benefits of pushing though a brutal practice

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
Shenaram

Re: benefits of pushing though a brutal practice

Postby Shenaram » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:39 pm

Congratulations for your achievement!
You have become the man-to-beat. May be better watch your feet from now on?

i'm beginning to think those horrible days you can't wait til they are over are a precursor to jumping into a new level of fitness. can't wait for last meet ! ten years ago i'd of said 'oh i'm overtrained' and backed off and consequently i never got substantial improvements. some was technique, but some was effort.
if your joint hurts that's bad. if you feel like a slug and aren't going fast you might just be ready to break through to a new level so hang on.

That is a line one wishes to say when 15 years old. For many, saying that exact line would most certainly mean a man in a white coat rolling you back to the bedroom in a wheelchair, and relatives/children seriously discussing with the family physician whether medication should be increased or not, is not that true?
(My apology if I offended anyone.)

Anyway, sincere congratulations. You must feel really great!

Sprinter

Postby Sprinter » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:36 pm

Hi Ducky,

can you give some numbers? Always interesting to see how much one can improve.

Sprinter

Postby Sprinter » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:18 pm

Don't know whether I understand correctly what you mean: You improved your 100m time by 2 seconds, yes?
This should then be rather close to 1 min / 100m, yes?
An improvement of 2s seems a good improvement, given that your time was already quite good.

But then improving by further 5s ?? That sounds incredible ... :?

s.sciame

Postby s.sciame » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Ducky wrote:i'm beginning to think those horrible days you can't wait til they are over are a precursor to jumping into a new level of fitness.

Hey Ducky, do you usually follow training cycles like 3 weeks hard + 1 week easy to recover and adapt and get the most from the previous hard weeks (ie make the aforementioned jump into a new level of fitness happen)? Moreover, do you use periodization within a season (eg 1st 3 months build aerobic fitness, 2nd 3 months speed oriented etc)?

Salvo
Other SS forum members and I are also on swim.palstani.com

Return to “Talk Swimming!”