What Do You Think Of Mr Smooth?

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
nick

Re: What Do You Think Of Mr Smooth?

Postby nick » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:09 pm

hi, i would just like to ask whether Mr smooth's technique applies for sprint freestyle (i.e 50/100m )
thanks in advance :D

Victor Meldrew

Postby Victor Meldrew » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Nicolopolus wrote:Hi Paul/Adam,

Longtime lurker (as they say). I've only ever swum breaststroke all my life (I'm 32), but Jan last year decided to teach myself front crawl. Initially I had the Total Immersion book, but quickly found Swim Smooth, and what an enormous help it's been! I'm now down to just over 30mins for a mile in the pool (although finding it hard to break through this) and one of the great things that's helped is the Mr Smooth vids - I put it on my phone and spend a few minutes before each swim just trying to visualize myself in his place. So thanks for this great tool (as well as the rest of the site, blogs, etc).

A couple of us on another thread (muscles involved in front crawl), are trying to figure out what muscles should be engaged at each phase of the stroke, in order to get extra understanding and bio-feedback on whether we're doing it right. Just an idea: how about adding an optional anatomical skin to Mr Smooth and highlighting the major muscle groups that should be working at each phase?

I'm no physiologist or programmer, so don't know how difficult this would be to implement, but it's just an idea!

Thanks for the great site,
Nick

If you want to check the muscle groups you are using then use the following quick check. I use this with swimmers of all ages and even with parents who normally just watch.

Stand upright and put your arm straight out in front of you. Keep your arm straight and then tense it. You will feel which muscles you are using as they tense up. These are the WRONG muscles as they are small and weak. They are basically your arm muscles and they form a secondary level of muscles used.

Now from the same standing position, put your arm straight out in front of you but this time, bend your arm at the elbow ensuring your elbow is above your wrist and your wrist is above your hand. Now tense it and you should get a different feel. Now you should feel the larger muscle groups and this is how you should feel when you swim.

This is not exact (I don't want to confuse swimmers with a full anatomical description) but I find it really helps swimmers understand the correct feeling for front crawl.

Try it out and let me know what you think, I would welcome your view.

Cheers

Rachapkis

Postby Rachapkis » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm glad that you developed Mr. Smooth. He certainly helps me to have a visual image of what I should be doing. I am also enjoying the forum and the helpful advice that I've been receiving there. I only wish that I lived in Austrailia so that I could take swimming lessons from your group.

Let me know if you're ever in Philadelphia and I'll buy you a cheesesteak.

Richard

spiralthinker

Postby spiralthinker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:11 am

Mr. Smooth completely lives up to his name. He is nothing but pure smooth. No but really, he is a great animation and I've watched him several times. Thanks for all the work you have put into him.
jj

rodhart

Postby rodhart » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:20 am

Hi!

It's great! A bit of an improvement on the flick-book (anyone remember them?) with line drawings of Mark Spitz that I had as a kid!
Visualising the correct stroke away from the water is half the problem and the animation really helps.

Best

Rod

nicksennen

Postby nicksennen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 pm

I would like to download the console. When I try the response is rather unhelpful, it just says I'm already registered. That's true, I downloaded it ages ago, but since then I've re-installed Windows following a computer crash. So, I'm registered but can't get the console back. I expect you have a simple (but not obvious) solution.
Thanks,
Nick

andresmuro

Postby andresmuro » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:19 pm

did mr smooth change technique? it seems that he has increased his catch slightly.

andylope

Postby andylope » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:21 am

I have recently loaded Mr Smooth.
Awesome animation! Actually better than any video since it justs go on for ever enabling you to slow down speed up and study each element of his stroke.

Not only looks great but is a valuable tool.

Thank you
Andrew

jesse

Postby jesse » Mon May 07, 2012 1:38 am

Great info thanks for the help.

kimaidou

Postby kimaidou » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:58 am

Hi all,

I really like Mr Smoot animation. I think it could be great to have it on mobile phone as a app. Do you plan to release an app in the Android / Iphone market ? You could have the "free" version and the "pro" ones. Having Mr Smooth full screen on my mobile phone before entering the pool would be helpfull.

dinghar

Postby dinghar » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:40 pm

Watching Mr. Smooth was transformative in my understanding of body rotation during swimming. The multiple angles also helped me better understand proper form. Thanks for coming up with this great tool. I give y'all 5 stars for this. -dinghar

sisterphonetica

Postby sisterphonetica » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:23 pm

He looks amazing!

As a person who's only ever really swim breast stroke (badly but with head in the water!), I still have no idea where to begin. I'll read more from the site and work up to it!

