Correction drill time vs.regular swimming time

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
jenniferLH

Correction drill time vs.regular swimming time

Postby jenniferLH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:19 pm

Hello all, I had video analysis done today. Oh dear. There is A LOT to fix, more than anticipated, some of which we started on today. Unfortunately I can't go back for another lesson for 4 weeks (distance, cost). In the meantime, I am curious about how other swimmers split their training time/focus between correction drill time and regular swimming time. I swim for fun and fitness, with the personal goal of getting better and perhaps entering the odd pool meet. I do not want to place all my swim time focus on drills and leave out the sprint/endurance parts, yet I'm afraid that any swimming I do other than drills will be re-enforcing bad habits. I was classified as "bambino on the way to swinger". I am not a beginner swimmer - I swam as a kid, left it, returned as an adult and have been "self-training", thus picking up many naughty habits. Thank goodness for Swim Smooth!!!! I'd really appreciate hearing from others on how they divide up their swim time/focus.
Thanks! Jennifer

SolarEnergy

Re: Correction drill time vs.regular swimming time

Postby SolarEnergy » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:22 pm

Hi Jennifer, thanks for your testimony, it is very inspiring.

Seeing ourselves for the first time often is a bit of a chock. It's normal.

First, if you purchase a swim guide, this ships with a few key sessions which should get prioritized I think. They propose the best possible balance between various elements, which pertain to your swim type. They propose at least 3 sessions I believe. By pure coincidence, very often when I coach people that are on a 3x/week regiment, I design 3 sessions which they simply repeat in loop for several weeks. So you can go for quite some time with the sessions included in the swim guides. If you're a mixed of 2 types, then I'm "sorry" you could need to purchase 2 guides (at least by curiosity). Knowing how affordable they are, you understand that I'm not really "sorry" ;)

To answer your question, I think there should be (at your level) some technique work in every session. As Paul Newsome once said, even full stroke sometimes is technique, depends on how much mind you put to it.

One cool thing about these guys or any other practice session designed and proposed by SwimSmooth is that they often include some means of allowing the benefits of the drilling to actually transfer to your swimming. It is done by "thinking" to include some sets in which you transition from drill to swim.

On top of adding about 25% of the total time spent in the pool drilling at every session, you can have one technique dedicated one which for instance would see as much as 50-70% of all time spent drilling, or more depending on the context (for instance, one might simply jump in the pool and perform 2 kilos of 6-3-6 non stop, in which case you're drilling 100% of the time for this session).

One interesting thing you might find, however this is based on my personal opinion, it's better to focus on *tha* drill which is most important for you, one you really want to master for a few weeks, or possibly more, rather than always committing to "little bit of everything" sort of approach.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

DolphinKick

Postby DolphinKick » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:32 am

Hi Jennifer,

I’m in a similar position as you, swim for fun and fitness. I also had a video done a few weeks ago (commented by Solar Energy who answered your question above) highlighting some aspects to improve.

Thus I had a similar question as what you asked. I would recommend you do as much drilling as you can but keep it fun. I for one would not want to drill for a whole swimming session. If you want to do endurance/fitness sessions by all means go for it, but then concentrate while swimming on the one aspect you want to improve. Solar Energy also explained very similar points in his answer above.

For example, in my case priority number one was to improve a dropped elbow before the catch. There are drills for that but focusing only on that aspect for a whole swimming session would be a challenge for me –I’d get bored, I like variety. But knowing how it can benefit my swimming, I did mostly technical sessions 4 times (with some whole stroke swimming at the end). The session went drill-swim, drill-swim etc. I want to do at least 6 technical sessions, but after 4 sessions, I wanted to just swim and this is what I did, but with a focus on not dropping the elbow.

I hope this helps, let us know how you decide to go about it.

SolarEnergy

Postby SolarEnergy » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Always a delight to read your takes DolphinKick.

As an aside (and pretty much off topic I'm sorry), here's the listing of all topics addressed per week during these weekly classes you started committing to:
http://blog.swimtrainingday.com/en/week ... dule/w2014

So it's a return on breathing/arm recovery on the menu for this Sunday.
SolarEnergy
Charles G. Couturier, Canadian Swimming / Triathlon Coach

jtu

Postby jtu » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:18 pm

2 weeks "hard", 1 week "easy" (all drills; at "steady" effort level)
hard weeks: 400-500m drills + main set
main set: practice all speeds: current 500m TT speed +5,+10,-5,-10% (different types of workouts) .. should give you fitness, different paces to practice.

jenniferLH

Postby jenniferLH » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Thank you so much SolarEnergy, DolphinKick & jtu for taking time to answer my question! This is all great advice. I am wondering about the swim guides - I have the SS book, as well as the DVD master catch. Will there be anything new on the swim guides that is not already included in this material, i.e. there are correction suggestions for each swim type in the book, as well as skeleton training plans into which I can insert the drills I need. Are the swim guides more detailed?
I am still chewing on the fact that I am part bambino ;) but felt inspired reading that Paul thinks bambinos also have potential to develop into decent swimmers. Also watching the video of "Hannah" gave me hope :)

Annie Swing Smooth

Postby Annie Swing Smooth » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:04 am

jenniferLH wrote:Thank you so much SolarEnergy, DolphinKick & jtu for taking time to answer my question! This is all great advice. I am wondering about the swim guides - I have the SS book, as well as the DVD master catch. Will there be anything new on the swim guides that is not already included in this material, i.e. there are correction suggestions for each swim type in the book, as well as skeleton training plans into which I can insert the drills I need. Are the swim guides more detailed?
I am still chewing on the fact that I am part bambino ;) but felt inspired reading that Paul thinks bambinos also have potential to develop into decent swimmers. Also watching the video of "Hannah" gave me hope :)

Hi Jennifer,

Really great to hear that you're making good progress and loving swimming again. If you've got the book you won't need the swim type guides too. Start with the Bambino sessions and then progress through the Swinger sessions. As Solar said all the sessions will both contain your technique and fitness elements. I hope that helps!
Swim Smooth Coach and Project Leader
Swimming, Triathlon & Open Water Coach

for the latest Swim Smooth gossip follow me @SwimSmoothAnnie and @swimsmooth

Return to “Swim Types!”