Just started using the bambino guide

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
woody

Just started using the bambino guide

Postby woody » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:42 am

I have had the bambino guide a week now laminated it and taken it to the pool for six sessions. And also started doing stretch sessions daily.It is great really gives me something to work at.

The biggest issue with my swimming is not being able to swim perpetually (tho a year ago i could but legs low and huge pause even a near stop as I took a breath to the left) .2or 3 lengths of 20 m pool and I am out of breath and need maybe 10 secs breather .The session is therefore mainly done in 2 lengths stints tho i got up to 4 lengths on the sneaky breathing swim tonight.
It has taken me a week to make myself just focus on the one thing the drill says instead of starting the length thinking about my lead arm then somehow focus goes to something else i notice wrong!

I am fortunate that mostly I have the pool to myself so I can use fins and have got pull buoy ,junior paddles and tempo timer in readiness for later drills.

So i have stayed on development session 1 and intend to do this for another week at least before moving on . My thinking is that i shouldn't move to session 2 until i can crack 200m non stop am i doing the right thing?
Woody
Everything is won or lost inside your own head.

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

Harrybeardie

Re: Just started using the bambino guide

Postby Harrybeardie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:49 am

Hi woody, reading this post and your comment about not being able to perpetually swim at present I would make the following comment and wonder what you think. In the thread Arnie with an addiction to fins, solar talks about perpetual swimming and he suggests that he can get anyone to do it, and if I am right in interpreting his theory, he does it by getting people to swim slowly, he also says he dosent care what it looks like. He, I think, advises using a tempo trainer. I have gone back to using a tempo trainer and found that I could swim 6 lengths straight away. I am now moving towards perpetual swimming again after a break learning to breathe bilaterally and improve my kick. I think the key is setting the tempo trainer at a slow rate, breathe bilaterally but in lengths not every three and stay relaxed. Don't focuss on aspects of your stroke, just focuss on beep beep breathe, beep beep breathe etc., keep going and when you can do 400 metres or more you can work on a particular aspect of your stroke. You have said many times that you could swim perpetually, this was because you were swimming at a rate that physically and aerobically you could cope with. I went for a run tonight and deliberately ran 6 miles slowly, I usually run at under 9 minute miling, tonight I made myself run at 10.5 minute per mile, didn't get breathless at all, easy to maintain etc., I am sure it's the same with swimming, get the distance and then tweak your stroke which hopefully will enable one to get quicker. I don't feel we should ever give up striving for a better stroke but I feel personally I am going to get more realistic on the fact that I didn't start swimming untill I was 59 and that I will never get the flexibility that is required to have a really excellent stroke. Solar, did I interprete what you said correctly. Harry :)

woody

Postby woody » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:24 am

Thanks Harry
I am late to swimming too started properly at 56 from books dvd then had first lesson in 2010 at 58 and now am 60.
I think flexibiity is key so have started the ytwl daily as you do plus ankle stretches and a couple more that are in the bambino guide. I do recommend the guide if you haven't already got the relevant type for yourself.

I had another lesson in an endless pool yesterday i will upload prob after christmas .But the fun bit was i told my coach about torpedo push offs so he turned up the motor and we did some and i found i was lifting my leg up from the knee to almost vertical . Before this lesson i went 8 metres on a push off -today I was going 14m. Till yesterday i would not have believed it possible to do a torpedo in an endless pool.
The guide has certainly started to work have started to get a feel as if the water is much thicker i have got a tempo trsiner too but have suspended using till i get a little better. When i first got a couple of weeks ago i found my stroke rate was mid 30 and experimented till I got to 52 and at that managed 1.59 for 5 lengths a first but was out of breath on fifth length.
What stroke rate are you finding works best for you so many on here are well over 60 spm

Regards
Woody

The best time to learn to swim was a long time ago the second best time is today

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:16 am

Hi Harry and Woody!

