Bambino in need of a little help - or a lot :-)

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Debra

Bambino in need of a little help - or a lot :-)

Postby Debra » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:02 pm

A bit of background - I'm in my late forties and have started swimming again - perhaps I should clarify ....again......I swam at school...a lot... which was some decades ago. Looking at the swim types on your site, its quite clear I'm a bambino, quite happy in the water though. Think Mr Smooth console is a great help and now have got a coach - two lessons over the past two months as she's been a bit busy with competitions etc, she feels I've improved from first flap about in the pool, which I'm very pleased about, thanks to her coaching but also to your website and the fab Mr Smooth! She did say however, that I need to keep my arm about 4 inchs away from my body when lifting my arm out to stroke.....
There are three of us taking lessons, two bambinos and one kicktastic. The girls say I kick very "ladylike"..... and I have to say our kicktastic swims considerably faster than us, having said that if I go any slower I'd probably be going backwards! We have been practicing our drills in between lessons. My question is this, I find it fairly natural to breathe on the one side but on the other side I can feel my legs drop and I need to lift my head a bit. The girls said it looks like I'm stretching my arm out to far. What am I doing wrong? ...........you're probably thinking.......where do we start Deb, but I'll be a "swimmer" yet - it may take a while but hey ho - Happy days!!!! 8-) Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated. :D
Thanks Deb

gavinp

Re: Bambino in need of a little help - or a lot :-)

Postby gavinp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi :)

Sounds like you are doing well so far, keep it up :D

Like a lot of people,breathing to the 'new' side (i.e. when learning to breath bilaterally), it feels strange and you will probably be lifting your head up rather than turning it to the side. If you lift your head up then your legs will drop, so relax and turn your head rather than lift.

What I actually think you are expereiencing though is your legs scissor kicking rather than sinking. This is caused by crossing over with the lead arm.

All speculation though as I can't see you from here ;)
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Debra

Postby Debra » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks for your quick response, I'll think on that and try and be aware of the cross over arm. Without over analysing the whole thing! I'll have a looksee over the site and see what I can find on scissor kicks. How long does it take the average bambino to learn to swim an efficient freestyle swimming twice a week?
:)

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:54 pm

Debra wrote:Thanks for your quick response, I'll think on that and try and be aware of the cross over arm. Without over analysing the whole thing! I'll have a looksee over the site and see what I can find on scissor kicks. How long does it take the average bambino to learn to swim an efficient freestyle swimming twice a week?
:)

Hi Debra

There is no magic formula i'm afraid (not that I know of) as everyone develops differently, but I normally see a vast improvement over the first few months when teaching technique sessions weekly and the fitness comes along too.

What is it that you are training for? and are you aiming to just finish or get a good time?
Are you getting coached for technique or is there some form of weekly session in there too?

Debra

Postby Debra » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:18 pm

We aren't training for anything. My goal is to swim well enough to be very comfortable and efficient, and to increase my fitness levels considerably. I usually do a charity run here and there (Race for life) and if a charity swim or local event popped up I'd love to have the know how and confidence to participate. I'm just a bambino...... :D
For me swimming is exhilarating, as it was when I was younger, so many women I speak to about swimming instead of "gymming" say - oh I wish I could swim, can you teach me? Er! No dear, not this year. :lol:

Debra

Postby Debra » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Sorry I should have said, our coach is working through a Freestyle drill key sheet with us once a week, and the 3 students have a practice session on our own once a week.

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:16 pm

Bambinos are awesome swimmers though so dont put yourself down :P and you are obviously catching the attention of other swimmers as a good example of how to swim well if they want you to teach them 8-)

There are loads of events out there now and it's always good to have something to aim for, so rather than just swimming to get good, have a goal. Why not try open water? I suspect you would be great at these too.

Whatever you decide, have fun!

jenniferLH

Postby jenniferLH » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:51 pm

[quote="gavinp"]Bambinos are awesome swimmers though so dont put yourself down :P and you are obviously catching the attention of other swimmers as a good example of how to swim well if they want you to teach them 8-)

Hi gavinp,
I am curious about your statement above that Bambinos are awesome swimmers. What makes you say that? Or were you maybe kidding? I am asking as a Bambino, one who swam as a kid/youth, and then left it until my mid 30s. At the pool, I always get told how well I swim, even by perfect strangers. BUT! I had video analysis done last week and I can't believe how terrible it was. So - what is it that the others see (clearly not elite swimmers themselves ;-) and that prompted you to make that comment?
Cheers, Jennifer

Debra

Postby Debra » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:04 am

Hi Jennifer

I know you are waiting on a response from gavinp, and I'm looking forward seeing what he has to say. :D I just wanted to say well done you, I wish we had Smim Smooth here in Edinburgh Scotland, I'm sure your video isn't that bad, think we are pretty hard on ourselves. Had a coach for a short time last year but it didn't work out with her work load. It's a pity, nevertheless just doing my thing.

gavinp:

You mentioned some time back I should have a goal, just thought I give you some feedback. Open water is not for me :lol: however, Sport Relief and SwimBritain are great for getting family, friends and work colleagues into swimming and you get to push yourself considerably. I cannot believe how much I love swimming, it's been a great continual learning experience, little bit like learning a new language, it takes time and practice and then some. Should have been a swimming coach! Joking, anyway, enough said.

Cheers for now

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi Ladies,

Blimey! I last commented on this back in July last year.. :?

Well, to answer you both fairly, I am part Bambino! (though one that can cover 1500m in about 21-23 minutes these days with 2-3 swims a week if i'm lucky! oh and at 45years old too) So I honestly wasn't joking Jennifer :D I will also say that, as a coach myself it is my job to praise and encourage, which I am happy to say I could do pretty much every day on this forum when I hear peoples stories of their path to better swimming :D

I'm assuming that you have read the Bambino swim type guide? http://www.swimtypes.com/bambino.html

Well, you'll gather from this that Bambinos have great opportunity to improve their stroke and build great technique. It sounds like you are on your way Jennifer - but video analysis bares even the best swimmers soul completely! As a Bambino you will possibly be lacking in confidence when you swim (even when others think you have a good technique), but you need to be aware that everyone has flaws when they swim - and if you have followed any of the threads on this forum you will see lots of discussion about the pro's and their (sometimes atrocious) swim technique as well as about others beginning their swim journey.

Hope that answers your question a little :? At the end of the day, I'm just quite passionate about helping is all, which is why I'm here :)

Debra, Ah it's a shame! open water swimming is the best!! :D There's a swim smooth coach in Lanark, Strathclyde if that's any good to you?

http://www.c3triathlon.com/1-2-1-swim-smooth-analysis-and-stroke-correction/

If ever either of you are in or passing through Northampton I'll be happy to put you through your paces! or just to have a chat about swimming and a coffee :)

Have fun!

jenniferLH

Postby jenniferLH » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:24 pm

I just love all the positive comments and feedback in this forum!. It is so motivating. Thanks guys!

Return to “Swim Types!”