New device lets swimmers visually monitor pace & intervals

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
nszanto

New device lets swimmers visually monitor pace & intervals

Postby nszanto » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:56 pm

Hello Swimmers,

We just released a Kickstarter for a new device that lets swimmers visually monitor their pace & intervals. Pace...Me uses patent pending LED technology to give visual cues for real-time pace awareness, so you can adjust your pace during your workout and improve times.

We believe pacing is a learned process. It takes time, patience and the correct tools to master. Pacing does not replace attentive training, but for those who are dedicated to training, pacing is the missing link that allows you to optimize performance. Our goal is to help athletes transform their performance through proper pacing.

We're looking to get feedback from the swimming community. We'd love for you to check it out share your thoughts, and support if you like the idea!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/759862367/paceme-first-wearable-visual-pacing-device-for-swi

nszanto

Re: New device lets swimmers visually monitor pace & intervals

Postby nszanto » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:32 pm

Hey Ducky!

Pacing has definitely been an issue for me and a lot of swimmers that I know and swim with, especially for longer distances. I find it really difficult to gauge my pace in the water and often exert too much energy up front and slow dramatically on my later laps. When I try and slow down to be more aware I often end up dipping too far below my normal lap speed and can't build momentum back up.

Is pacing not something you think about doing your workouts, or do you have another tool/technique you use to help you achieve proper pacing? Would love to know.

Thanks!

woody

Postby woody » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:27 pm

Tempo trainer
Everything is won or lost inside your own head.

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:07 pm

Indeed, sorry to sound negative, but I'm quite happy with the Tempo Trainer for pacing work. I think I would find this new device distracting stuck between my eyes (I find centre-mounted snorkels visually annoying).
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

Shenaram

Postby Shenaram » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:22 pm

First of all, I would like to express my sincere respect for creating a device, whatever it may be, whose purpose is to improve performance, enhance pleasure in practicing a sport, or facilitating training thereof.

My personal opinion seconds those of preceding posters. Mike A summarised it in a better way than I could ever do.

I remember some (start-up) company which created a similar device, however placed on the side of the face and the LED indicating the heart rate. I cannot remember if it included all the functions of a wetronome on top of the hear rate indicator. If it did, this one seems, to me, a fairly better option. But is maybe way costlier, or not.

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:38 am

is that measuring the distance, in ther words can i use it in the open water to see my pace? if not, tempo trainer's mode2 satisfactory for ne in the pool and also mode1 is very nice for pace development precisely.
Once something goes into motion, it stays in motion, the process itself feeds the fire!
Ref: http://self-inspiration.com/video/uncomfortable-vs-exhaustion

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:56 am

You know what I'd like for open water? A device where you could lock your bearing, then it would flash on the left or right if you start drifting off course. A sort of virtual "black line". I'd especially like it if it was hidden in your goggles so you could use it in a race without anyone knowing. ;-)
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

Shenaram

Postby Shenaram » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:37 pm

Mike A wrote:You know what I'd like for open water? A device where you could lock your bearing, then it would flash on the left or right if you start drifting off course. A sort of virtual "black line". I'd especially like it if it was hidden in your goggles so you could use it in a race without anyone knowing. ;-)

That is an interesting one!
But... would it be considered cheating in a real race?

It may actually be possible to make one with reasonably short development. Who is volunteering for this project?

Return to “Talk Swimming!”