Harrybeardie wrote:... I think the key is setting the tempo trainer at a slow rate, breathe bilaterally but in lengths not every three and stay relaxed. Don't focuss on aspects of your stroke, just focuss on beep beep breathe, beep beep breathe etc., keep going and when you can do 400 metres or more you can work on a particular aspect of your stroke...

Glad to read your tip about the TT - Solar reckoned I should start at 42, but I think that may be over-optimistic in my case. Before I actually use it, I shall try some dryland simulation at the rate I think I use for front-crawl swimming, and make that my initial setting. Think it may be like Woody first tried - down in the 30's!

Woody wrote:...I am late to swimming too started properly at 56 from books dvd then had first lesson in 2010 at 58 and now am 60...

Harrybeardie wrote:...I am going to get more realistic on the fact that I didn't start swimming untill I was 59 and that I will never get the flexibility that is required to have a really excellent stroke...

I won't say I have reached the stage of "Abandon hope...", but when I take a realistic appraisal at what I can now do, and possible prospects for improvement - things don't look very "rosy"! Am remembering what the cardiac surgeon said to me, in a rather reproving tone after my op - "Your [coronary] arteries were like stone!" - and that was at 73! Have got varicose veins in my legs, so all in all, that doesn't say much good for the rest of my circulation system. Although I started swimming at 21, and was quite enthusiastic till I reached 30, a great lapse followed during which I just swam once per week for exercise. It wasn't till I got to 70 and had angina (but medicated so could manage for a while) and stopped feeling sorry for myself, that I returned to swimming enthusiastically.

I've been trying to relax as much as possible but still concentrating on the "niceties" in my front crawl efforts. The wretched osteo -arthritis "here and there" has got worse -(weakness and pain in my hands now, forcing me to give up my old hobby of playing my Ramirez concert guitar - was a former Andres Segovia/Julian Bream "wanna be"!) Am also now finding that my fly stroke efforts need to be terminated at about 1/2 a length working from deep end towards shallow - not enough "go" now! So to be realistic, am not optimistic that at 76 I shall ever be able to overcome my "puffed out after one length" problem. But they always say "Never say 'never'!" - so there's just that slight ray of hope left. I tried timing my best relaxed 1 length effort recently - ghastly, about 35-37 seconds for 25m, but I ended up without being too puffed to try another length. Oh the degradation that comes with advancing years!

Keep at it lads!

Bye / Don

woody

Postby woody » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 am

Hi don
I got to mid 30 by matching the tempo to my stroke first and then started to increase the timer rate so then i was matching my stroke to the tempo.
But consider this suppose your first rate is 30 and you move up to 45 . At 30 and bilateral there is 6 secs between breaths at 45 there is 4 secs between breaths.
So if you take 36 secs for a lenght at 30spm you only take 6 breaths but at 45 you get 9 breaths so faster stroke rat gives you more oxygen . I have used round nos because math was easier but you get the principle.
I think you may be doing 32 spm and 48 would be better initially if i remember solar suggested 47 to you a while back.

Personally i am working through the stroke guide and havent got to the bit where the tempo is needed yet. If you havent got a guide you must get as going back to basics is starting to sort me out.the most dificult bit is just concentrating on one thing at a time .

In my local pool there is a guy of 77 who was told he needed a by pass op a few years back but he didnt like the idea of maybe dying on the table so he took up a healthiier lifestyle and breast stroke swimming an hour daily then about 3 years ago moved to crawl .Then a couple of years ago he told me i must breath bilaterally cos he had just learnt to do and it calmed it all down for him .at that time he was doing 80 lenghts in an hr 20 m pool .In the last twelve weeks six days a week he has done 130 lengths in the same time and at a recent check up his doctor has said no need for any op.
He puts me to shame
Woody

