Anxiety

Ask questions about Swim Types and chat to other swimmers of the same type!
Tom65

Re: Anxiety

Postby Tom65 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:43 am

You may get some responses if you post this in"talk swimming" viewforum.php?f=2
I've got no ideas for you, strange that a pull buoy makes such a difference, do you try to swim faster without it ? or kick like crazy ?

I feel upper stomach tightness after about 60 metres, haven't worked out whether it's breathing stress, anxiety or just lack of swim fitness.
Last edited by Tom65 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum locked, might go to TI's forum, looked at SS's facebook page, too many photos...ewww...for me.
New Forum http://swim.palstani.com/

gavinp

Postby gavinp » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:39 am

Hi.

I can imagine that before you get in the water that you have it on your mind(?). The negativity starts there and you carry it through with you in the water. So..

Before you get in the water, have a conversation with yourself: Acknowledge that you are going swimming and that you are going to break it down one length at a time. Don't worry about counting lengths etc at this point. Get in and swim a length. Rest as long as it takes to recover fully (i.e. easy breathing), and repeat. Do this at least ten times. You can get out at this point or carry on just doing one length at a time. That's the end of your first session. Keep doing this for a week or two (remember to have that conversation with yourself before you get in the water) until your recovery between each length shortens to say 5 seconds and/or the number of individual lengths that you are doing has increased over the time.

Breaking it down into smaller manageable chunks like this takes away the anxiety that often goes with swimming and lets you take control of your swimming. Don't worry about what others are doing around you.

After a few weeks, have that conversation with yourself before you get in the water that you are going to do at least one rep of two lengths. So, do a couple of single lengths and when you are ready, take a long rest and do at least on rep of two lengths. Recover and if you can manage it, do another one or go back to single lengths. Build slowly over time managing your anxiety before you get in the water.

Hope this helps a little. Have fun!
Swim Smooth accredited coach and
Northamptonshire based triathlon coach
http://www.trisomi.co.uk

smootharnie

Postby smootharnie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:39 am

Cut your pullbuoy to half its length (or 2/3) and try if you can still swim forever with it.
So just build swimpower while you gradually decrease the size of your lolly.
JUst heaving a pull buoy in place already can give you mental relaxation.
GO to the new swimforum, called ....... THE SWIM FORUM......swim.palstani.com

Samuel99

Postby Samuel99 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:17 pm

Hey, folks! If you feel panic and are always frightful but you do not know actually the reasons of this feeling, follow this source to find out common symptoms of anxiety and decide whether you indeed require medical aid http://skywritingservice.com/blog/dont- ... ety-attack

Return to “Swim Types!”