half and half

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
peggy77

half and half

Postby peggy77 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Hey everyone i am new to this site so i am hoping i can improve myself. I have been trying to swim now for 2 years, ok i have now improved alot considering i could not put my head under the water when i first started. But the problem seams to be that i can t relax as such as i still have the fear that i still might drown as such so i am a bambino in my head and an arnie in my body.
Ok i can now swim 20 m on my own but then have to stop for a pause as its not possible to continue.
If there is anything that you would really think would benefit me please feel free to tell me.
Thanks

smootharnie

Re: half and half

Postby smootharnie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:50 pm

look at the thread very bew beginner.
You have skipped a few steps in the past time if you are still stuck at 20 m.
Get it in your head that swimming is nothing more than floating + propulsion.
A car must first have wheels before you can use the engine.
If you can float more tham 20 m you have already improved your distance.
The propulsion can be more or less eficient, but adding even a little propulsion will get a floating body farther then 20 m.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

Karlstine

Postby Karlstine » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Well put Smootharnie.

Annie Swing Smooth

Postby Annie Swing Smooth » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:48 am

peggy77 wrote:Hey everyone i am new to this site so i am hoping i can improve myself. I have been trying to swim now for 2 years, ok i have now improved alot considering i could not put my head under the water when i first started. But the problem seams to be that i can t relax as such as i still have the fear that i still might drown as such so i am a bambino in my head and an arnie in my body.
Ok i can now swim 20 m on my own but then have to stop for a pause as its not possible to continue.
If there is anything that you would really think would benefit me please feel free to tell me.
Thanks

Hi Peggy77

This combination is more common than you might think! Really good advice from Smootharnie, do try to relax in the water and learn to love it rather than fight it. Try these exhalation exercises: http://www.swimsmooth.com/exhalation.html and look at the adice on www.swimtypes.com at both Bamino and Arnie. Once you've got really comfortable getting your head under the water and sinking down by smoothly exhaling, try bouncing up and down like this in the deep end- take a look around- it's actually quite serene! When you've mastered this then you can start tuning up your exhalation whilst moving through the water with exercises such as bubble-bubble-breathe etc.

I hope that helps and let me know how you get on!
Swim Smooth Coach and Project Leader
Swimming, Triathlon & Open Water Coach

for the latest Swim Smooth gossip follow me @SwimSmoothAnnie and @swimsmooth

Return to “Swim Types!”