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:17 am

Hi guys, woody I am still practicing to find my sweet spot re stroke rate haven't been able to swim for a couple of weeks so have only tried once. Like you stroke rate low felt most comfortable at 36/40 am going to try that rate to swim perpetually. My goal is to swim 800metres in open water, lake, so I can do a triathalon. I know I can go that length as I have got up to it before, like you though breathing unilaterally and probably with not so great a stoke. Wearing a wet suit helps though I have found. I do feel that by stopping distance and focussing on kick and bilateral breathing has improved my stroke. I think I started as a bambino but have moved on in that I have quite a good body roll and stretch, I can catch the water as well, elbows quite high. Maybe a bit of an over glider have got the swimsmooth DVDs including catch master class and also got the book recently. Are the guides much more in depth? Than in the book ? could get the bambino one as they say I f your between types to start at what you started at. I just think that if you want to swim perpetually you have to do it initially within your aerobic capacity and that for me and you I suspect would be 36/40. By building distance at this level you will then be able to improve time by tweaking your stroke. I know it sounds slow probably between ten and twelve minutes for 400 metres but I think for me and our age group trying to hit the rates per hundred metres that are banded about on swim smooth are for very good swimmers who are a lot younger. One of the girls I run with does a 7 minute 400 metre swim, she has swam since childhood, swam at county Level, mother a swim teacher, she is flexible as hell and is 53. Last year she qualified in her age group for iron man kona. I tell this tale to demonstrate what I am beginning to suspect that at our age we may have to be content with swimming a lot slower than we'd like. I'd be more happy to swim 400 metres in ten minutes with the possibility of going to nine.

Don I think you prove the point you said by going very slow you didnt feel puffed, you could probably swim perpetually if you set your tempo trainer at an appropriate low level. Solar says that the reason older people at pools can swim forever
Is because they are swimming slowly. We are trying to swim too fast for our swim fitness. I looed at the exrplanation in the swim smooth book to detect your CSS level, well for people like us you can't do it because you have to swim distance to work it out, what does that tell us?

I am going to ask solar on a new question so he sees it the actual master class for swimming slowly! :lol:

Ps Don you say you were timing yourself at 35/37 seconds per 25 metre that works out to 9.33 minutes per 400. I would say that would be a wonderfully time for 400 metres given your medical condition, it tells me again that you are swimming to fast for your aerobic swimming state. If you set your tempo trainer lower than that say 30/32 I bet you could do two lengths and probably more. That's your Xmas challenge. Will let you knw how I get on, I may be eating my words in a couple of weeks. Harry

Pps woody how fast does the guy you were telling us about swim?

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:23 pm

Guys, I would need to give this a try, I may be wrong, but I believe that no one should go sub 40spm, for a decent economy to be reached. I may be wrong though, let's use these few threads (SmoothArnie's one, + a few more) to study this. Mid 30? Hmmm, I'll try this. That could work. But low 30, that I donno. This is very low. Let's put it this way, it could work under some exceptional circumstances, but these remain exceptions. Let me think... 30x 25strokes per 25m = 25sec + 3sec off the wall = 28sec per 25m = 58sec per 50 = 2min per 100m... Seen this way, it makes sense after all. But I do have to get a few swimmers of various types to try and see how hard it would be to remain on balance at that rate.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:21 am

Hi folks!

SolarEnergy wrote:...I believe that no one should go sub 40spm, for a decent economy to be reached. ... But low 30,... This is very low. ... Let me think... 30x 25strokes per 25m = 25sec + 3sec off the wall = 28sec per 25m = 58sec per 50 = 2min per 100m...

Solar has "lost me" with his numbers! We want time in secs/length as output (assuming conveniently that it takes 25 arm strokes per 25m length) so need to specify the input "units" to ensure we get the right units out - like this, taking a TT rate of 30 : [(60 secs)/(30 beeps of TT i.e. arm strokes)]x{25 arm strokes/length] (so cancelling out balancing "like" units) = 50 secs/length - a rather slow swimmer! I.E. not the 25 secs that Solar stated, due to not clearly putting in the units with each number!

