Just started using the bambino guide

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Harrybeardie

Re: Just started using the bambino guide

Postby Harrybeardie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi woody, haven't tried the sneaky breathing yet but whilst walking the hound this morning in the pouring rain I was practicing the mantra bubble bubble breathe on breath I was pulling the popeye face, fortunately I didn't see anyone or else I might get a knock on the door to cart me off :lol: :lol: happy new year Harry

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:37 am

Hi woody how's the guide going, my bilateral breathing has improved I put it down to practicing,but also to increasing my stroke rate, I think repeating bubble bubble breathe has done that for me. Still find I am dropping my arm on my poor side so really working on b b stretch. Have just sent off for some blue zoomers as I can't get on with the larger fins. I think it's in part to swimming in a very small pool. Hope I can move on to 616 with them as I don't find my kick can sustain it without fins. At present I am just kicking on the side, still this helps with stream lining and improves your kick. So I will be on session one for ages yet. Harry

woody

Postby woody » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:29 am

Hi Harry
Happy New Year my swimming has been temporarily interrupted by a bad cold and my mother has come to stay for a couple of weeks.so prob another week before i can get back too it
The other day i was thinking about why i drop my lead arm on my poor side and doing the movement on dry land.I noticed i easily kept my good arm straight but i was having to correct the poor arm by straightening it then i realised i was straightening it from the arm and that my shoulder was not involved. When i consciously pulled my shoulder blades together my arm was in a much better position. On the good side i was doing this automatically.
Of course the guide tells you to keep posture by pulling shoulder blades together but it seems i am not doing on my poor side.Need to get back in the pool and test my theory.
woody
Everything is won or lost inside your own head.

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Interesting point woody, will try it next time I am in the pool. Hope your cold improves and your back to swimming shortly Harry

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 am

Hi woody, tried the pulling the shoulders back on my less flexible side and although It didn't cure my dropped arm, only tried today, I think you have definitely hit on something as I noticed exactly the same as you on my flexible side my shoulders go back, so something to work at. Zoomers arrived and I had my first go with them today, actually managed 616, getting quite good at it, for me that is, by the end of the session, only did a few lengths didn't want to over do it first time out. I feel I can now get on with the whole of session one. Harry

woody

Postby woody » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi harry
Only just getting back into swimming after having my mother visit . Had 3 sessions this week the guide has really shown up how much work i need to do on my poor side. Still staying on session 1 till i can do 200 m non stop 10 lenghs bilaterally . It has changed my swimming cos if i just breathe to the one side i can swim as far as i want again . After completing the session today I took my time doing extra swim on side just trying to figure out what the difference is poor side is getting better but is still poor. Feels like i am about to get it .
Woody

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 pm

Hi Woody glad to hear you have got back to swimming, does you good to have a break sometimes. Yes, I am too still on session one of the guide. My bilateral is coming along but still a long way to go. I am getting better at the 616 it's a good drill, think my catch is better, don't seem to push down on the water like I used to just doing straight catchup. I have tried to analyse my poor breathing side too and I think it is just the same as it would be if you tried writing with your opposite hand, the brain has got to learn new pathways and at our ages it has too many years if one dominant side. I think flexibility has a lot to do with it too. Most people on this forum and on the TI forum find this aspect the most challenging in front crawl, it just ain't easy. The 616 is such a good drill to help with this, bringing in different aspects of the stroke, my main focus has got to be relaxed inhalation when I breathe. I have decided to start the 0 to one mile in six weeks challenge which is being discussed on the slow down thread on talk swimming. The article and concept are worth a read. One of my main goals is to swim long, want to get in the lake up the road from me in the spring but need to be able to do the distance. The chap that has written the program puts forward the idea that you can get the distance not worrying about your stroke/technique. He suggests that technique can be improved whilst getting the distance and afterwards. Decided to have a go as although I will not give up trying to improve I also want to swim some distance and I think, for me just doing short distances is not going to help. Also, I think you get to get into the stroke if you swim some distance. So have done my first 700 metres, I found it tough but was pleased, doing my second one tomorrow and third on Sunday. Then there are five weeks to go! so il do one session of bambino guide a week and three of the challenge I must be mad. Keep swimming Harry :lol:

woody

Postby woody » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Hi Harry
Just an update of how I am going on.
Last week I did my three sessions of 0-1650 2 as stand alone and one in the middle of a bambino seession one. I also did another 3 bambino session 1.I have started to introduce the tempo trainer into the last two 5min swims which stopps me slowing to too low a rate tho I do only set it on 48spm.

This week the plan is to move to week 2 on the 0-1650 and do them as stand alone m w f but do the bambino session 1 tue/th/sat at easy pace but start thinking about moving to session 2.

