Riding high

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
smootharnie

Riding high

Postby smootharnie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:46 pm

Swimming in the dead sea.
A shame they are swimming so slow. I guess its a lot of fun swimming this way.
High ref with little rotation like on a surfboard is the best approach for it probably, but swim races there could reveal the optimal technique under these altered buoyancy conditions.
https://www.facebook.com/MadswimmerSA/v ... 098926368/
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

s.sciame

Re: Riding high

Postby s.sciame » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:32 pm

smootharnie wrote:High ref with little rotation like on a surfboard is the best approach for it probably, but swim races there could reveal the optimal technique under these altered buoyancy conditions.
https://www.facebook.com/MadswimmerSA/v ... 098926368/

In a way, it's something like the era when the super suits were allowed. Alain Bernard wouldn't have won much without those suits. Swimming had become a matter of muscles and dryland training more than technique and feel for the water. Especially in the short distances where muscles matter more. Grant Hackett's 1500 world record was one of the few records that survived to the super suits era.

Salvo
Other SS forum members and I are also on swim.palstani.com

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:38 pm

Why would it suddenly become a muscle only sport?
Only breathing becomes easier, but thats not a problem in backstroke either.
It requires a different style I guess. They seem to roll very easy. Falling to the side like they are laying on a ball.
Thats different when you are dense and more underwater.
Would love to see what stroke real athletes would come up with.
Probably you are partle right. Arnies would love it more than real swimmers.

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:52 pm

Apparently the masks were essential to avoid sodium poisoning. There's a lot of salt in that there water!
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

s.sciame

Postby s.sciame » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:32 pm

smootharnie wrote:Why would it suddenly become a muscle only sport?
Probably you are partle right. Arnies would love it more than real swimmers.

That's it, Arnies would love it and benefit more than real swimmers. Also imagine a race of paddling on a surfboard: who would win, the best swimmer or the strongest Arnie? Another less extreme example: wetsuit swimming. The better swimmer you are, the less you benefit from the wetsuit and viceversa. Wetsuits usually reduce the gap between the best and worst swimmers. An elite swimmer doesn't shave 15s per 100m just by wearing a wetsuit. A beginner often does.

Last year Paltrinieri's dryland trainer was invited in my pool for a workshop and we also talked about this. We talked about the super suits' era and Bernard's success (by the way, what swim type could Bernard be? Smooth? Swinger? Refined Arnie?). One thing that I remember is that he went as far as saying: "with all respect for sprinters, I don't even consider the 50's a swimming race"...!

Salvo
Other SS forum members and I are also on swim.palstani.com

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:14 pm

Must be a single minded long distance guy :D

I see kicking is out of the question. Legs are kicked out of the water very easy with a 6Bk.
Looks like Shellys type 2BK is more than enough.
Looking up in waterpolostyle is not a problem anymore but dont know if thats a real advantage.
Could be that pulling yourself half over the water with the upperbody and good pulling technique is the way to go.
Maybe sprinters can kick themselfses even higher out the water with a very fast low amplitude kick slapping on the water.
Anyway, Paltrinieris style still would work pretty well in long distance probably if he doesnt dive in deep anymore.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”