The Strokes Of London 2012

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
danwillert

The Strokes Of London 2012

Postby danwillert » Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:25 pm

According to your recent update, you mention how efficient the Swinger technique is for open water. Are you suggesting that as a Smooth swimmer I should modify my stroke to Swinger and increase tempo when in open water comps?

SolarEnergy

Re: The Strokes Of London 2012

Postby SolarEnergy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 pm

To some extent, yes.

In a pool, I trust Sun Yang to defeat Ryan Cochrane in a 1500m event, but I doubt that Sun could resist Ryan over the same distance open water. I believe it is still possible to be extremely fast OW as a smooth type swimmer, I've seen it in the past (ie, sub 70spm swimmers doing very well over the Marathon distance), but tweaking needs to be done.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

danwillert

Postby danwillert » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks. Guess I'll stick with Plan A and not be trying
to change my stroke.

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:22 pm

Fair decision.

It's important to note that the Smooth Type Swimmer Guide is aimed at helping smooths to become better Open Water, and that without changing their true nature.

In the Open Water Marathon world, we often witness real strong domination, that sometimes span over almost a decade. John Kinsella, Claudio Plitt, Petar Stoichev.

My years were dominated by Chad Hundeby, who was definitely your classic Smooth type, displaying an RPM that was rarely above 70spm, and yet winning by at least 500m most of the time.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

CamdenCamden

Postby CamdenCamden » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:51 pm

SolarEnergy wrote:Fair decision.

It's important to note that the Smooth Type Swimmer Guide is aimed at helping smooths to become better Open Water, and that without changing their true nature.

In the Open Water Marathon world, we often witness real strong domination, that sometimes span over almost a decade. John Kinsella, Claudio Plitt, Petar Stoichev.

My years were dominated by Chad Hundeby, who was definitely your classic Smooth type, displaying an RPM that was rarely above 70spm, and yet winning by at least 500m most of the time.

I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that the Smooth Type Swimmer Guide is aimed at helping smooths to become better Open Water, and that without changing their true nature.

vastonsmith

Postby vastonsmith » Thu May 21, 2015 6:23 am

What I find odd is that I very often find that I start off in the pool with a slower, ostensibly smoother stroke, however after the first 20 lengths I will take a short break and start again (I tend to do three sets of 20, in a 25m pool). Usually my stroke rate will then speed up, and I start taking I take shorter strokes automatically. I tend to start swimming as though I am lying on a surf board, with much shallower and wider arms, almost like 'wading' through the water. I definitely go faster like this, and it feels more natural (in the sense that it is basically done on autopilot), but also I think my arms get tired doing a longer stroke, so it is easier to make less expansive reaches anyway.

Return to “Swim Types!”