Purchased the "Over-glider" guide during my initial discovery of the SS website, but quickly realized it was unsuitable for me 'cos of my limitations. I think I do tend to "try and swim like a young buck" still , and of course it's "not on" now in my case. So when Santa has delivered the long-awaited TT, I shall have to adhere to a more sensible pace - I still think Solar recommended 42 for me!

Feel more relaxed with a continual gentle exhalation through a wide open mouth (am a nose-clip bod) during the 2 exhalation strokes of 3 stroke bilateral. When I do unilateral during my "catch-up" drills, I never feel as if I have enough time to exhale properly, before stroke mechanics make it time for the next inhalation - although by really slowing down, that is not so much of a problem!

I sometimes wonder if the short time it takes after each inhalation, before we can "benefit" from the blood re-oxygenation, varies with age or person to person - 'cos of my preference for slow exhalations - maybe I take longer than some others to "benefit" from the inhalation!?

Still find it necessary to roll a bit more away from the stroking arm when inhaling on my "less-happy" side, than on the "happy side". On the latter I can easily see the bow wave trough, but this is barely perceptible on the "less-happy" side - think this may be due to my "kinky" neck (a permanent approx 10 degree skeletal tilt of my head towards the "happy side" (something the optician remarked on, at a recent eye test). Ah well, some us can't help being stranger than others! :)

Bye / Don
Last edited by Don Wright on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:00 am, edited 4 times in total.

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:44 am

Solar what your suggesting equates to an 8 minute 400 metres dosent it, yet you advise slow swimming this is not slow for older people I would suggest that a ten minute 400 metre so 2.5 minutes per hundred would be nearer the mark. I have swum as slow as A 12 minute 400 hundred. In minutes per hundred metres what actually do you say is slow? When you advise slow swimming I am not sure I am on the same wave length for me to achieve An eight minute four hundred metres would be fast not slow Harry

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:51 pm

Don Wright wrote:Hi folks!

SolarEnergy wrote:...I believe that no one should go sub 40spm, for a decent economy to be reached. ... But low 30,... This is very low. ... Let me think... 30x 25strokes per 25m = 25sec + 3sec off the wall = 28sec per 25m = 58sec per 50 = 2min per 100m...

Solar has "lost me" with his numbers! We want time in secs/length as output (assuming conveniently that it takes 25 arm strokes per 25m length) so need to specify the input "units" to ensure we get the right units out - like this, taking a TT rate of 30 : [(60 secs)/(30 beeps of TT i.e. arm strokes)]x{25 arm strokes/length] (so cancelling out balancing "like" units) = 50 secs/length - a rather slow swimmer! I.E. not the 25 secs that Solar stated, due to not clearly putting in the units with each number!
You're totally right, I'm sorry. I really suck at math.
[/quote]
SolarEnergy

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi "SolarEnergy"!

Dont worry - you're good at other more useful things! But putting the units in alongside numbers in products/division etc, does help prevent getting the wrong answer out at the end. One can strike out all "like" units that appear as both a numerator and denominator pair, even if alongside other numbers - and that leaves the correct units of the answer, all you have to do then, is do the arithmetic correctly! :)

Bye / Don

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:00 am

I've chat with a man training for the 1500 (72yo), who's rarely training over distances greater than 25m at the time.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I keep studying this case, and even fancy developing a strong specialty in helping people to overcome this sort of obstacle.
SolarEnergy

Don Wright

Postby Don Wright » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:54 am

Hi "SolarEnergy"!

I was just composing a reply, when my wretched PC (A Dell Inspiron using O/S Vista) decided it was going to shut down to do Windows updates - I hate it when the wretched system just puts a little "warning box" about impending shutdown in the bottom R.H. corner of the screen, without sounding a warning bell!. If one is concentrating on typing in a post or email, the presence of the little "warning box" can easily be missed! :evil:

What I was going to say before my PC's rude interruption, was that some of us more "mature" folks at the other end of the swimming spectrum, are deeply grateful for your advice - keep it c0ming please!

