SWIMMING FITNESS QUESTION

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
superskyway1

SWIMMING FITNESS QUESTION

Postby superskyway1 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:21 pm

Hey guys, for the past 2 months I've been swimming consistently. 4-5 times a week and the stroke I use is the freestyle. Also, I swim for around an hour to an hour and half. Every time I swim I increase my laps or do each lap at 80-100% effort.
Questions:
1. Will my body get used to me only doing the front crawl/freestyle? (I can't do any other stroke because I'm still recovering from my injury)
2. Will I stop getting leaner? (I've noticed my physique becoming more evident.)
3. Is it okay to run a few kilometers after swimming?

Thanks in advance!

gavinp

Re: SWIMMING FITNESS QUESTION

Postby gavinp » Mon May 04, 2015 8:46 pm

superskyway1 wrote:1. Will my body get used to me only doing the front crawl/freestyle? (I can't do any other stroke because I'm still recovering from my injury)

This is where you need to change your swimming to a mix of technique; endurance; open water; CSS sessions. Doing this will help to relieve the boredom of just swimming up and down lanes day in day out and also help with adaption. That is, developing your stroke and getting better through technique, and getting fitter/stronger through endurance and CSS sessions. Even if you don't do open water, these types of session offer something different and a new skill to learn in the water.
superskyway1 wrote:2. Will I stop getting leaner? (I've noticed my physique becoming more evident.)

Swimming 5 days a week? Of course you will notice physical changes. Though I wouldn't expect to see massive changes other than the ones you have already seen.
superskyway1 wrote:3. Is it okay to run a few kilometers after swimming?
Yes of course.

Have fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Return to “Swim Types!”