What Do You Think Of Mr Smooth?

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
Chris220

Re: What Do You Think Of Mr Smooth?

Postby Chris220 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:47 pm

Does mr smooth have a girl friend?

Adolfsmith69

Postby Adolfsmith69 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Use the Mr Smooth animation as a visualisation tool to understand the freestyle stroke better - the visual cues will soon have you improving your swimming.

dxyzlee

Postby dxyzlee » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm not sure if anyone else said this, but I was looking for a Mr. Smooth version of the other three strokes. I'm working on the butterfly and I wanted a model. I resorted to YouTube videos instead.

The only thing Mr. Smooth is missing is that he doesn't seem to employ the S-shaped arm sweep. But it has been awhile and I've got the downloaded animation back at home. I'd have to look at the front view again.

Generally, I think it's great. I'm in favor of any sort of modeling because mimicking a model is the best way to learn.

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:59 pm

dxyzlee wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else said this, but I was looking for a Mr. Smooth version of the other three strokes. I'm working on the butterfly and I wanted a model. I resorted to YouTube videos instead.

The only thing Mr. Smooth is missing is that he doesn't seem to employ the S-shaped arm sweep. But it has been awhile and I've got the downloaded animation back at home. I'd have to look at the front view again.

Generally, I think it's great. I'm in favor of any sort of modeling because mimicking a model is the best way to learn.

HI

Swimsmooth primarily focuses on front crawl so no other versions of the other strokes i'm afraid.

Also, the S-shaped arm stroke is a thing of the past also. See point 2 here:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/contentious.html
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

dxyzlee

Postby dxyzlee » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:24 pm

gavinp wrote:
HI

Swimsmooth primarily focuses on front crawl so no other versions of the other strokes i'm afraid.

Also, the S-shaped arm stroke is a thing of the past also. See point 2 here:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/contentious.html

But I still see swimmers using the S-shaped. How about the boomerang-type flexed arm (90 deg at the elbow) and moving an arm-full of water under your midline -- per Magliosch's book? (I started a whole new thread on The Catch, too. Damn.)

Monstrozity

Postby Monstrozity » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:01 pm

Judging from the swimsmooth console, it does look to me that his head is a bit high in the water.. I have read, and do try myself, that one should keep the head really low. almost under water. Is Mr. Swimsmooth more correct?

Pent

Postby Pent » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:30 pm

dxyzlee wrote:But I still see swimmers using the S-shaped

Bit late but: note that pulling straight back with good rotation will look like an S-shape as the shoulders start narrow, go wide, then narrow again with each stroke.

Pent

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:39 am

Monstrozity wrote:Judging from the swimsmooth console, it does look to me that his head is a bit high in the water.. I have read, and do try myself, that one should keep the head really low. almost under water. Is Mr. Swimsmooth more correct?

Correct for him specifically. Everyone has their own buoyancy level. It's a case of finding what is right for you.

Have fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

ClearSwimmer

Postby ClearSwimmer » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm new to this site, so here to say hello to all!

But I have never heard of this swimmer called "Mr. Smooth"! I just sat there with my jaw a little hanging at how amazing that freestyle is! I think you did a great job on this!
Clear eyes, clean pools!

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:47 pm

ss animation helped me to visualize hand exit and better recovery. i visualize as if i am carrying an egg in my palm from exit to my shoulder(fingers look back), then i adjust my fingers through front for hand entry this provides me easy recovery and proper hand entry.
Once something goes into motion, it stays in motion, the process itself feeds the fire!
Ref: http://self-inspiration.com/video/uncomfortable-vs-exhaustion

nightcrawler

Postby nightcrawler » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:52 am

nightcrawler wrote:ss animation helped me to visualize hand exit and better recovery. i visualize as if i am carrying an egg in my palm from exit to my shoulder(fingers look back), then i adjust my fingers through front for hand entry this provides me easy recovery and proper hand entry.

Also the friends (Cottmiler, SwimCoachStu, 400im, SolarEnergy, gavinp) helped me with their comments. Generally, in SS forum there is good company with a magnificient synergy, everyone less or more experienced in swimming, writes useful comments and publish scientifical papers and resources. SS forum members are very kind to the new-members who introduce themselves.
Once something goes into motion, it stays in motion, the process itself feeds the fire!
Ref: http://self-inspiration.com/video/uncomfortable-vs-exhaustion

John Langmead

Postby John Langmead » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:44 am

Excellent. I just wish he was doing a two beat kick (one kick per arm stroke).

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:31 pm

If you've got an ipad, check out Miss Swinger on the new iOS app. Classic 2-beat kick there!
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

Sea turtle

Postby Sea turtle » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:05 am

Mr Smooth is the best sport teacher I ever had
Last edited by Sea turtle on Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

harvs

Postby harvs » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:00 pm

Just seen the new iphone version of Mr Smooth. Has he changed his swimming style a little? He looks to have more EVF now

petegrimsdale

Postby petegrimsdale » Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 am

Mr Smooth is great and works well on my PC and I have noticed there is an AppStore version available for the iphone/ipad. Are there any plans to make and Android version available for those of us that are not "Appled up" ?

hb950322

Postby hb950322 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:23 am

It's interesting that Mr. Smooth finishes the final (push-phase) of the stroke very early. Most Coaches, Videos and books are forcing to make the stroke "as long as possible" and that the thumbs should touch the thighs before leaving the water. Mr. Smooth hands in contrast leave the water at the hips. My own experience (medium swimmer) is as follows: The longer the distance, the shorter the push-phase gets automatically and if I try to make the stroke as long as possible with a fully extended push-phase, the stroke rate decreases, it's a bit of unharmonic and very exhausting.

Would be very interesting to get a comment on this fact from Adam or Paul.

jihemd

Postby jihemd » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Thx a lot for the portable android version of Mr Smooth.

It runs fine on my Xperia Z Tablet but hangs on my smartphone Xperia Go:

'unpacking videofile 6 of 32' ... then it stops. sad!

JMarc from France

Joan

Postby Joan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:46 pm

I am 58 and always wanted to swim. This past summer, I took some lessons and am THRILLED. I've managed to go from putting my face in the water to swimming laps. I am classified as a bambino. Your site has helped me emensely! All of the visual images and tips have given me something to think about and work on every time I am in the pool.
I find something new everytime I visit the site. Thankyou thankyou!

angelinamike

Postby angelinamike » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:33 pm

The biggest flaws in Mr Smooth is the water effect. If you swim like Mr Smooth in the real world, the wave at the swimming pool will be too hard for you. I can hardly see Mr Smooth 90 SPS without visualization.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”