Need help with my swim - video included

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Knudsen88

Need help with my swim - video included

Postby Knudsen88 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:03 pm

Hi guys,

I've made a little 50 sec video of my swim on YouTube. Would anyone like to check it out and give some input on where to improve?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKttVX34p4

Here are my own thoughts. Looking at it I think that the biggest issue might be that I breathe too late which causes a domino effect of bad things - left arm is super straight and seems to help on keeping my balance more than giving propulsion and there is also a slight scissor kick.

What are you thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

gavinp

Re: Need help with my swim - video included

Postby gavinp » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:45 am

HI

Well.. not too bad in a wetsuit, and looks like a nice venue too :)

A good rhythm through your stroke from the top of the water.

As you say, very straight left arm. You drop the elbow too early. Keep it high.

Late breathing out. Should be breathing out as soon as your head is in the water.

Right arm pulls out to the side to far.

Nice position in the water though with a wetsuit on :)

A BIG kick from the (right) knee when you breath to the left. Work on kick from the hip.

Have fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

Jenonsonny

Postby Jenonsonny » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:11 am

This is useful I know and understand things more.

Wattana

Postby Wattana » Tue May 03, 2016 1:04 pm

I like swimming, I know where my trainer said to me.

zed

Postby zed » Mon May 23, 2016 8:04 am

That looks cold and gloomy, where was that filmed??

Might be better off having film done when swimming without a wetsuit as that could be masking more issues.

The Dodo

Postby The Dodo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:04 am

It seems to me that as you go to breathe your left arm forgets what it's meant to do - it seems to do a straight pull, whereas your right arm has a nice high elbow pull, but then goes a bit too far away from your body (only coming closer for the push). There is a small scissor kick seen through the murky water as you go for air - an all too common problem. Despite the "improveable" UW action of the left arm, it does stay out front ram-rod straight for balance, until dropping down to a catch (not a very evident one though - whereas the right arm does a splendid high elbow catch). Was rather worried that you appeared to still be taking in air after the fingers of your right hand passed your head (see clip circa 0:23). Thought the intake of air was meant to be snappy, terminated as the hand comes level with the head, and get the head back to the front quickly. Your body roll seen from the front UW, seems to be sufficient for air intake on your RHS but the AW shot of your right arm exiting the water shows a lot of water disturbance, and so can't see if your mouth is above the water line at one time. In fact, I began to wonder if you were turning your head in preparation to inhale sufficiently early in the stroking arm's up-sweep. I think if you look at Jono's example swim (CMC DVD), you can see that he prepares for inhalation by turning his neck ready, even though his head is UW at the time. So you may be right in suspecting you are a bit late on starting inhalation.

I thought one should be able to start inhalation some when during the arm up-sweep before the arm exits the water. By comparison - the inhalation is also started during the arms up-sweep in fly stroke, before the arms exit the water - the "lift" from the 2 arms moving back/up, bringing the head above the water soon after the start of the up-sweep! With the single arm up-sweep when swimming FS, the "lift" is obviously lesser, but at a guess, would expect it to be possible to start that inhalation early, maybe when the stroking arm doing it's up-sweep is about 30 degrees below the surface. Of course, this means that the body roll - from "towards the stroking arm", to "away from the stroking arm" - must be done smartly at the transition from pull to push phases, so as to be ready for that inhalation.

Also IMO, it might be worthwhile spending a little time inhaling on every 4th arm stroke instead of 2 - that will give you a bit of time to concentrate on that left arm UW action, to make it similar to the right arm (maybe the "Morozov" straight arm action was accidental while concentrating on getting air!)

As far as I can see, you withdraw your arm from the water OK, with elbow bent, so that comes out first - i.e. can't attribute any water disturbance at arm exit (which might hinder start of inhalation) to pushing a straight arm back/out. Do you ease off the hand/arm pressure on the water towards the end of the up-sweep? That might reduce the disturbance to the water as your arm exits for recovery, making it easier to take in air towards the end of the up-sweep.

tranhaitrieu84

Postby tranhaitrieu84 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:00 am

I saw your left elbow a little bit low in recovery

Return to “Swim Types!”