What Do You Think Of Mr Smooth?

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
Croc D

Re: What Do You Think Of Mr Smooth?

Postby Croc D » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:05 am

Mr Smooth is an outstanding piece, marvelous! Well done at SwimSmooth :)

Suggestion for improvement:

1) Movement from hips - thighs to knees seems unnaturally stiff with, in my opinion, to much of a "robotic" touch

2) Final head turn to breathe: As discussed in another topic (http://www.swimsmoothforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=693)
I think Mr Smooth's just a little bit to early with the final head turn to breathe

Well yes, following your comment, in my opinion Mr Smooth starts his head turn just a little bit to early, not yet having real catch and pressure ready to pull.

Mr Smooth starts his final turn to breathe just before he's bending his hand down for catch. This sequence should be exchanged: 1st pointing the hand/fingers down - get pressure for pull - then the mouth out to breathe.

If not doin like this one would loose a bit of alinment and positionning - causing some sinking

Regards from cold and snowy Switzerland
Croc D

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:05 am

Newbie here. I'm finding Mr Smooth really helpful for mastering the basics of modern technique. He's just so clear to study, compared to the confusing array of videos on youtube! I'm also finding the various tips on the website very useful too, especially regarding breathing issues (and boy do I have them!).

So now I'm considering investing in a DVD, but not sure which would be more appropriate - the Box Set or the Learn to Swim Freestyle DVD? This describes where I'm at right now:-

I'm 42 and started swimming again about 6 months back, having not swum regularly for 20+ years. I swam a lot as a kid (though not competitively) and am generally very comfortable in the water. I'm no athlete and never will be, but I got a reasonable fitness level back quite quickly, and currently do 1600m in about 35mins. However, this is 90% breaststroke - freestyle renders me a gasping wreck after about 50m. Frustrated by this, I started researching technique online. The faults I've identified include - weak catch, overdeep pull, unilateral breathing, head lifting, breath-holding and insufficient roll. On the plus side, my kicking's alright! ;) I'm working on all this - currently focusing on bilateral breathing, though I still find breathing to the left a lot more natural than the right. I'm trying to "trust the pocket", but at the moment it doesn't always return the favour! My ultimate aim is to be able to do a pool swim in the region 1200-1600m, in less than my breaststroke time - but with the emphasis on smooth & sustainable rather than lightning-fast.

So that's where I'm at - I'd be interested to hear which DVD best suits my needs.

Cheers, Mike
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 am

Hi Mike

The Learn 2 Swim DVD is arguably going to be way too basic for your needs and as such I'd suggest that the DVD Boxset would be a better choice. The new Catch Masterclass DVD is also very good though and we've been getting some really good feedback with how this is helping people refine their strokes. This does not go into depth on breathing and body position though in the same way that the original DVD Boxset does. The DVD Boxset also contains a printable 8-week training program which i think you'd find useful.

Hope that all helps.

Cheers

Paul

P.S I responded to Croc D over at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=693#p4308 for anyone following that particular discussion. Thanks!
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:35 am

Thanks for the prompt response - I've just ordered the box set. I will probably look at the Catch Masterclass a bit further down the line. For the moment, breathing, roll symmetry and general coordination are the issues I think most need addressing.

Cheers, Mike

joeleitz

Postby joeleitz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 pm

That's a nice app for improving a swimmer's stroke. Very nice animation too. How was the animation done? What software was it made with because it runs very smoothly and the water reflections make it look very realistic too.

a better pool pump provides a better swimming environment

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 am

Hi Joeleitz

Thanks for your feedback - glad you like Mr Smooth! If you like the realistic effect, just wait until you see what we have coming up down the line with our next generation in animated swimmer - sure to impress!

