Struggling to understand - Overglider v Smooth

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
NotThatTypeOfArnie

Struggling to understand - Overglider v Smooth

Postby NotThatTypeOfArnie » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:11 pm

On the "discover your swim type" I get two readings depending ONLY on the time to complete 400m.

I swim at pretty much 16 SPL on a 25SCM pool. Very much "front-quadrant" style. 6ft 1in with +2 inch wingspan. Male age 46.

My cruising speed which I can keep up for 10k is around 1.45/100. This with a 2BK, breathing only to one side, better on the right, but can switch left if I need to. Roughly 45 spm. At this speed I am apparently an overglider.

For 200m-400m (once even for 1500m) I can do ~1.20/100m but need to step up to a 6BK, still keeping 16SPL breathing bilaterally on every 3rd stroke at roughly 60spm. But this is "fast" swimming for me and not really comfortable for my fitness level/age/athletic ability. At this speed I am apparently smooth.

In the pool I can go as fast as 1.10/100 or so for 50m. This is my "sprint speed".

I am not an athletic person, never have been, but I have decent co-ordination. Currently somewhat overweight. Triathlon sounds like fun except for the cycling and running bits. Never swam competitively as a child. Hate groups and swim clubs. Love nothing more than being in a pool or lake all by myself and moving smoothly and quietly.

I do better in open water than my pool times would suggest I tend to pass a lot of people in choppy conditions, but obviously prefer flat water.

So am I a smooth or overglider? Is overgliding what overweight smooths do?

SolarEnergy

Re: Struggling to understand - Overglider v Smooth

Postby SolarEnergy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:08 pm

You're definitely Smooth according to SwimSmooth's classification. Now that doesn't mean that Smooth type never show a tendency for overgliding though. But it's being handled in the Smooth type correction guide. I'd keep the Overglider type correction guide for those who may display a stroke rate similar as yours (~45spm) but don't have nearly as much speed.

Caveat: I'm not a certified coach.
But in my mind, anyone capable of generating 1:10 worth of pure speed over 100m LCM certainly has smooth stroke characteristics. Add to this the ability to hold 1:45/100m for 10k? This can't be achieved by a classic overglider. It can indeed be achieved by a Smooth with overgliding tendencies though.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

Annie Swing Smooth

Postby Annie Swing Smooth » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:06 pm

NotThatTypeOfArnie wrote:On the "discover your swim type" I get two readings depending ONLY on the time to complete 400m.

I swim at pretty much 16 SPL on a 25SCM pool. Very much "front-quadrant" style. 6ft 1in with +2 inch wingspan. Male age 46.

My cruising speed which I can keep up for 10k is around 1.45/100. This with a 2BK, breathing only to one side, better on the right, but can switch left if I need to. Roughly 45 spm. At this speed I am apparently an overglider.

For 200m-400m (once even for 1500m) I can do ~1.20/100m but need to step up to a 6BK, still keeping 16SPL breathing bilaterally on every 3rd stroke at roughly 60spm. But this is "fast" swimming for me and not really comfortable for my fitness level/age/athletic ability. At this speed I am apparently smooth.

In the pool I can go as fast as 1.10/100 or so for 50m. This is my "sprint speed".

I am not an athletic person, never have been, but I have decent co-ordination. Currently somewhat overweight. Triathlon sounds like fun except for the cycling and running bits. Never swam competitively as a child. Hate groups and swim clubs. Love nothing more than being in a pool or lake all by myself and moving smoothly and quietly.

I do better in open water than my pool times would suggest I tend to pass a lot of people in choppy conditions, but obviously prefer flat water.

So am I a smooth or overglider? Is overgliding what overweight smooths do?

I would also second Solar's answer. It seems you're a Smooth with overglider tendencies! Sharpen up your catch and increase your stroke rate to around 60-70, coupled with some CSS training and you'll fly for 10k!
Swim Smooth Coach and Project Leader
Swimming, Triathlon & Open Water Coach

for the latest Swim Smooth gossip follow me @SwimSmoothAnnie and @swimsmooth

NotThatTypeOfArnie

Postby NotThatTypeOfArnie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:58 pm

Hmm, well I would have flown for 3k then had a heart attack and slowed down a bit. Failing a heart attack my arms would have detached at the shoulders as the ligaments gave out.

I have dropped 11kg so far, with another 14 to go by next summer. My "comfortable" distance pace has gone from ~1.45 to ~1.35 but still maintaining a 2bk, which I think is essential for distance swimming, and also with wetsuit swimming where I think kicking gives even worse returns on energy expended than it does in the pool.

After losing another 14kg I'm hoping I can get my training pace around 1.20 with my 10k pace down to around 1.30. I would be VERY happy with a 2.30 marathon - one can dream! We'll see next year.

I have no particular objection to getting my stroke rate up as long as it's not life-threatening. :)

Return to “Swim Types!”