Skinny strength

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
smootharnie

Skinny strength

Postby smootharnie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:59 pm

see a lot of woman from a certain age coming back to swimming with near flawless technique.
Despite that , they are not so fast.

And there is one skinny gay going very fast.
Skinny strength. Not so much static, but also with an endurance component in the case of swimming.
This guy probably has more the static side of it. Elite swimmers must have similar outstanding capabilities.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpsZtxObsz8
Learn this guy to swim and he will be very fast at least in a 50m sprint
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

Sprinter

Re: Skinny strength

Postby Sprinter » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:14 pm

smootharnie wrote:see a lot of woman from a certain age coming back to swimming with near flawless technique.

I believe this just looks so because they put very little effort into it, and have more body fat to allow such "effortless" swimming.
If they would put more effort into it, they would look as bad (or worse) as the males of their age.

Regarding technique: from the age of, say, 40 years, fitness and strength training becomes more and more important. Perhaps it's healthier to forget about technique, and just apply as much effort as possible?

The idea of "effortless swimming" seems very destructive to me: in what other serious sport would you consider it a good thing to do something "without effort"?? Most hours spent on "effortless swimming" are perhaps just wasted?

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Very interesting subject.

In my experience, "To become effortless requires maksimum effort". But moreover, after becoming effortles, you stay at the plateau for a while although you struggle with the same effort and then your performance starts to decrease unless you spend extra effort or accelerate the effort, cant put more on that performance you have reached. I have also been searching for little but continuous improvement for a long time.

Recommend a related article about Kaizen Swimming, How to Improve Continuously below:

http://www.active.com/swimming/articles ... ntinuously
Once something goes into motion, it stays in motion, the process itself feeds the fire!
Ref: http://self-inspiration.com/video/uncomfortable-vs-exhaustion

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:42 pm

I admit that nearly flawless is a bit exagerated.
Strokes look pretty good, they do flipturns etc, no appearant stroke problems, but obviously the fitness level isnt top notch.
You can see not many Watts are released in their strokes.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

Return to “Talk Swimming!”