What Do You Think Of Mr Smooth?

Welcome! Ask your questions and chat about swimming, technique, swimming training or Mr Smooth.
steveb

Re: Original stroke rate ?

Postby steveb » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Out of curiosity - what stroke rate (roughly) was JvH actually doing in the clip that you used to capture Mr Smooth?
(Or alternatively, how many frames of animation per second of original video?).
The shape and timing of my stroke changes quite a bit when I change stroke rate & I'd be interested to know what the natural speed of the amination is.
From the shape of the water around him it looks like he's going pretty fast.
Great visualisation tool.

mjtyson

Re: What Do You Think Of Mr Smooth?

Postby mjtyson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:09 am

I love Mr Smooth but never get to use him. I swim after work but my work prohibits the flash ap.

I'd use him more and probably pay for him if he were iPod capable. Plus, I'd love to download the female version (seen in your book) for my daughters' iPods if that version were available.
Cheers,
Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

http://marathonswimmers.org/blogs/ironmike/

trichos_CA

Postby trichos_CA » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:38 pm

400 frames! Ef yeah! Favorite angle? Directly under(minus water). My catch/push went from snappy and slippy to smooth and silky. Second fav: head-on view. This angle has helped with timing issues that are almost resolved @ my rate. Observations on Mr. Smooth: Precision favors right arm, power favors left arm.

:roll:

~K

aposwim

Postby aposwim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Mr Smooth is great!

One of the things I picked up the first time I saw it was the constant exhale when his face is in the water. As a swimmer growing up one thing I was told was to hold your breath more and exhale big right before a breath is taken. I tried what Mr Smooth does and my 100m sustatined pace dropped 1-2 sec immeadly trying this! awesome work!

ustriathlete

Postby ustriathlete » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:11 pm

this is awesome!!
www.ustriathlete.org
Building The Largest Triathlon Community in the US
"Tri The LifeStyle"

kab

Postby kab » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:08 am

I love Mr Smooth. My wife was somewhat incredulous that I would look to the internet to learn how to swim, until I showed her Mr Smooth. I put it up side-by-side with other swimming videos, and come back to it before and after every swim to check whatever I'm focusing on that session. Great, great tool, especially when combined with the rest of your site!

Android version? I'm not carrying my MBPro anywhere near a pool anytime soon!

paulctho

Postby paulctho » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:39 pm

Mr. Smooth and Michael Phelps are different in the arm stroke underwater. Phelps has more of insweep than Mr. Smooth. In another words, Phelps is more toward an S shaped stroke while Mr. Smooth is more of a straight line stroke.

mp joyce

Postby mp joyce » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Mr. Smooth is my hero! When I'm in work out with my Masters group I like to pretend that I AM Mr. Smooth. The visualization really makes me feel smoother, stronger and more even in my rhythm. I think the more I watch Mr. Smooth the better. I think I will keep him on all day on my extra monitor!
Last edited by mp joyce on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

43miles

Postby 43miles » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:23 pm

Great tools to teach swim strokes! :)

RUKARACAN

Postby RUKARACAN » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:35 pm

Adam Young wrote:Hopefully by now you've seen our swimming animation, Mr Smooth. We've put a lot of effort into developing him to show swimmers what a great freestyle stroke looks like. We hope swimmers around the world find him useful and insightful.

If you haven't seen him yet, you can view Mr Smooth in profile on the Swim Smooth homepage: http://www.swimsmooth.com

You can also download the very cool Mr Smooth Free Console to see him from any angle, at any speed. You can even remove the water for a clearer view - from some angles distorts things. Download the free Console application here: http://www.swimsmooth.com/console

The Free Console on your desktop (50% size) :

We suggest when you go for a swim you watch Mr Smooth beforehand. See how smooth his stroke is, take on board the rhythm and timing of his stroke and try and reproduce this when you swim. A simple visualisation like this can really help your stroke and answer your questions at a glance.

Please use this thread to post any feedback and questions you have about his stroke and the Console software (free or pro versions).

Cheers, Adam

Very helpful, thanks. :)

swimtime

Postby swimtime » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks for an excellent website. I have lots of exploring to do! Mr smooths pull seems to be largely done (his arm is vertical) by the time rotation occurs. I think if the recovering arm drop and kick occurred closer to the start of the pull it would display much more clearly the benefits of rotation in transferring power to your stroke.

kmdoswell

Postby kmdoswell » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 am

Awesome tool!! Although I just started a week or so ago, Mr. Smooth showed the exact technique I could not get reading or looking at the video of others for hand entry. This morning I finally got it,,,the feel!! Now I gotta work on all that other stuff (roll, kick, bi lateral,,,).... so maybe someday I too can "Swim Smooth" or at the very least,,, smoother ;)
Thanks for this wonderful tool and all the great documentation on swimming. I can see how many many hours, and deep dedication that went into developing this awesome site and tool set!! You all are tops!!
Thanks, Kathleen in the US.

dh313

Postby dh313 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:30 am

unique, effective instructional tool.
Very much a "smooth" hip-driven stroke. as a mere mortal man of avg. joe proportions (5'9" and 150 lbs) I will never swim fast trying to emulate Mr. Smooth. rather, i'm better off in both the pool and open water with a high-turnover swinger style -- less rotation, quicker catch, decreased finishing power, and less overall single-stroke power.

nonetheless, he's great for illustrating many of the difficult aspects -- hip-hand timing, catch, hand tilt, elimination of dead-spot, and kick timing to name a few.

thanks for sharing him with us!
Kirk & Charity Nelson
Pro Triathlete, Coach, and Bike Builder
www.dh313.com
www.independentbikebuilder.com

spjoshi

Postby spjoshi » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:20 am

I am 61 years old. In my collage days I used to swim 100 M Freestyle in 68 seconds, and 100 M Butterfly in 80 seconds. After visiting swim Smooth website I came to know that I was swimming naturally without technical knowledge. Now at this age of 61 years I started to follow the tips given in swim Smooth website and again at this age I have improved my swimming and I am able to swim 100 m in 90 seconds which I think is a very good speed. Every body in the pool are requesting me to coach freestyle swimming. Thanks to swim Smooth website.

mike333

Postby mike333 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:38 pm

I love the animated Mr Smooth. It has been a
huge benefit to me. I've studied his form for
a long time from many different angles. For
someone relatively new to swimming like me
its been really beneficial.

mike333

Postby mike333 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:38 pm

One thing to improve animated Mr Smooth though.
I would like to be able to see the "Overhead View"
with Mr Smooth in a vertical position, not not
only horizontal... (at present Mr Smooth's head
is at 9:00 but I want to also see it at 12:00).

swimsteveh

Postby swimsteveh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:34 pm

I use Mr Smooth for every aspect of my stroke, but I find one helpful view would be the option of only seeing 1 side (half) at a time to help see timing correlation between phases of the stroke. If you slow down the stroke rate, it helps, but for learning the kick pattern i'd love to be able to remove a bit more distractions. All in all, brilliant use of technology for swimming.

mike333

Postby mike333 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:35 pm

It would be useful if we could hide/unhide specific
body parts using a single mouse click. For example,
a user could hide the arms so as to just focus on
the rest of the body... or hide the legs, etc.

mrclock

Postby mrclock » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:46 am

It is a remarkable programme , improved my breathing action and arm rhythm a lot.
After two months excersice ( twice a week ) and the animation observation , I can swim freely in free style.
thanks

Dale Whitlock

Postby Dale Whitlock » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi.Hoping someone can help.I am trying to register the Mr Smooth application.I have entered my email address and key but the register icon is not highlighted for me to select.

Return to “Talk Swimming!”