Just started using the bambino guide

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
zonfeld

Re: Just started using the bambino guide

Postby zonfeld » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi guys, very interesting thread. Congratulations on the progress!
Paul mentioned that waterproof audio coaching system. What's it called? I've tried to google it but only came across a few patents on no product, apart from the military scuba stuff that I can't afford. I'm guessing I cannot afford this one either, but I'll cross that bridge later. :)

woody

Postby woody » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Zonfield
I think the system is where the swimmer wears a headset and the coach can then talk to the swimmer.
I was lucky enough to have a session with Paul in early March and he used it with me . I have to say it was fantastic he didn't talk too much but could give encouragement and instructions without having to wait til the end of the length. I would encourage all coaches to get and anyone having coaching go to a coach that has the system . I think they are about £250 if you post asking Paul or Adam I am sure they will give you full info.
Everything is won or lost inside your own head.

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

zonfeld

Postby zonfeld » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Thank you, woody!

I was immediately mesmerized when Paul talked about it during the analysis. I can see huge benefits in getting feedback instantly. Hearing "you're doing it now" and then being able to check what's going on at the moment versus comparing notes at the end of the lap must be great.

I just don't believe the "he didn't talk too much" part. I cannot imagine the constant stream of words from Paul's mouth ever ebbing!
j/k. :D

I won't bug Paul or Adam with my trivial question right away but rather wait for a day or two to see if they stumble upon it before I start pestering them.
£250 sounds steep but not as expensive as I would have imagined. If my girlfriend doesn't find out about the price, I might get away with it. ;)

BTW, I'm adding my kudos to all the others you've received. I imagine there aren't many who would put their video analysis out there--much of the time frozen in the most disadvantageous position of the stroke--so that others can learn an benefit from it.
Good luck with getting your swimming where you want it to be!

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:28 pm

This is awesome, that's how I actually coach.

I generally yell instructions so loud that swimmers can ear them whilst swimming. Admittedly though, it tends to be excessively loud for the other users of the pool :lol:
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

zonfeld

Postby zonfeld » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 am

SolarEnergy wrote:I generally yell instructions so loud that swimmers can ear them whilst swimming. Admittedly though, it tends to be excessively loud for the other users of the pool :lol:

I like that approach - no stuff to carry along, no expensive gear required, and (just thought of another thread that I replied to) you never have to worry about a drained battery. :mrgreen:

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:13 am

zonfeld wrote:
SolarEnergy wrote:I generally yell instructions so loud that swimmers can ear them whilst swimming. Admittedly though, it tends to be excessively loud for the other users of the pool :lol:

I like that approach - no stuff to carry along, no expensive gear required, and (just thought of another thread that I replied to) you never have to worry about a drained battery. :mrgreen:

It works brilliantly in a 50m pool though. You've got long enough to be correcting/tweaking thew stroke way before the swimmer gets to the end... and you don't have to lose your voice either :P
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

zonfeld

Postby zonfeld » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:00 pm

I just thought of something else for audio transmission:
If I put a cell phone in a waterproof case, attached that to my back and used waterproof headphones, we could simply establish a phone call and I could hear the instructions without shelling out hundreds of dollars...
Right at or just below the surface, signal strength should be good enough so that the call doesn't get dropped.

I think I'm going to have to give that a shot. :geek:

Breizh Arnie

Postby Breizh Arnie » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:20 pm

woody wrote:Hi Arnie ,Harry,Mike

I am really pleased with the analysis video especially as six weeks ago I could not have done the opening swim of 200metres that the analysis is based on. I am feeling more confident than ever before that my swimming will improve from here on.

You may remember from my previous posts that I started swimming about 3 yrs ago when I retired and worked fromthe TI book then from March 2010 had a few lessons with TI in an endless pool after these I was able to do 2k non stop in 1hr 3m fastest but I then switched to Swim Therapy due sadly to Ian Smiths untimely death.My first swim at swim therapy again in an endless pool Dec 2011 was disapointing lots of pausing and sinking but the result of this was I inadvertantly just concentrated on drills and soon I found I couldn't do more than 2 or 3 lengths without stopping I had become a technique junky .
(All the videos are on you tube google "John Woodward Swimming" my account name is woodwards26)

Then I found Swimsmooth and this forum but just observed for a while becoming more active late last year ,buying the book ,dvd,fins and tt but still struggling with endurance.Then I think it was Mike that posted he had just done his first 1650 non stop and Harry decided to try it.This coincided with Pauls kind offer to do a session with me when he came to the uk so I had to sort myself out!
First I worked with the bambino guide but struggled with the 200m swims then I decided to join Harry with the 0-1650(I did find it hard to ignore technique tho it looks like I succeeded :lol: ) and for the six weeks leading up to seeing Paul swam 6 days most weeks 3 of the 0-1650 and 3 bambino.On the Thursday before seeing Paul I was on week 6 day 2 so a 1200 was the longest swim.I did day three this Tuesday after seeing Paul.