So just got back from doung the 900 but the 400 was a struggle if I stayed to left breathing it wuold be relatively easy but Did as 1 left 1 right and odd bilateral resulting in a few 3 breath adjust goggles stops but I did complete. I suppose if I followed the instructions to ignoe technique I would stay to left breathing and do it easily.The 100s went ok just one I stopped at 4 lengths instead of five.And of course the 50s were easy well 40's in my case and the last I did as 20S as fast as I could go.Ended up breathing heavy but felt good.I just have to sort that right hand side out.
I spent last night reading the bambino guide and cross referencing with the book and dvd to make sure I really understand what I should focus on in each of the drills. Got myself confused on the side drills as on the dvd the demo doesn't seem to be head down tho it is clearly meant to be from the guide.What I did notice when swimming the poor side yesterday was that my line felt ok as I went for my first breath but as I put my head back in my bottom leg went wrong and so if I kicked it then sent me all wrong yet on the other side is easy.
In the 5 min play time I did a couple of broken arrow and some body position stuff Charles suggested. I feel I should move to session 2 but this wrong side has to be sorted.
Woody

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:52 am

Hi woody, you are swimming a lot, I am only doing the three sessions for 0-1 mile and one bambino session. Well in truth the bambino session has just turned into practicing bilateral breathing, basically find this enough at present, although when i have finished the mile business i will keep my distance up one day and revert to bambino two days. I have done two of the 900 metre sessions, one more to do on Wednesday, got slightly behind as I couldn't swim last week because of commitments. You say the 400 was tough, the 900 metre only requires you to do 200, it's the third week that you do 400. I tried swimming the 900 bilaterally and failed miserably, although I did get quite a few lengths in which I hadn't with the previous sessions. Mike was saying that he hasn't cracked bilateral yet and others on here also appear to have found it hard. Not sure that I will be able to oxygenate myself breathing every three for long distance. Seem to be able to do about 150 and then it goes to pot. Think I may switch to trying to perfect my poor side unilaterally as swimming bilaterally dosent have to be every three. I have done my ape index and I am -1 from this,swim smooth indicate that I should aim for the swinger style stroke rather than the smooth. Have you done your index? I think I have aimed at the smooth, long stroke rather than the shorter faster one, god another challenge ah well it keeps me off the streets. Harry

woody

Postby woody » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi Harry
Yes it was the 200 not 400 that I had to get a few breaths on tho today as the last bit of the bambino session I did 200 with just one breath at each end.

Today I had a real go at finding what was different one side to the other.I had over the weekend re read all the relevant bits on the guide and in the book.What I picked up was to pull the shoulder blades together and down,well I thought I was pulling them together but what is this down bit I had missed before?

So I did the side drill on my good side and played around with my shoulder blade positions till I understod what down was.If I am right it is like standing agaist a wall pulling them together (feeling your blades onthe wall) then moving them down a touch towards the floor -it makes your chest move up a touch.
Anyway it was easy playing around with on my good side and it did seem as if I was already doing it more or less.So I switched to my poor side and found I was more of a slouch and had to move them a fair bit and it all got significantly better my legs stopped knocking me out of position.
Still work in progress but pleased with.

It seems I miss a lot when I read its all on page 54 fig 10.6

Woody

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:36 am

Hi woody, it's easy to miss bits when reading about technique, it all points to lack of flexibility on our poor sides. Il check the page out. Harry

woody

Postby woody » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Harry
I did week three session one today .I started off dreading the 400 and probably started off too quick had to abandon bilateral at lap three and lap 8 it was stop or breaststroke so I went for breastroke and on 3 other laps.then the 200 2 breastroke but it got easier after that the 100,s were fine as were the 50,s took 33mins.
I cooled down after a few mis rest with a 100 of bubble bubble stretch bilateral to check I could still do.

Well its over but not as good as I wanted next session may not be till Friday.

Also found a facebook group called Zero To 1mile

Woody

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 am

Hi woody, you beat me it took me 33.34, I managed the 400 and the 200, all front crawl but had to inject breast stroke on the 100's and 50's but finished it. All unilateral, my technique I am sure was horrible well it felt it. So wish I could do it bilateral, like you I did some bilateral lengths afterwards and I felt my breathing was so much better, I think after 1100 metres you are truly warmed up. I must try bilateral when I have done the 400 next time. Probably won't do next seSsion till Friday either still a rest is good. God knows how it will be to swim the mile. Harry :lol:

woody

Postby woody » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 pm

Hi Harry
Only 2 swims so far this week both from week 3.So week 3 session 2 today .I managed to do all freestyle and it was between 32 and 33mins not as accurate as you I just have a rotating bezel on my watch.I have abandoned bilateral as the purpose is to build stamina so have decided to leave the bilateral to the bambino sessions.Again it all got easier during the 200 somewhere and by the 100s I could start thinking about style mainly rotation to both sides.But still a lot to do.
A bambino tomorrow probably session 2 and then back to wk3 session 3 on Sunday.
It all ramps up pretty quickly from here tho it is beginning to feel possible maybe if I do it I'll start again but all poor side breathing .
Woody