Despite my worries over pushing on too much beyond my "comfort zone", because of my heart pounding crazily and being badly breathless after just one length of F.C. - it must be possible for me to swim F.C. "perpetually" on the tum, given that I can do it effortlessly on my back with the old E.B. You must be 100% right in encouraging us to slow down, to keep within our capabilities. Unfortunately, in a couple of other posts/topics, I wasn't joking when I said "I get 'puffed out' just putting my socks and shoes on!", and am now hearing unwelcome clicky "dry joint" noises at the shoulders when I swing the arms around. Yeah! - am taking the pills (Glocosamine and fish oil capsules) more in hope than belief - some recent studies have "pooh-poohed" their efficacy!

At present, until I get my TT, am concentrating on making each F.C. length as relaxed as possible, whether doing it on my "proper" stroke ...

(with casual small amplitude "pitter-patter" leg flutter, and 3-stroke bilateral breathing [I really feel happier with the longer exhalation time]) -

... or doing lengths of almost full "catch-up"...

(with a proper 2-beat kick, and normal unilateral breathing [not so happy with the smaller exhalation time, but inhaling after more arm strokes is a bit longer to go, 'cos my "catch-up" is slower than doing the proper stroke])

... and am feeling happier now about "pushing on" to do more laps without the end of length "pit-stop".

I live in hope that one very happy day, will be able to add a post to the "i've done it, I've done it!" topic!

Bye / Don

woody

Postby woody » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:27 pm

My last session after working on bambino guide for eight days First bit is breastroke which I wanted to use as warm up cos I think my freestyle improves after awarm up and I didn't want to be filmed prior to warm up.
I do think the bambino guide is starting to work.

Most interesting and fun doing in an endless pool! :o is torpedo (at just over 8 mins in to the video) how I was kicking from the knee funny thing is I can had practised thet the toe tapping but I still I kick from the knee ! toe tapping somewhere but not in right place.
It may be 30 mins after I post before the link works hope it helps others having similar issues.

http://youtu.be/Tn7GMilT4Js

Woody

cottmiler

Postby cottmiler » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks for sharing that with us; we can see improvements taking effect and look forward to further chapters of your swimming journey.

I liked the breaststroke session and although my breaststroke was better than the crawl, I doubt whether I could keep up momentum during the complete stroke cycle in an endless pool as you clearly did. I think that during the glide phase I would slow down and go backwards in such a pool.
cottmiler is also on swim.palstani.com

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:43 am

Hi Woody, thanks for sharing your video, I think your catch is better than your last posting, thanks for sharing it. I was going to post tonight to ask you how you were getting on with the bambino Guide, I did the test and found out I was bambino plus part overglider so I downloaded the bambino Guide today and have just been reading it. I want to ask you how you are getting on using the fins, do you find them good and did you get Finnis ones that swim smooth recommend. I am wary of fins because I have got cramp before but without them I find the 616 etc difficult as although my kick has improved a lot it's still not good enough to do some drills successfully. I have joined a gym with a pool as my local council pools are funny about equipment of any sort, only problem is it's only 18 metres but it's quite good for doing drills when learning as its not so tiring. I have managed to swim up to 300 metres again, but I realise that I need to still work on my stroke, my rate needs to go up. Il let you know how I get on with the Guide, first impressions are that it looks good and I just need to discipline myself to work on each portion till I have it so to speak. Harry

Mike A

Postby Mike A » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks for posting Woody. With the glide thing in breaststroke, a good drill to do is the one where you do two kicks before each arm pull; in other words, you kick once as you push your arms forward, then instead of doing the pull you keep your arms extended in streamline and do another kick. Only after the second kick do you pull with the arms. It really gets you used to that streamlined glide position.

The key thing with breaststroke is that when the arms are recovering (ie going forwards) the legs are kicking, and when the legs are recovering (ie knees going forwards) the arms are pulling. This helps offset any drag.