After the 200mswim you see analysed on the video Paull Worked with me for an hour on all the points he commented on I was even fitted up with head phones so he was able to talk to me as I did the drills.He had me using paddles as in the recent blog post,swimming on my side,working on timing to keep one hand always in front of my head,ballet kick ,torpedo kick ,sink downs so I got to the bottom of the pool and lots more.

Now when I put the two together 0-1650 and Pauls coaching I can swim longer sets and work on the technique Paul has shown me as I swim.

I did my 1650 this Tuesday and today did 2k in 54mins with lots of poor side lengths and focus on all Pauls points .The one thing I will always do in the future is to include endurance swims in my swimming sessions.

For anyone who is considering a swim smooth analysis don't Think any longer get it booked and if like me you are struggling with endurance thed do the 0-1650 or something similar.

Woody

Ps Arnie early to bed for me tonight :D

Hello Woodie,
I read your thread with much interest, I seem to have similar issues to the ones discussed here. You can see some video I posted here :
http://www.swimsmoothforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2912&start=20
What kind of drills did you do to prevent over-rotation, did this solve the scissor kick and how does your stroke look like now ? All the best and thanks for sharing this video with us !
Homo Sapiens Arnieus ; started triathlon in 2013

woody

Postby woody » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Breizh
Your swimming looks a lot better than mine !

After Paul's analysis I spent a few months working on his advice and got my CSS down from 2m 30s to 2m 17 s but it's easy to be lazy and take too much recovery time by yourself. The main drills were and stil are swimming on side, broken arrow , sculling and doggy paddle.
I tried a local swim coach a really good swimmer just missed the 2012 Olympic time but he wore me out trying to make me kick harder and faster . But then thro Paul's advice I joined swimsmooth Lancaster squad https://twitter.com/activeblu/status/448223930189635584 .
In the weeks preceding the squad starting I worked with the sessions from the back of the book and was hard on myself . With one CSS one technique and one endurance a week with the warm ups and cool downs I managed to get my CSS down to 2m14s at the start if the 10 week squad session.
The 10 weeks finished a couple of weeks ago and the final CSS was 2 m 08s but the 200 and 400 times had dropped a lot too 3m59 and 8m15s . At 61 my aim is to be significantly under 2m as a CSS 1m50 would be great.
So I have signed up for anothe 10 weeks and hopefully can shave another 6 secs of it.
Bilateral still evades me so I am having a video analysis on May 1st and hopefully that and the squad sessions will sort it.

if you can't join a squad I would just advise be consistent 3 to 4 times a week using the sessions from the back of the book. One technique . One CSS and one endurance but don't be soft on yourself as I was.
Happy swimming
Woody
Everything is won or lost inside your own head.

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

Breizh Arnie

Postby Breizh Arnie » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:17 pm

woody wrote:Hi Breizh
Your swimming looks a lot better than mine !
Woody

Hello Woody and everyone reading, thanks for your encouraging words. I realize some progress has been made over the last months, but the most challenging feature remains : tension ! Breaststroke feels so relaxed in comparison ! You may have noticed in the video that I am way below the surface at all times. Probably a lack of natural flotation combined with poor kicking technique, legs dropping etc. When I go to breathe there is no way I can find air, not to mention a "trough" when my head is below the surface, so I have to twist my neck to do what I call "turtle breathing" and press my front arm to help lift my head above the surface. This really does great damage to the stroke, with scissor kick, dropping legs etc.

With the help of fins or a pull buoy and a solidly extended front arm I'm still trying to find a way to breathe in a relaxed manner leaving one goggle under the surface, which sometimes does work.

At this stage I'm back to lesson 1 of the Arnie guide, trying to fix this breathing problem. I no longer try to swim distances, there is no point tunneling through water like this and developing bad habits if I cannot relax and breathe properly. Perhaps I should swim longer sets, on the contrary and do fewer drills, I'm not sure.
There are currently no SS teachers in France but videos and posting on this forum have helped a lot. Thanks for your advice and happy swimming !
Homo Sapiens Arnieus ; started triathlon in 2013

Return to “Swim Types!”