Another post about finding my swimtype.

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Biccbacc

Another post about finding my swimtype.

Postby Biccbacc » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:40 am

Hi. I really want to improve my swimming, and I want to buy the correct guide for my swimtype, but before i do that I want to make sure about what type I am!

I did a video some time ago, and my swimming has improved since then (I hope!) but I dont have any newer videos yet.

Here is the old video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SQA3cf_hA

I have used the questionare to figure out what swimtype i am, but the strokerate question is a bit confusing. I swim in a 25m pool. After a turn i kick off from the wall, I then glide a little before i start swimming. So from one side of the pool to the other I use 20 strokes (counted today). But my strokerate is 53. For a 400m i use 32seconds across the pool, that means that without the kick from the wall i would use almost 30 strokes to cover 25m.
This means that the questionare tells me that i am eiter a overglider, an arnie or a bambino. And from reading the description, I feel that they all fit to some degree.

Can someone clarify?

To help I would like to say that i can swim shorter distances relatively fast (1:45 for 100m), but this slows down dramatically when i swim more than 200m. My best 400 is 8:20.
I overrotate when breathing and feel like its hard to find the "pocket" of air to breathe in. I am also short of breath, even though i exhale all through the stroke. Breathing is very stressed.
I can correct the obvious crossing over of the arms when i concentrate, but often fall back when i get lazy or focus on other things.

I will try to get a newer video as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Annie Swing Smooth

Re: Another post about finding my swimtype.

Postby Annie Swing Smooth » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Biccbacc wrote:Hi. I really want to improve my swimming, and I want to buy the correct guide for my swimtype, but before i do that I want to make sure about what type I am!

I did a video some time ago, and my swimming has improved since then (I hope!) but I dont have any newer videos yet.

Here is the old video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SQA3cf_hA

I have used the questionare to figure out what swimtype i am, but the strokerate question is a bit confusing. I swim in a 25m pool. After a turn i kick off from the wall, I then glide a little before i start swimming. So from one side of the pool to the other I use 20 strokes (counted today). But my strokerate is 53. For a 400m i use 32seconds across the pool, that means that without the kick from the wall i would use almost 30 strokes to cover 25m.
This means that the questionare tells me that i am eiter a overglider, an arnie or a bambino. And from reading the description, I feel that they all fit to some degree.

Can someone clarify?

To help I would like to say that i can swim shorter distances relatively fast (1:45 for 100m), but this slows down dramatically when i swim more than 200m. My best 400 is 8:20.
I overrotate when breathing and feel like its hard to find the "pocket" of air to breathe in. I am also short of breath, even though i exhale all through the stroke. Breathing is very stressed.
I can correct the obvious crossing over of the arms when i concentrate, but often fall back when i get lazy or focus on other things.

I will try to get a newer video as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Biccbacc,

Judging by the footage you have uploaded and what you say, I would say you are a mixture of both the Bambino and Overglider types (but you may have developed since then, probably further into the Overglider camp, but hard to tell with 8 month old footage). You've got the basics of the stroke but still some faults of the Bambino, such as your lead arm collapses when you breathe, stroke lacks oomph etc although you're relatively streamlined. So I suggest you get the get the bambino guide, continue to work on your stroke, feel for the water and try to increase your rhythm - and then get another video done and we can give you a follow up guide if you need it, just email me on help@swimsmooth.com.

I hope that helps!
Swim Smooth Coach and Project Leader
Swimming, Triathlon & Open Water Coach

for the latest Swim Smooth gossip follow me @SwimSmoothAnnie and @swimsmooth

Annie Swing Smooth

Postby Annie Swing Smooth » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:45 pm

If you're curious, here's what I mean by the lead arm collapsing when you breathe from different angles:
http://www.swimsmooth.co.uk/images/still1.jpg
http://www.swimsmooth.co.uk/images/still2.jpg
Swim Smooth Coach and Project Leader
Swimming, Triathlon & Open Water Coach

for the latest Swim Smooth gossip follow me @SwimSmoothAnnie and @swimsmooth

Biccbacc

Postby Biccbacc » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:16 am

Thank you for your answers.

Those pictures explain a lot. I have purchased the bambino-guide, some flippers and the finis paddles. Hopefully you’ll soon see a new video with improved technique.

Return to “Swim Types!”