left front arm ok, right front arm sinking !

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Breizh Arnie

left front arm ok, right front arm sinking !

Postby Breizh Arnie » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:39 pm

hi everyone and thanks for reading this ; I'm taking Arnie development session 1 and already progress is huge ! Still 2mn/100m but down from 58 to 42 spm just learning about front quadrant catch vs "the big windmill", and having one arm extended at all times. Breathing now just feels so easy as well, thanks Swim Smooth !
Sorry I don't have a video yet, I'll try to explain. Natural breathing side is on the right. No problem with that. Left side breathing is more of a problem, not the breathing itself, but the whole gesture feels awkward, I cannot maintain my right arm extended as I take a breath, it just goes down and as a result I suspect my legs sink as well. What do I do wrong, not enough body rotation, raising my head, ? (right arm does not seem to cross the center line, and no scissor kicks)
Breathing on the right hand side just feels so natural, my head nearly rests on my left shoulder. Breathing left just feels strange. Has anyone already experienced this ? What is the best drill ? Thanks
Homo Sapiens Arnieus ; started triathlon in 2013

DolphinKick

Re: left front arm ok, right front arm sinking !

Postby DolphinKick » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Hello Breizh Arnie,

As for breathing to your bad side, take a look at the blog archives of swim smooth. They address this very topic in a few blogs (with and without paddle).

In short, the kicking on the side drill is recommended. When you are comfortable with breathing on your bad side with the kick on the side drill, then you can try 6-1-6 and 6-3-6. After that try breathing bilaterally when you swim (plenty of advice on that topic on the SS website). This sequence really helped me breathing to both sides well.

I believe you should be able to progress quite easily with the tips provided above on breathing to your bad side. Especially, that you say you already have good timing for front quadrant breathing (I still struggle with that one, any tips you could pass on).

Hope this helps.

Breizh Arnie

Re: left front arm ok, right front arm sinking !

Postby Breizh Arnie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:10 pm

hi DolphinKick, thanks for your message. I tried kick-on-side swimming and 6-1-6 yesterday, which are both part of the Arnie Development Session 2 ; like you said these two drills with fins have greatly improved confidence in breathing to my uneasy side ! Now my right arm remains more stable out front and supports the breathing sequence as should be. I will repeat this session a couple of times before moving to the next step.
You enquire about front quadrant. I used to swim without any supporting arm (both arms sinking while breathing) which accounted for very uneasy breathing. You will find several threads in this forum about front quadrant swimming. Please let me know about your progress. I'm in France, where are you ? All the best :D
Homo Sapiens Arnieus ; started triathlon in 2013

Return to “Swim Types!”