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi woody, I didn't get to the pool today will go tomorrow. On the thread bilateral breathing one of the forum members reckons he got to bilateral breathing by strictly sticking to it and substituting BStroke when he couldn't do it until gradually he was able to do it reasonably well. He reckons you have to get unilateral out of your muscle memory and the only way to do it is to stop unilateral completely. I am in two minds as to whether I try the next session this way. The only thing is I hate breast stroke and the thought of doing a large portion of 1100 metres breast stroking puts me off. Interesting towards the end you could just start to think about body roll, thats what I found, in the beginning it's just about doing it. I am tempted to stick at the 1100 metres untill I can swim that without stopping eg give myself a few weeks more. I almost feel the point has been made, eg you can swim long if you want to. Will see how it goes tomorrow. Harry

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:24 am

Hi woody, finished week three, no luck with the bilateral, not enough oxygen or skill on the poor side.
I have decided to stick with the 1100 metres, i am going to get up to swimming the 1100 without stopping and leave it at that for the time being. As I run and bike too, I am finding it difficult to fit it all in and I want to do some Bambino. Also I only want at present to swim 750 metres so 1100 is about right in a pool to be able to keep going for 750 in open water. It's been really worthwhile as I can't believe that in three weeks I am doing these distances. Now very comfortable with the four hundred, plan to increase that by 100 metres each week, so in six weeks should be swimming it comfortably, Also hope some of it will be bilateral. I think once you can swim 1000 comfortably then getting up to a mile if you want to won't be a problem. I am also keen to avoid injury. Harry

Janus

Postby Janus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi Harry, I think this is a sensible decision. You have proved that you can do distance, in a matter of weeks too, and I hope this has improved your confidence for the 750m swim. As you say, now is the time to focus on doing the 1100m without stopping and to work on the bambino guide and bilateral. Don't forget to practice sighting at some point too. Good luck and keep us posted...

woody

Postby woody » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi harry well done on finishing week 3. I did mine too and also gave up on bilateral which is as you suggest a skill thing as i don't get enough oxygen on the poor side even when swimming unilaterally to that side. Certainly day one was daunting day two better and day three eased up mid way through the 200.
Unlike you i don't run or cycle not sure how you manage it all! so I am going to keep going but day one of a week always looks daunting .I alternate with bambino ,now doing session two of that struggle a bit with scull 1 it gets a bit too much like breastroke the way i do it or i end up with my arms going like crazy needs more work.The bambino work has certainly got me off the plateau I was on and in the session two I set my tempo to 60 and somehow managed the 200 .
Just noticed my week three is 1200yds a 400 a 200 4x 100 4x 50. Will you be going for a 600 as an opening swim on your build up to 1100 straight i suppose you could follow the weeks but just stop at 1100 so your week 4 would be a 600 a 300 then 2 x 100.
It seems we have both proved to ourselves we can swim further than we believed a couple of weeks ago.
Woody

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:41 am

Hi woody I intend to keep it to 1000 metres for roundness and swim 400 and then three 200 adding 100 each week so 2nd week will be 500 2 x200 x100, then 600 plus 2 x 200 and on until I reach a straight 1000. I am hoping that because I will do it in a gentle way I will be able to concentrate on getting my stroke better as at present, although Ruth says don't worry about technique, it feels scrappy and we are putting all this into our muscle memory, I feel I have achieved the breakthrough which is knowing I can keep going which before defeated me, all psychological I am convinced. Plus as mentioned in previous post 1000 metres is right for what I want to achieve this year and I don't want to injure my arms/shoulders by overloading them. I try to use my back muscles to swim but I think that is another technique challenge as I am not sure I do it. Will pist how i get on as i hope you will. Harry

woody

Postby woody » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi Harry
Week 4 gone and managed it somehow! Day 1 was exhausted after the 600 but kept going probably more breaths than allowed and did the 1500 in 40 mins all unilateral .Day 2 felt easier put the odd bilateral in but time went up to 41mins .Day thre just finished and took my casio watch with me to get more accurate time and again got a few bilateral in once into the swim and my breathing got easier the 600m took 13.42 and finished it all in 37.33 so pleased with self tho was tired at the end.( if I did it in half that time Sun Yang would still be nearly 5 mins quicker)
I did some bambino after each session and had one day of pure bambino what I am finding is that because I can now swim 200 to 300m without too much discomfort I can complete the bambino sessions more effectively.And conversely I can think about style in the 0-1650 sessions once the opening swim has sorted my breathing out.

I had watched some of the swim smooth dvd today and also a marc evans you tube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ysuAlwGifc and managed to think about them a little as I swam.

I think I had got so engrossed in technique that stopping at the end of each length had become a habit thanks for bringing 0-1650 to my attention .

Hope your week went well and you are soon ready for your 750k

Regards
Woody

Return to “Swim Types!”