I think your glide phase could benefit from looking down at the bottom more; this should enable a more streamlined position. The same applies to your torpedo kick; maybe some flexibility issues, but your elbows should really be just behind your ears rather than in front.

The coach is right about extending more; it looks to me like you have a problem particularly with your left arm not wanting to straighten - there is always a bend at the elbow. I guess this could either be an arm or a shoulder flexibility issue (perhaps related to an injury?).

I also see quite a substantial scissor kick when you breath.

I can see considerable improvements in your freestyle - keep going, and keep posting. Will be really interesting to see how you get on with the SwimSmooth guys!
Why not join your SwimSmooth Forum friends at swim.palstani.com

woody

Postby woody » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks all
Harry I did have some short zoggs but after I got the guide I bought thro swimsmooth the proper ones as recommended.It did take a couple of sessions to get used to and cramp did return after 1 and half lengths but i just stopped and took off pressed toes against wall and restarted, I had this when i started with shorter ones at first. But now after 10 sessions still in 1st set and having increased my ytwl and ankle stretches as the plan i can do for much longer just occasionally it returns but is sorted in few secs. So do the stretches both the foot ones and kick gently,

I am going to stay on session 1 till i crack it especially swimming on my left side as Mike A says my left arm stays bent. No injury mike its just lazy! As soon as i take concentration off it i seem to stop stretching from the left shoulder.hopefully the ytwl exercises will kick in soon and improve my flexibility . When doing them my arms are just about in line with my ears unless I cheat and move my head .Tho in the torpedo I think I should be tucking my chin down to get arms behind ears.
Woody

Harrybeardie

Postby Harrybeardie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:43 pm

Hi woody thanks for the advice re fins, I have too decided to stay on session one until I feel completely competent in all aspects, they do say to rather than moving on too quickly. I think the discipline will be good. They also stress how important the first session is to build a base for the next ones. Have had my first session today, just concentrated on sink downs and bubble bubble breathe, torpedo and swim backs till I get my fins. I did quite a few lengths of bilateral and feel that my stroke rate increased and felt easier, with more feel in the catch also, don't know whether I was imagining it. Regarding the torpedo, I don't know whether I will ever get my arms behind my ears I think you need to be very young and supple, still I am still doing the stretches and I don't feel like I have been on the rack anymore so more flexibility may be present. Bit wary about the ankle stretches as I don't want to injure myself for running. I think I have pretty flexible ankles in any case as I don't have problems with feet pointing downward. I have done a lot of dry land flutter kicking, on the coach watching television, which I think has helped. However my partner is getting fed up with this as apparently it's quite disturbing to television watching, :lol: :lol: Well let's hope that the New Year brings us swimming success. Harry. P.S whilst trying to stretch out with your left arm that isn't straight don't overly lengthen your stroke, I made this mistake and started putting the brakes on rather than developing a good catch, it turns you into an overglider which makes bilateral breathing harder, I realise now reading the whole bambino guide that this is probably what has stopped me from progressing, despite having the box sets and catch master class it has only really now hit home. However it's not all bad as I got a good body roll from it and certainly feel more like a stick of liquorice, eg stream lined than what I did. So stretch but not too long!

woody

Postby woody » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi harry
Yes I annoy my partner by practising stuff too mine is practising dropping into the catch! Too make it up to her take her on a nice warner break to alvaston hall in cheshire she can visit chester whilst you use the pool tho she might see through it! Cos they specialise in hols for older folk the Pool is quite often empty in the evenings.
The guide does make you concentrate on one thing at a time I have laminated mine and just take the relevant pages 11to 16 and read about each drill before i do even tho i have done 10 times and know off by heart now. My main struggle is swimming on my left side I still cant get fully on my side but it is improving.on my right is great but left only 2/3 round .Solar suggested doing it just off my back without fins till i could master that then move more to side that has helped too.
The best bit for me is the two five min swims at the end they are getting easier specially the sneaky breathing.
Woody

Return to “Swim Types!”