My swim type? How to continue?

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
puffer fish

My swim type? How to continue?

Postby puffer fish » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Hi everyone

I did a video analysis last week. So I am wondering about your feedback.
I received a feedback too and advice, I am just curious about a "second opinion".

Here is the video.

I am glad I did it. It helps not cultivating bad habits. I am interested to know what swim type I am and what would you recommend me to focus next, what drills.

SolarEnergy

Re: My swim type? How to continue?

Postby SolarEnergy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:53 pm

My bad, have you done synchronized swimming earlier in your life? What a great feel for water!

Not sure what the verdict's been, but I'd classify you as a smooth type with overgliding tendencies. Great feel for water, a bit of a dead spot (which might explain in part the dropped elbows), with a touch of crossing over.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

puffer fish

Re: My swim type? How to continue?

Postby puffer fish » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:52 am

thank you, Solar, and no, I didn't do synchronized swimming. Wow, even smooth. :)

Yes, the point you mentioned were points too.
First the dropped elbows, especially on one side, the slight crossing over and the little dead spot.
Further: Head to deep, to much body roll for breathing, not good catch phase, especially on the left side. Relaxation phase not so good, elbow is not always highest point.
Good points: General position in the water, no sinking legs, flexible ankles. Kicking could be a bit more, okay for now.

What they told me to do:
Increasing stroke rate, more OMPH when entering water, hand should enter deeper (about 20 cm from surface)

What was a bit confusing was their comments about body roll. They see it more as a hip roll, shoulders should be not rolling. This would be a common misunderstanding. (They are from triathlon background, so open water. Could this be a reason?)

My first swimming yesterday was not very successful. I am a bit confused now. Increasing the stroke rate made me more breathless than I am used to be. Working in progress....

Return to “Swim Types!”