FINA World Champs

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
JulianC

FINA World Champs

Postby JulianC » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:20 pm

Watching this has certainly brought home the different styles but any tips on who we should be looking out for - apart from Mr Smooth of course! Federica Pellegrini has certainly caught my eye and so did Biedermann.

Julian C (Jaked free ;) )

Paul Newsome

Re: FINA World Champs

Postby Paul Newsome » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:01 am

JulianC wrote:Watching this has certainly brought home the different styles but any tips on who we should be looking out for - apart from Mr Smooth of course! Federica Pellegrini has certainly caught my eye and so did Biedermann.

Julian C (Jaked free ;) )

Hi Julian

Yes the World Champs have been very exciting - 30+ new W.Rs and a whole load of controversy over the new suits from Jaked etc.

I always find listening to what the commentators are saying about particular swim styles and trends to be quite interesting. Obviously this is specific to your own country's commentators. Over here in Australia there was a big discussion in the breaststroke sprint events over the balance between a long, gliding stroke and a stroke with a much higher stroke rate that still holds itself together efficiently and has a good deal of rhythm. Needless to say it was the non-gliding stroke which was in favour. This is simply due to the fact that to "glide" for most people means to decelerate. Constant glide-accelerate-glide-accelerate...is very fatiguing indeed. Their point was that each swimmer needs to define their optimal balance. Interestingly enough we wrote a whole article on this topic ~18 months ago and have been teaching this way ever since. You can read that here: http://www.swimsmooth.com/strokerate.html

Hope this provides a little more insight.

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

JulianC

Postby JulianC » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks Paul - Really wished I had got out to Rome to watch some of it - it looked fabulous. Comments have been very interesting too, in the 1500m the commentators mentioned the swimmers hands were not completley closed as this gives them a bigger surface area to 'catch'. I have always tried to swim with my fingers as close togetehr as possible to make a rigid paddle - although sometimes in cold water that is pretty tough.
Mellouli was pretty impressive in the 1500m but I was very happy that Hackett's record was not broken. I can't get my head around swimming 14:34.56 for 1500m!!!

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:11 pm

JulianC wrote:Comments have been very interesting too, in the 1500m the commentators mentioned the swimmers hands were not completley closed as this gives them a bigger surface area to 'catch'. I have always tried to swim with my fingers as close togetehr as possible to make a rigid paddle - although sometimes in cold water that is pretty tough.

This is an interesting point Julian. Holding your fingers ever-so-slightly apart as the elite guys do is actually quite a fine motor skill. There is a fine line between what you see on the TV and being too far apart and thus allowing water to slip. Normally I'd suggest to most swimmers to keep your fingers closed, but with a loose grip, not a tight, rigid one.

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

Return to “Talk Swimming!”