Gotelin

Postby Gotelin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:58 pm

Mr Smooth has a perfect swim. But one thing surprised me: is the correct movement the one of the hands (POINTING DOWN to the floor of the swimming pool)? or is only my appreciation? sorry for my English, I´m not only a smooth swimmer beginner, but a English speaker too. :lol:

greenT

Postby greenT » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:09 pm

Mr. Smooth is quite useful. Seeing him from all angles and looking at all parts of the stroke helps me to take on the movements in my stroke. It is so much more clear than words alone could be.

I was trained, mistakenly years ago, to propel my body like a board planing on the waters' surface. I always felt like I was suffocating when I swam the any distance. I liked the breast stroke much better.

I am swimming again now (30 years later) and taking on this new form of the crawl. It feels like a natural way to move through the water, like the breast stroke. I don't have much speed or rhythm yet but that will come with practice.

Anyway, I like Mr. Smooth and would like to see Miss Smooth. Is Miss Smooth available? I've seen references to Miss Smooth, but now video.

thank you for publishing Mr. Smooth.
8^)
Alice

Nayan

Postby Nayan » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:13 am

Apparently Mr smooth is swimming in a constant flow 'endless pool.'

I was wondering - In real life would he manage to hold his position as precisely or would he still have some forward backward motion relative to a static observer. Or to state another way - does a smooth's stroke with no deadspots make for uniform velocity or is there still some acceleration/deceleration (albeit less so than with an overglider)?

Gotelin

Postby Gotelin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:22 pm

Amer wrote:;) Hi All Budding Swimmers,

The Mr. Smooth and the Jono freestyle videos have some good technique elements. However, they both have a serious technique limitation, which is why it is not a good idea for beginning swimmers to use them as freestyle swimming models.

Both have massive dead (and deadly) spots. The fact that the the leading hand upon entry is "doing something" does not mean that it is not a dead spot. From the moment Jono, for example, enters his hand for the catch to the moment it is under his face, to begin the "push" phase, that hand (and its forearm) have provided zero propulsion (swimmingtechnology.com). In fact, the hand and forearm have created drag upto that point (end of the "pull" phase). Moreover, repeating an early verticle forearm type entry, like Jono and Mr. Smooth do, tens of thousands of times, can cause serious shoulder injury. There is no movement that we do in daily life that mimics such a strange and awkward motion as the early verticle forearm. Mr. Jono might be fine and healthy now, but several years down the road, shoulder pain due to his unorthodox "over the barrel," or "slipping the letter into the mailbox" type hand entry is bound to arise. And it will require major medical intervention.

I urge swimmers not to imitate Mr. Smooth or Jono in this aspect of the stroke for their own good. Enter your hand CLOSE in front of your head for the "catch" at a STEEP angle. You will then be in a very strong position for the "pull" phase of the stroke. Do NOT extend your arm forward like Jono and Mr. Smooth do to set up the catch. It is awkward, unhealthy, unnatural and potentially debilitating.

PS Watch how STEEP a kayaker enters his paddle.

Thanks for taking my advice

but i´m not sure I understand. What is STEEP? Do you have any reference, web, video,... to learn a swim "technical style" to avoid my shoulder problems? thanks.

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:12 pm

Gotelin wrote:
but i´m not sure I understand. What is STEEP? Do you have any reference, web, video,... to learn a swim "technical style" to avoid my shoulder problems? thanks.

Hi Gotelin
I believe that he has been removed from the forum...
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Adam Young

Postby Adam Young » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Nayan wrote:I was wondering - In real life would he manage to hold his position as precisely or would he still have some forward backward motion relative to a static observer. Or to state another way - does a smooth's stroke with no deadspots make for uniform velocity or is there still some acceleration/deceleration (albeit less so than with an overglider)?
Yes he would indeed move forwards and backwards very slightly - we didn't put anything into the animation like that as it would be very distracting!

Also yes, every swimmers does accel/decel slightly, like you say Overgliders a lot more than Swingers with more constant propulsion.

Gotelin

Postby Gotelin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:34 pm

gavinp wrote:
Gotelin wrote:

Hi Gotelin
I believe that he has been removed from the forum...

Ops, I don´t know why, in this thread he has expressed his opinion in a respectful and reasoned way. At least the admin has not removed his post, including the web source.

sharkbait

Postby sharkbait » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Well he doesn't say much...... but hes sure got some stamina.

But seriously I have found him to be very useful. A bit like a custom youtube video. Great first point of call when investigating stroke technique.
Sometimes I forget to be relevant. A bee gets about 2 million km per liter of nectar.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”