5k race pace with my natural stroke.
You are right, both hands exit from the water with splash, this means that over push back may cause extra effort and fatigue. Any drill suggestions to correct?

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:59 pm

You know all the drills available as a coach yourself.

If you still believe in drills,
maybe this one;
Hold your hand and forearm inline like KPN advises, making one big paddle from elbow to fingertup with a firn wrist until the arm reaches breast height,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZO738a ... E9EE9A22FB
From there, forget the wrist, totally relax the wrist, hand and fingers through the push phase. Release it like a blade falling from a tree.
If you still push too much the arm will slip more, but the hand will pivot down, not throwing water up at least.
Probably this will feel horrible if you rely on the push so much relative to the front part.
Shifting the focus a bit more to the part where you are still allowed to use your hand and wrist maybe comes more natural after a while.

If you keep pivot the hand back on purpose on the wrist so that the fingers are trailing behind the wrist at the push phase you will lift the hips up a bit at this phase.
You dont need that, but at least its the opposite of throwing water up at the rear.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:41 am

smootharnie wrote:You know all the drills available as a coach yourself.

If you still believe in drills,
maybe this one;
Hold your hand and forearm inline like KPN advises, making one big paddle from elbow to fingertup with a firn wrist until the arm reaches breast height,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZO738a ... E9EE9A22FB
From there, forget the wrist, totally relax the wrist, hand and fingers through the push phase. Release it like a blade falling from a tree.
If you still push too much the arm will slip more, but the hand will pivot down, not throwing water up at least.
Probably this will feel horrible if you rely on the push so much relative to the front part.
Shifting the focus a bit more to the part where you are still allowed to use your hand and wrist maybe comes more natural after a while.

If you keep pivot the hand back on purpose on the wrist so that the fingers are trailing behind the wrist at the push phase you will lift the hips up a bit at this phase.
You dont need that, but at least its the opposite of throwing water up at the rear.

Hi Smootharnie,

I also think that drills aint be useful for me as much as it is for the newbies.

KPN describes it very well, I had already watched that video, very clear description, especially as you summarized below:
"From there, forget the wrist, totally relax the wrist, hand and fingers through the push phase. Release it like a blade falling from a tree."

My problem is the hand exit, I unconsciously spend too much effort on push back (over push back) and this causes splashed hand exit. I think this has become concrete since my club years, my trainer were shouting as "kick and push back hard!". Changing quarter of a century aged habit really hard for me. There is a saying in Turkish language, "Tailor cannot sew up his own rip", in English it is said like "cobbler's children have no shoes". Being a coach and knowing lots of things doesnt mean that I could manage to correct myself. As Paul said there are 2 words: "cognitive dissonance", first I need to persuade myself and beat my old beliefs and behaviours...

Let's come to todays workout:
29.11.2016 - SCM - 4000m - Morning Session
3000m Complex(50bf-50fr-50bk-50fr-50br) with hand paddles (SR:1.00, total:50:12)
20x25m fs int:30" (SPL:17, SR:1.00, avg:19")
20x25m fs int:25" (SPL:18, SR:1.00, avg:20")

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:50 am

car mechanics often drive the worst maintained cars ;) (when they get older and less motivated)

Adivio

Postby Adivio » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:02 am

Any drill suggestions to correct?

I am really the last person on Earth to suggest drills to you :).
Perhaps you could try to shorten the push?
Also on http://swim.palstani.com/ forum.

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Anyone can recommend tangible solution for correcting the over push?

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:21 am

Dear Folks,

Anyway, forget about drills :D

30.11.2016 - SCM - Morning Session - 4400m
900 complex
Set#1: 12x75m crawl int:75" (avg:63", best:61", SPL:19-20)
Rcvry: 300 stroke easy
Set#2: 20x50m crawl int:50" (avg:41", best:40", SPL:19-20)
Rcvry: 300 stroke easy
Set#3: 20x25m crawl int:25" (avg:19", best:18", SPL:18-19)
Rcvry: 20x25m doggy paddle extension drill by breathing in each 3 strokes R:10"

nigt"CRAWLER" is back!

Notes:
Today I started with my complex set which is bf-fs-bk-fs-br-fr, actually had decided to do it upto 3000m, but after a while I realized that I couldnt focus on any technique and so that couldnt record the techniques on the brain. Simply, more strokes more details harder to concentrate... Suddenly, I stopped, walked around the pool and decided to turn back to my ex-framework, which usefulness was proven on me. I rushed and jumped "ONTO" the water like a mayfly, set up my tempo trainer to 70 stokes/minute and did the Set1 then Set2 and Set3. Once realized that my natural stroke is not kicking and gliding. I like to swim with swinging arms, higher SPM, and less kicking. At the end of the session I put a doggy paddle drill set as a recovery, regardless of stroke rate concentrated on lower stokes per lap(I counted 16). I think that doggy paddle drill sets at the end of the workout may contribute to:
1) better feel for the water
2) proper forward extension
3) proper rotation
4) proper catch, pull, push mechanics

Come what may, at 40 years of age doing such sessions while working in a full time job is satisfactory for me. It may improve or not, I dont care, taking pleasure, pumping seratonin is more important for me. My colleagues cant even walk 20x25m on 25 seconds :lol:

P.S: I lost 5 kilos in a month, decreased from 84kg to 79kg, I can wear my old trousers now ;)

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:57 am

Dont you think in your swinging style the effort of the bodies action is more equally devided between above water and under water actions?
When I imitate the long underwater, relaxed above water style It always feels as the power underwater and the relaxation above water are too different and out of balance.
Adding more above water throwing actions adds someting above water whichs seems to relieve the hard working underwater part a bit.

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:39 am

Each style is equally valid and has pros and cons inside it. But one should naturally suit us more than the other, needed to be identified which one works best for us. KNP's stroke technique is close to my visualization, I like throwing arm recovery, high elbow catch and pull through under the water, swinging arm recovery with gentle 6bk, also it works fine in open water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUWAZo-03u0

On the other hand, as oppsed to KNP's recovery, once a Canadian coach ("SolarEnergy") recommended me to carry a suitcase during recovery, this provides sliced and gentle hand exit from the water and preserves energy, also carrying a suitcase sometimes reduces SPL, I used to to it, your question reminded hat again, will try it again at tomorrow's session. :D

Return to “Talk Swimming!”