Johnny Weissmullers perfect kicktiming and power distribution

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
smootharnie

Johnny Weissmullers perfect kicktiming and power distribution

Postby smootharnie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:26 am

Tarzans stroke is very much like the modern stroke.
If elites would swim with more kayak timing and with their head out of the water, it would still look exactly as Tarzans stroke.
Because he has to trash his arms in the water and push down more in combination with a more kayaklike armtiming, there is more disturbance on his balance, especially from the arm entry on the 3th kick(arm entry on one side/arm exit on other side), which is more powerfull and starts to look as the main kick almost, but otherwise the resemblence with Thorpes kick is striking.
He even has the same 2 stage depth from first- inbetween- third in his kick action.
These guys must have an instinct that hates a leg that sticks out too far in the underlying stream of water and creates lots of drag.
Tarzans postion is angled down more than Thorpes but its not that bad.

setup for 1

kick 1

thorpe kick1
Last edited by smootharnie on Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

smootharnie

Re: Johnny Weissmullers perfect kicktiming

Postby smootharnie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:27 am

The Dodo

Re: Johnny Weissmullers perfect kicktiming and power distribution

Postby The Dodo » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:25 am

Your first pic showing Tarzan's left leg's transition from end of kick upbeat to start of kick downbeat, exemplified what I sometimes prattle on about - the lower leg bent back, possibly as much as 30 degrees, the sole of the foot horizontal - and because of the knee bend, some of the shin area being used for a good (if momentary) push back - aided of course by flexible feet. Thorpe does the same - in fact is this now a common feature of sprint swimmers? (This is like the pics of Morozov's leg action in Sheila Taormina's "Swim Speed Strokes".) The other point of interest is the fact that the thighs barely come in front of the torso line (This seems to apply to most speed swimmers now - all the leg action being above the body line, re your comment about minimizing drag in the water flow passing under the body!). This is what I saw on my GoSwim Lezak DVD I have - he also swims with his torso tilted up very slightly - hydroplaning? - and you get the impression he tries to keep any disturbance of water above the body line - with a smoother flow beneath it! Surprised by "Tarzans" fairly late high elbow start of pull in that first pic, but I think, from memory (without looking things up) Sheila has pics in her "Swim Speed Secrets", showing he initially uses his curled over fingers to "grab the water" as an arm enters, and then straightens the hand as it goes down to a proper catch. I think Sheila has great estimation for his catch technique since she has several pics of his (seemingly better) arm action in her other book. IMO Tarzan's more continuous arm action was absolutely essential for his choice of keeping the head high - a bit like polo swimmers - but it certainly keeps both legs and arms working together in an optimal fashion (without any drop-off in propulsion from non-propulsive arms while only the legs are acting) - however, rather tiring for a distance swim! ;)

Does this all mean we ought to strive for a slight upward curl to the body when trying to go a bit faster (without allowing the belly to sag - that would cause extra drag for some of us! :lol: )???

smootharnie

Re: Johnny Weissmullers perfect kicktiming and power distribution

Postby smootharnie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:55 pm

I think a slighly curved boatlike undershape aint bad.
You dont want a hollow lower back though, so most of the posture change happens in the upperback. flat lowerback, legs up by flexible hip flexors.
Better for freedom of shoulder movement also, but if you are used to a rounded back. a straight back feels unnnatural and takes effort to sustain.
Swim posture and computer posture are opposites.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”