Cheers

Paul
2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim Champion. Don't forget to check out our valuable Know How section on the main site at http://www.swimsmooth.com/knowhow.html

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:21 pm

If I could suggest one feature I think would improve Mr Smooth, it would be the ability to hide the water but still see the splash (or some indication of the water surface) as the hand enters/exits the water. I like to hide the water to get a clear view of everything, but then you can't see the precise timing and position of the hand entry/exit. Of course I appreciate this may be quite difficult to achieve, and it's a very minor quibble about what is undoubtedly an excellent visualisation tool!

cheers, Mike

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:43 am

Mike A wrote:If I could suggest one feature I think would improve Mr Smooth, it would be the ability to hide the water but still see the splash (or some indication of the water surface) as the hand enters/exits the water. I like to hide the water to get a clear view of everything, but then you can't see the precise timing and position of the hand entry/exit. Of course I appreciate this may be quite difficult to achieve, and it's a very minor quibble about what is undoubtedly an excellent visualisation tool!
Hi Mike, we have a few minor refinements in the pipeline which may well satisfy that need! They're part of a bigger project so may take a little time before release but we're working on it!

Cheers,

Adam

Nicolopolus

Postby Nicolopolus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:32 am

Hi Paul/Adam,

Longtime lurker (as they say). I've only ever swum breaststroke all my life (I'm 32), but Jan last year decided to teach myself front crawl. Initially I had the Total Immersion book, but quickly found Swim Smooth, and what an enormous help it's been! I'm now down to just over 30mins for a mile in the pool (although finding it hard to break through this) and one of the great things that's helped is the Mr Smooth vids - I put it on my phone and spend a few minutes before each swim just trying to visualize myself in his place. So thanks for this great tool (as well as the rest of the site, blogs, etc).

A couple of us on another thread (muscles involved in front crawl), are trying to figure out what muscles should be engaged at each phase of the stroke, in order to get extra understanding and bio-feedback on whether we're doing it right. Just an idea: how about adding an optional anatomical skin to Mr Smooth and highlighting the major muscle groups that should be working at each phase?

I'm no physiologist or programmer, so don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but it's just an idea!

Thanks for the great site,
Nick
Check out my swim blog at http://nickybuoy.wordpress.com

I'm swimming 201.2 miles to the Olympics for the Lifeboat Fund - please check my sponsor page! http://www.justgiving.com/NickyBuoy

ed.hart

Postby ed.hart » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:43 am

Hi,

I have got to be able to swim 400m in less than 8min, for a section of a beach lifesaving course. I am 16, and quite strong and fit (i play a lot of sport, rugby, etc, and do quite a bit of gym work). I also am quite strong at paddling on a surfboard. However, i havent done a lot of swimming in quite a few years. So just wondering how long 400m should realistically take me, how hard it is to achieve this time, and what sort of training i should be doing for it.

This looks like a fantastic site, and thanks for any help from anyone!

Johnny

Postby Johnny » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:54 pm

Mr Smooth is fabbo! I was doing so much wrong I've had to change pretty well everything about my style to even begin to approach that smooth bastard's style...but I'm getting there and it really does work. :D

The wrist bit is only one of about 10 alterations I've had to make. I was a chronic 'overglider' as well as putting all my effort into a down stroke rather than a pull. I only breathed to one side...every stroke, and barely rolled at all. I had developed a chronic swimming injury due to poor left arm position and made no speed progress despite putting in hours in the pool.

I was a mess. :oops:

My swimming injury has already righted itself (after only two weeks) and I swim totally bi-laterally now. I am still slower than I was, but that is gradually picking up and i am pretty certain I will eventually be faster...and a damn site smoother.

Mr. Smooth is ace!

Many thanks.

Jx

lbenson

Postby lbenson » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:52 pm

Mr. Smooth is fantastic! I'm a visual learner and it has been so helpful to see the technique in action and get a feel for the timing. Well done! I have the proconsole and love the different views and slow motion feature. I highly recommend it.

sterlingtimes

Postby sterlingtimes » Wed May 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Mr Smooth is far superior, as a learning tool, to the "watch me and copy me" DVD approach to coaching.

I have two problems, as a non-athlete, with teachers.

Firstly, I find it difficult to watch other swimmers and emulate their approaches; and

secondly, I respond badly to commands that are shouted out by a trainer.

When I was taught to ride many years ago, I would often hear "get your leg on", "sit on your seat bones" and "change your leg". I only had two riding instructors who could explain the terminology.

There are many silly swimming commands on the internet like "press your buoy" and "swim downhill".

I am most impressed with the Catch Master Class DVD because it goes back to first principles, includes lecture time, explains how the catch and pull should feel and only then back this up with swimming demonstrations. Now if Mr Smooth could do a two beat kick I might find this closer to what I am trying to achieve as a bottom-end Intermediate.

Magnus

Postby Magnus » Wed May 11, 2011 1:43 pm

To Paul / Adam

Dear friends!

Lately I have been thinking concerning Mr Smooth, the animation: he has indeed been a great help to me (I "met" him the first time in January 2010) but now I also have some second thoughts I'd like to share.

Some time during the winter I lost a part of my stroke (i.e. reaching, stretching and rolling). My coach - that I have found through this forum SO THANKFUL FOR THAT :D :D - helped me to correct it. I would like to see a bit more of reaching in the animation. That is gliding but not over gliding. I understand that the motion need to go on. But, as an example - I have seen you, Paul, showing the stroke on land (on Youtube), standing, doing it in a very smooth way but reaching more than Mr Smooth. It is only a question of a fraction of a second, actually. Not being reminded of "reaching to the end of the pool" in the animation may encourage a shortish stroke. Do you feel me? What do you think of my comments?

Cheers,

Magnus

PS. One of my not so secret dreams are to meet you guys in Perth one day :) . Who knows what will happen in the future... 8-)

Paul Newsome

Postby Paul Newsome » Fri May 13, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks for your comments Magnus. Sorry for the delay, myself and Adam are on the road at the moment delivering our spring series of Swim Smooth Clinics across the UK. 5 down and 5 to go...

On your point about Mr Smooth - we are very happy with the amount of extension he shows at the front of the stroke and would not wish this to be anymore than it is. He does reach full extension of the elbow and in a rotated position of the trunk and as such takes that extension as far as would be needed. Any more and he might drop his wrist and elbow and end up leaning too much on that outstretched arm.

What is difficult to fully show with this version of the animation is the sensation of forward movement and momentum which may be why you feel he needs to stretch further. Don't worry though, we have something special in store very soon...watch this space!

Cheers

Paul

Magnus

Postby Magnus » Fri May 13, 2011 9:38 am

Hi Paul and thank U for your feedback. I will indeed stay tuned. :D

Cheers,

Magnus

nittle

Postby nittle » Thu May 19, 2011 2:12 pm

This is a great idea!! The visual aid is sure to inspire better swimming :)
Swim for the stars...

Spartak

Postby Spartak » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:03 pm

Mr Smooth help me understand what are coaches talking about, finally I could start get better and better.
Thank you very much

P.S. Front crawl is done, would you do the same about breast stroke, back stroke and butterfly? With that this site would be No1 for swimmers.
( If you could please make it, it would help us understand how to swim other stiles)

GeorgeY

Postby GeorgeY » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:10 pm

While studying Mr Smooth's hand entry I paused the action at frame number 159 and noticed a bug: In all views his left hand has dipped his fingers in the water but in classic side view his hand is out of the water.

P.S. Of course I am nitpicking, Mr Smooth is an outstanding application which has been extremely helpful to me!

andav

Postby andav » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 pm

I have been swimming for 50 years, breathing one side and no rotation.
Two weeks after finding Mr Smooth and your site, I can breath bilaterally, don't get out of breath and taken 3 minutes off my time for a mile!!
Thanks very much, Mr Smooth is awesome!!

Return to “Talk Swimming!”